Marc Rizkallah  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 22:25
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Jun 17, 2010

Hi everyone,

I see the search boxes to find terms either in source or target documents.
However is there a find/replace function - specifically for more than one document?

Here's what I'm trying to do. I've been translating a term incorrectly in multiple documents and now I get a better term, so I want to replace all the old parts of this term with the new. I can't just update my translation memories because the term might be within a whole bunch of different so
... See more
Hi everyone,

I see the search boxes to find terms either in source or target documents.
However is there a find/replace function - specifically for more than one document?

Here's what I'm trying to do. I've been translating a term incorrectly in multiple documents and now I get a better term, so I want to replace all the old parts of this term with the new. I can't just update my translation memories because the term might be within a whole bunch of different source segments. (right?)

Tomas? (are you paid for this? you should be...!)

THANKS!!!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Very easy Jun 17, 2010

The Find and replace dialog box contains all you need: you must enable the "Scope" checkbox, so that you get the full dialog box. In the lower part, choose "Project", i.e. search and replace in all files of your project. Then you enable the "Replace" box, enter whatever you wish to replace your wrong term with, and click "Replace all".

Now the term is replaced in all files. Since you should review any segments you may have altered in the process, all segments changed are returned to
... See more
The Find and replace dialog box contains all you need: you must enable the "Scope" checkbox, so that you get the full dialog box. In the lower part, choose "Project", i.e. search and replace in all files of your project. Then you enable the "Replace" box, enter whatever you wish to replace your wrong term with, and click "Replace all".

Now the term is replaced in all files. Since you should review any segments you may have altered in the process, all segments changed are returned to the "Edited" status, so that you can easily find them in the files, review them, and confirm them again.

Another alternative since you have a workstation version is to select all files in the Translations pane and choose "Create View". Choose a name for the view and accept the view. Now you will be in the "Views" tab of the Translations pane. The view you have created contains all the segments from all your files, and you can process them exactly the same way you would process a single file (filter, sort segments, search and replace, confirm, etc. etc. etc.). Any change you make in the view is also made in the corresponding file. The view just makes global operations a bit easier if you wish.

I hope this helps!

PS: And no, I don't get paid by Kilgray! I am just happy to help others enjoy this great tool and its advantages.
Collapse

Marc Rizkallah
Marc Rizkallah  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow, impressive! Jun 17, 2010

I'm almost embarrassed. Usually Find/Replace is under Edit, here it's under Operations - still no excuse.

The "View" trick seems very useful as well. I'll try it out.

You're amazing Tomás, thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find / Replace (in all documents)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »