Thread poster: simon tanner
simon tanner
simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:25
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 22, 2010

Just started using my brand new copy of MemoQ4, and am a little perplexed by the fact that some of the words in my target column are underlined with little red squiggly lines (as if they were spelled wrong). I wouldn't mind, but they're spelled correctly! Does anyone know why and/or how I can get rid of this annoyance?
Thanks in advance,
Simon

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:25
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Happens here, too Feb 22, 2010

Check if you have set up the dictionaries correctly for the target language. If you decide to use a Hunspell dictionary (you can dowload it from within MemoQ, from where you set up which dictionary to use for each (target) language), then spell checking happens on-the-fly. That's the reason for the squiggly lines. But, yes, many correctly spelled words are underlined with the Greek Hunspell dictionary, too, and it is very annoying indeed. On top of that, there is no option to right click and cho... See more
Check if you have set up the dictionaries correctly for the target language. If you decide to use a Hunspell dictionary (you can dowload it from within MemoQ, from where you set up which dictionary to use for each (target) language), then spell checking happens on-the-fly. That's the reason for the squiggly lines. But, yes, many correctly spelled words are underlined with the Greek Hunspell dictionary, too, and it is very annoying indeed. On top of that, there is no option to right click and choose "add to dictionary", which should be included.

Also, they should include the ability to define two dictionaries to be used for checking the target text. It's translation we do, and often we include portions of the source text untranslatable, so the CAT tool should accomodate by being clever enough to check both in the source & target language spelling dictionaries when spell checking our work, be it on the fly or after having finished the translation process (by hitting F7).

[Edited at 2010-02-22 17:42 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Punctuation marks? Feb 22, 2010

I tested it with Turkish; when a word is followed by a punctuation mark, it is underlined.

Mikhail Popov
Mikhail Popov
Montenegro
English to Russian
+ ...
Punctuation is a problem in Russian too Feb 23, 2010

Same problem with Russian words. Comma gives red line, but no always. Strange.

And when I pressed F7 and tried to manually check the whole text and add unknown words to Hunspell dictionary - ADD button is not active at all! So I can't remove these red lines on properly typed words.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Exactly Feb 23, 2010

That's what I've noticed, too: there is no way to add a word to the spelling dictionary! The button is deactivated.

But, apart from that, there should be an option to add a word in a spelling dictionary in the context menu, i.e. when you right click on a word underlined as erroneous.

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the solution? Feb 23, 2010

nice to know I'm not the only one. yes, now you come to mention it, the underlined words are often next to a punctuation mark.

I know our friends at kilgray keep an eye on this forum, so any solutions? It really is most irritating...

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
punctuation marks Feb 23, 2010

I went and checked, and in fact ALL the wrongly underlined words are next to a punctuation mark, whether a comma, full-stop, bracket or whatever. Very strange. I'll try changing the spell-schecker to see if that helps.

5 minutes later.....

No, the problem happens regardless of whether I use MS Word or Hunspell.

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
punctuation marks Feb 23, 2010

The developers are aware of this bug and have promised to fix it in one of the coming builds.

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
fixed for the next build Feb 24, 2010

Hello All,

Tomasz Sienicki wrote:

The developers are aware of this bug and have promised to fix it in one of the coming builds.

I can confirm this is fixed for the next build.

Best regards,
Gergely

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
promised and delivered Feb 24, 2010

The newest version - 4.0.19 - is free of this bug (and 25 others, for that matter).

simon tanner
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
impressed Feb 25, 2010

once again, impressed with the rapid feedback and customer support of you guys at Kilgray. Look forward to downloading the bug-free build.
All the best,
Simon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

underlined words in MemoQ 4

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »