MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 17:52
Italian to German
+ ...
Apr 20, 2010

Hi,

here is a suggestion for the Devs:

I've been using MemoQ 4 for a while now and the "fragment assemble" feature does very fine in syntactical close languages (like EN-FR).
For other language combinations like EN-DE it would be nice if I could just on the fly insert all those blue-marked Termbase entries WITHOUT any parts of the source language
(DVX users surely use this a lot).

As a finesse: I think about a shortcut like CTRL-T321 where the
... See more
Hi,

I've been using MemoQ 4 for a while now and the "fragment assemble" feature does very fine in syntactical close languages (like EN-FR).
For other language combinations like EN-DE it would be nice if I could just on the fly insert all those blue-marked Termbase entries WITHOUT any parts of the source language
(DVX users surely use this a lot).

As a finesse: I think about a shortcut like CTRL-T321 where the 3rd expression is inserted first, then the 2nd expression and finally the first. Would be very nice!

What do you think? would this be useful to you?

Mike

[Edited at 2010-04-20 11:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-20 11:52 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Would make sense to me too! Apr 20, 2010

This is a very good idea indeed. Would be quite handy, in situations in which we want to use the terminology but prefer not to have the pre-assembled segment. Yes, OK, I know that all we need is to press Ctrl+ and the number of the term, but this would certainly save some time.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Comparing to DVX.... Apr 20, 2010

MikeTrans wrote:

For other language combinations like EN-DE it would be nice if I could just on the fly insert all those blue-marked Termbase entries WITHOUT any parts of the source language (DVX users surely use this a lot).

Well.
As a DVX user and I prefer rather to activate the Insert source text for failed portions (in this way, I don't really need to read the source text if I know perfectly my "substitution table") but sometimes the suppression of the source text makes more sense.
More freedom is always welcome

As a finesse: I think about a shortcut like CTRL-T321 where the 3rd expression is inserted first, then the 2nd expression and finally the first. Would be very nice!

It makes sense only when you have few term hits.
Imagine a sequence for terms #13, 7 then 19.
I would prefer a DVX like insertion method for hits above 19.
Yes, I have a lot of hits above 19

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-04-20 12:16 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Insertables lock Apr 20, 2010

If the terms/segments are inserted automatically, maybe it might be useful to have a "insertables lock" shortcut. This would make them to behave like tags and not like text.

The advantages:
- Much easier navigation around the portions (Ctrl+arrow would skip the entire portion)
- Visual indication of automatic portions (and the source text that needs to be translated, if it is also inserted)
- Easier to move portions around in the segment

The disadvanta
... See more
If the terms/segments are inserted automatically, maybe it might be useful to have a "insertables lock" shortcut. This would make them to behave like tags and not like text.

The advantages:
- Much easier navigation around the portions (Ctrl+arrow would skip the entire portion)
- Visual indication of automatic portions (and the source text that needs to be translated, if it is also inserted)

The disadvantages:
- Portions which need editing might be harder to spot
- Editing the "locked" portion would require an additional keypress

Naturally, this would make much more sense for repeating portions of the sentence and not for typical vocabulary terms (i.e. for Grzegorz). Also, locking non-100% portions would probably be a bad idea (as they would usually require editing).

Just an idea...

[Edited at 2010-04-20 13:32 GMT]
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Insertables lock... fuzzy terminology recognition... Apr 20, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:

But they should display the text, of course.

The advantages:

Yep.

The disadvantages:
- Portions which need editing might be harder to spot

If the text is displayed, it's not a very big problem IMO.

- Editing the "locked" portion would require an additional keypress

Well.
It depends of the language.
In some cases your idea will work as a charm, is some cases it would be rather a problem.
I suppose it may be a pain in the arse for Polish.
With our grammar...

Naturally, this would make much more sense for repeating portions of the sentence and not for typical vocabulary terms (i.e. for Grzegorz).

I consider the termbases rather than a set of portions than a set of terms.
But even in this case, I'm often forced to correct some endings in the middle of a portion, e.g. when the original portion was in singular and the plural is needed.

Also, locking non-100% portions would probably be a bad idea (as they would usually require editing).

Yep.
E.g. the problem is how you should consider termhits with wildcards.
E.g. EN "black cat" i.e. PL "czarn|y kot*", two tags or one?

IMO the idea is indeed interesting but the implementation may be a huge problem.
I think the Kilgray guys have more urgent things to do...

BTW.
The automatic fuzzy terminology recognition (stemming) is still somewhere at the end of the "to do" list?
The current wildcard solution is OK for the terms added on the fly but when you import a huge termlist for a source language as Polish, it's almost unusable.

Cheers
GG

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shortcuts for group insertions Apr 21, 2010

I just realized that with a lot of entries and multiple entries for the same term, a shortcut for establishing the order of insertion would not be so handy (you must erase afterwards, so there's no advantage.).

Yet, inserting all entries at once without the source text would still be convenient depending on how the Termbase is used in the fist place.

Grzegorz, you write: "I consider the termbases rather than a set of portions than a set of terms."

This is
... See more
I just realized that with a lot of entries and multiple entries for the same term, a shortcut for establishing the order of insertion would not be so handy (you must erase afterwards, so there's no advantage.).

Yet, inserting all entries at once without the source text would still be convenient depending on how the Termbase is used in the fist place.

Grzegorz, you write: "I consider the termbases rather than a set of portions than a set of terms."

This is very interesting and important, as this is the right concept for languages in which the translation mostly follows the order of words in the source (linear syntax).
This is however not the case for German vs. latin languages, as in my case: After major term insertions, I just have to 'shake' the entire sentence, say to reverse the order of words (or your proposed "set of portions").
That's also the reason for my suggestion.

MemoQ has shown a very interesting development from v.2 up to v.4. Let's see what happens next!

Mike
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Moving blocks of text... Apr 21, 2010

MikeTrans wrote:

This is very interesting and important, as this is the right concept for languages in which the translation mostly follows the order of words in the source (linear syntax).
This is however not the case for German vs. latin languages, as in my case: After major term insertions, I just have to 'shake' the entire sentence, say to reverse the order of words (or your proposed "set of portions").
That's also the reason for my suggestion.

In my case, the FR-PL word order is somehow comparable but EN-PL is often quite different.
But I can use Ctrl+Shift+B/N in order to swap rapidly the word order.
E.g. you select 3 words (using Ctrl+Shift+right arrow), then hit 2 times Ctrl+Shift+N in order to move 'em two words to the right.
Of course, it will be somehow harder for DE but it's still interesting

MemoQ has shown a very interesting development from v.2 up to v.4. Let's see what happens next!

We'll see.
Ctrl+Shift+B/N was introduced in MQ 4.0 and it makes a damn difference

Cheers
GG

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Shortcut commands Apr 21, 2010

Thanks a lot, Grzegorz, for this tip! I will often use that one.
It seems like in a better game: there are some hidden powerups

For the forum seachers, here are some other useful undocumented keys:

SHIFT-F3 ------------- Toggle Case (already listed in this forum)
CTRL+SHIFT+PageUP ----- Select from cursor to begin of segment
CTRL+SHIFT+PageDown --- Select from cursor to end of segment... See more
Thanks a lot, Grzegorz, for this tip! I will often use that one.
It seems like in a better game: there are some hidden powerups

For the forum seachers, here are some other useful undocumented keys:

SHIFT-F3 ------------- Toggle Case (already listed in this forum)
CTRL+SHIFT+PageUP ----- Select from cursor to begin of segment
CTRL+SHIFT+PageDown --- Select from cursor to end of segment

[Edited at 2010-04-21 21:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-21 21:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-04-21 21:35 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Insert All Termbase Entries Only

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »