MemoQ and remote TMs for Wordfast
Thread poster: pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 9, 2011

I had the chance to try MemoQ Pro for a project I did earlier this year and I am considering buying the program.
But another agency I work a lot with often uses Wordfast and their remote TMs and I cannot figure if I would be able to work with them using MemoQ.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:52
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
The answer is no Dec 9, 2011

Unfortunately, no, you won't be able to connect to remote TMs of Wordfast using memoQ.

Let's hope that in the near future we see some progress in the direction of this kind of interoperability.

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too bad! Dec 9, 2011

That's too bad as I make extensive use of remote TMs and it's something I cannot really work without.
Thank you very much for your prompt reply!

Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 04:52
English to Polish
+ ...
I don't know if it solves your problem... Dec 28, 2011

... but I've just found out a great way of sharing TM online with others without the need of using a dedicated server. The solution is called Dropbox - you install it on your computer and other computers and it creates a folder which you can share with other people and - that's important for TM - where changes in files are visible in real time.

I haven't checked it for MemoQ, as I don't have it, but in Wordfast it works OK.
I and my colleague translator share TMs and Glossarie
... See more
... but I've just found out a great way of sharing TM online with others without the need of using a dedicated server. The solution is called Dropbox - you install it on your computer and other computers and it creates a folder which you can share with other people and - that's important for TM - where changes in files are visible in real time.

I haven't checked it for MemoQ, as I don't have it, but in Wordfast it works OK.
I and my colleague translator share TMs and Glossaries and everything works fine.

It's not a perfect solution, as I believe Server options offered by CAT developers are much more versatile, but for basic sharing of TMs and glossaries its ideal.
Collapse

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes Dec 28, 2011

I already use that solution with my business partner, but of course I cannot use this when the translation agency works with many many translators and has its own memory translation server.
Basically is not my choice which CAT use nor where to archive the TM.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
I wouldn't recommend Dropbox for sharing TM's in real time Dec 28, 2011

pro-lingua wrote:
I and my colleague translator share TMs and Glossaries and everything works fine.

Letting Dropbox access memoQ TM's while they are used in memoQ is a sure recipe for troubles.

Wordfast is probably more lenient, but I would rather host TM's and glossaries to be shared in Wordfast Anywhere, as explained here: http://youtu.be/U5koj6WuMaY?hd=1

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Wordfast Anywhere Jan 19, 2012

Paola Slajmer wrote:

I had the chance to try MemoQ Pro for a project I did earlier this year and I am considering buying the program.
But another agency I work a lot with often uses Wordfast and their remote TMs and I cannot figure if I would be able to work with them using MemoQ.

Dear Paola,

You can keep using Wordfast Anywhere for Wordfast Pro TXML files and Remote TMs; you can create a free account at www.FreeTM.com

Here is how to use Wordfast Remote TMs through Wordfast Anywhere: http://youtu.be/zLPpeBzH3bM

HTH,
Yasmin

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nice trick with online TMs Jan 19, 2012

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
You can keep using Wordfast Anywhere for Wordfast Pro TXML files and Remote TMs; you can create a free account at www.FreeTM.com. Here is how to use Wordfast Remote TMs through Wordfast Anywhere: http://youtu.be/zLPpeBzH3bM

That is a neat trick, thanks. Tis a pity one can't do context searches in the online TM using WFA, but at least WFA reports the number of TUs in the online TM (something WFP doesn't do).

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Interoperability Wordfast Server and MemoQ Jul 23, 2014

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Unfortunately, no, you won't be able to connect to remote TMs of Wordfast using memoQ.

Let's hope that in the near future we see some progress in the direction of this kind of interoperability.

Wordfast published the API for Wordfast Server, and I think MemoQ can now connect to a Wordfast Server remote TM.
Unfortunately, I have yet to see it done and not sure it has been released publicly. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!
John

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:52
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Wordfast TM plugin works in memoQ 8.7! May 5, 2019

John Di Rico wrote:

Wordfast published the API for Wordfast Server, and I think MemoQ can now connect to a Wordfast Server remote TM.
Unfortunately, I have yet to see it done and not sure it has been released publicly. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!
John

I just got it to work in memoQ 8.7!

Michael

Philippe Locquet

Barbara Carvalho
Barbara Carvalho  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to English
+ ...
HOW? May 23, 2019

Michael Beijer wrote:

John Di Rico wrote:

Thanks!
John

I just got it to work in memoQ 8.7!

Michael

Please let us know how you did that. Thank you.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No time now (deadlines!), but will try to return to this thread at some point and explain. May 24, 2019

Hi Barbara,

Have a look over at: https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/334415-a_wordfast_server_thread_at_last-page2.html#2795822

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ and remote TMs for Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »