Error message when reimporting a bilingual file: "segments skipped because source text is different"
Thread poster: Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz
Olaf Reibedanz  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 06:29
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 1, 2010

Hi everybody,

I just imported three small Word documents into MemoQ, created a view for those three files and, after finishing the translation of this view, exported it into a bilingual two-column RTF file. Then I edited the text of the bilingual table and reimported it into MemoQ (by highlighting the name of the view and then clicking on "Import/update bilingual"). However, during the import process I got the following error message:

"Segments skipped because source
... See more
Hi everybody,

I just imported three small Word documents into MemoQ, created a view for those three files and, after finishing the translation of this view, exported it into a bilingual two-column RTF file. Then I edited the text of the bilingual table and reimported it into MemoQ (by highlighting the name of the view and then clicking on "Import/update bilingual"). However, during the import process I got the following error message:

"Segments skipped because source text is different: 57"

In total, the updated file has 112 segments so this means that roughly one in two segments is concerned. Has anybody an idea why I got this error message? As far as I know, all that I changed in the source column of the bilingual table is that I highlighted certain difficult/unclear terms. But I can hardly imagine that this caused the problem. Nor did I join/split any segments so this cannot be the problem either.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind regards,

Olaf
Collapse

Olaf Reibedanz
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved - but still intreagued Jun 2, 2010

I have just solved the problem by doing this:
1) export my view as an RTF table again
2) replace the target columnn of that new RTF table by the target colunn of my edited bilingual file (the one that gave me the error message when trying to import)
3) reimport the RTF table into MemoQ

Strangely, this worked. But I am befuddled because I had not made any changes to the source column in the edited RTF table, other than highlighting certain words (and removing the h
... See more
I have just solved the problem by doing this:
1) export my view as an RTF table again
2) replace the target columnn of that new RTF table by the target colunn of my edited bilingual file (the one that gave me the error message when trying to import)
3) reimport the RTF table into MemoQ

Strangely, this worked. But I am befuddled because I had not made any changes to the source column in the edited RTF table, other than highlighting certain words (and removing the highlihgts subsequently).

Any ideas what might have caused the problem?
Collapse

T F F
T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:29
English to Italian
Have you tried... Jun 2, 2010

...to un-check the "Update target segment even if source is different in imported file" checkbox when reimport the table?

I suspect that if you just touch - or even look too intensively at the source text - MemoQ perceives this as a "modify" and consequentely inform you that something has changed in the source text...If it doesn't matter to you, you can communicate it to the tool, and have it obeying your des
... See more
...to un-check the "Update target segment even if source is different in imported file" checkbox when reimport the table?

I suspect that if you just touch - or even look too intensively at the source text - MemoQ perceives this as a "modify" and consequentely inform you that something has changed in the source text...If it doesn't matter to you, you can communicate it to the tool, and have it obeying your desire!

just a funny way to look at the problems...Good luck!
RR
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:29
French to Polish
+ ...
You had made changes... Jun 2, 2010

Olaf Reibedanz wrote:

Strangely, this worked. But I am befuddled because I had not made any changes to the source column in the edited RTF table, other than highlighting certain words (and removing the highlihgts subsequently).

Any ideas what might have caused the problem?

So, you had made changes
The problem is Word is a WYSIWIG environment and some invisible formatting info changed.
For a human, it seems the same but MQ acts as a machine.

Cheers
GG

Olaf Reibedanz
Colombia
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks GG and RR! Jun 3, 2010

You are right, that makes sense

I have yet another question though: after reimporting my bilingual RTF file into my MemoQ project [and this time I made sure to check "Update target segment even if source is different in imported file"] two words in the target column are now surrounded by a strange grey box with six corners - do you know what I mean? And in the final export, these two words come out like < this />, loo
... See more
You are right, that makes sense

I have yet another question though: after reimporting my bilingual RTF file into my MemoQ project [and this time I made sure to check "Update target segment even if source is different in imported file"] two words in the target column are now surrounded by a strange grey box with six corners - do you know what I mean? And in the final export, these two words come out like < this />, looking like an html code. Have you ever encountered this and/or do you know why this happens?

I guess this occurs because I have played with the formatting of the RTF text, highlighting all the words that I wanted my proofreader to take a particular look at, and then un-highlighting the whole text at the end, before reimporting it; but strangely, those two words in question were not among the ones that I had highlighted.

So basically, I changed the formatting of the entire text, which MemoQ doesn't seem to like. But why did MemoQ pick out two words and put them into those strange boxes - and why not any of the other words?

I hope I manged to describe the problem clearly - if not, please ask for clarification

Thanks again for your insights!

Olaf

[Edited at 2010-06-03 19:57 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message when reimporting a bilingual file: "segments skipped because source text is different"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »