Automatic insertion / Pretranslate doesn't work?
Thread poster: Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:25
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Feb 24, 2016

Hi all.

I've got two files with very similar contents in one project. I've translated the first file, so the second should be mostly full/high matches. Only, it seems that the pre-translate function doesn't work, and even 101% matches are not automatically inserted when I go to the segment. The match appears in the Translation Results pane, but I have to insert and confirm it manually.
I've checked all my settings in Automatic Lookup and Insertion, as well as Auto-Propagation
... See more
Hi all.

I've got two files with very similar contents in one project. I've translated the first file, so the second should be mostly full/high matches. Only, it seems that the pre-translate function doesn't work, and even 101% matches are not automatically inserted when I go to the segment. The match appears in the Translation Results pane, but I have to insert and confirm it manually.
I've checked all my settings in Automatic Lookup and Insertion, as well as Auto-Propagation, and they should be correct. What could be the issue, any tips?

[Edited at 2016-02-24 12:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-24 12:57 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:25
English to Russian
Try 'Any match' radio button Feb 24, 2016

in the Pre-translate Lookup section.

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:25
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 24, 2016

Thanks, I got the same solution from Support but it didn't help.

The culprit was found with the help of Support: You have to check the box "Perform fragment assembling" under Pre-Translate for auto-insertion to work.

[Edited at 2016-02-24 17:03 GMT]

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
Local time: 11:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pre-translate does not work. Feb 24, 2016

If the segments on the second file are pre-translated or edited, pre-translation will not work. You should first clear all translation from those segments before pre-translating.

1. As a workaround, select both files and right-click "Create View".

2. Simply glue documents together. Give a name to the view and press Enter.

3. memoQ will create the view at the view tab. Open the view.

4. Select all segments from file1 in the view and p... See more
If the segments on the second file are pre-translated or edited, pre-translation will not work. You should first clear all translation from those segments before pre-translating.

1. As a workaround, select both files and right-click "Create View".

2. Simply glue documents together. Give a name to the view and press Enter.

3. memoQ will create the view at the view tab. Open the view.

4. Select all segments from file1 in the view and press Ctrl+Enter

In this way, you will propagate repetitions across files.

[Editat el 2016-02-24 16:25 GMT]

[Editat el 2016-02-24 16:25 GMT]
Collapse

Kirill Loktionov
Kirill Loktionov
Hungary
Local time: 11:25
English to Russian
+ ...
Back to the theme Jul 21, 2019

Hi guys! A part of the same problem - trying MemoQ instead of Trados and cannot find the setting for the correct insert. Scanning and auto inserting best results are ticked but I guess those are not what I'm looking for, 'cause I don't need them "after confirming", just when I click on the segment. E.g. I go to the blank/cleared segment, the TM finds a 99% or smth unit but doesn't insert it by itself, I have to do it manually. The same is when I join segments, the 101% match is shown, but is not... See more
Hi guys! A part of the same problem - trying MemoQ instead of Trados and cannot find the setting for the correct insert. Scanning and auto inserting best results are ticked but I guess those are not what I'm looking for, 'cause I don't need them "after confirming", just when I click on the segment. E.g. I go to the blank/cleared segment, the TM finds a 99% or smth unit but doesn't insert it by itself, I have to do it manually. The same is when I join segments, the 101% match is shown, but is not auto inserted. Thou sometimes I got lucky but seems only with assembled units. That was mush easier in Trados. Cannot find the setting in help manuals. So what am I missing?

[Edited at 2019-07-21 11:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-07-21 11:11 GMT]
Collapse

Vu Nguyen

Vu Nguyen
Vu Nguyen
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
having same problem Aug 27, 2020

All settings are correct but still sometimes without auto-insertion (not all the time). But when I go back to the previous segment, confirm it again, then auto-insertion happens. If first time doesn't work, go back and do it again, it will, always.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:25
English to Russian
Depends on status Aug 13, 2022

Kirill Loktionov wrote:
Scanning and auto inserting best results are ticked... E.g. I go to the blank/cleared segment, the TM finds a 99% or smth unit but doesn't insert it by itself, I have to do it manually.
Even though this topic is pretty old, the issue still exists today.
I have noticed that it happens when you put cursor to a segment that has any status other than "Not started" (grey marker). When you go to such grey segment, memoQ inserts a hit as designed. However, when you go to a pale-orange 'Edited' segment, say 90%, or even 101% that can be when you remove translation (not Clear Translations, but simply press Del) and it changes from a green 101% confirmed segment to 'Edited', memoQ won't insert anything even if the segment is blank. If you want to insert segments automatically, you have to change the segment status to 'Not started'. You can do it by using either the 'Clear Translations...' command (in this case you remove all target text and set the percentage value to 0), or the 'Change Segment Status' command (you don't remove the target text nor you change the percentage but simply change the status and its color to grey). When the status is 'Not started', no matter whether it is populated or whether it is a 0% or 101% match, memoQ will insert the best match.
Pretty complicated explanation but I hope you can understand it if you fiddle with statuses and Clear Translations and Change Segment Status commands.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic insertion / Pretranslate doesn't work?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »