Froukje Frijlink  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:10
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 7, 2010

Hi fellow translators,

I've run in to a problem with MemoQ and I hope to find a solution as I would have waisted a lot of days otherwise. I work with MemoQ for a large software company and they have given me a MemoQ 1.0 Corporate license which expires on 11/2/2010 and a ELM server (209.53.113.154). The ELM expires on 28/2/2010. When I look in the MemoQ Activation screen I also have a MemoQ 3.5 MemoQ4Free license which never expires. I've been working on a large project the last few
... See more
Hi fellow translators,

I've run in to a problem with MemoQ and I hope to find a solution as I would have waisted a lot of days otherwise. I work with MemoQ for a large software company and they have given me a MemoQ 1.0 Corporate license which expires on 11/2/2010 and a ELM server (209.53.113.154). The ELM expires on 28/2/2010. When I look in the MemoQ Activation screen I also have a MemoQ 3.5 MemoQ4Free license which never expires. I've been working on a large project the last few days and by yesterday I had the project near finished. This morning, when I started MemoQ the project did not show under recently opened projects. When I click on Open Project I can find a folder with the name of the project in the My MemoQ folder, but it is empty. There is nothing in it. Please excuses me for my ignorance as I don't have a lot of experience with MemoQ yet, and I'm obviously panicking that all my work has been for nothing.

I had a usb stick in the computer while working the last few days, and I noticed to my surprise that there is a folder with a configuration file and translation documents there. Below these files are two TMP files, both of the same date (yesterday) and one is called TMP and the other is called TMP2. The only difference between the two seems to be the time they were created. In the configuration file I find items: 5 MSR files and one QAX file. The QAX file is a lot older than the other 6 files, which are all of yesterday. In the folder translation documents I find a MRD file, but again a lot older and not from yesterday- so I'm assuming not up to date work.

I've set up the project using a couple of TM's and a couple of TB's, one of the TB and one of the TM being on a server of the software company, the other ones local. This morning when I tried to resume working, the project can't be found as I mentioned. As I'm not experienced I thought I'd had to reconnect to the server. A pop up screen comes up with: the server activator could not be loaded, possibly because the server is not installed.In the server administrator screen the server url is not connected and when I try to connect a pop up screen comes up with: you don't have enough rights to perform the operation. Again, please forgive my ignorance, but has the fact that one TB and one TM are registered remote got anything to do with the fact that I can't find back my project? I can open other projects and the program connects to the server to update the files without a problem.

I'd appreciate any input or suggestions, thank you!

Best regards,

Froukje
Collapse

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:10
Member (2008)
Czech to English
+ ...
Ask them directly... Feb 7, 2010

Hi Froukje,

I'm afraid my head has Sunday night syndrome, and I can't really work out what you're asking! However, when I have had queries, I've asked them by email and received prompt, useful and clear responses.

Good luck!

Jenny

Froukje Frijlink
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 7, 2010

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your reply. What I'm asking is basically this: where can I find my 80% done project? I've emailed them, so I hope to get a reply soon although they will still be in the weekend as well.

Thanks,

Regards, Froukje

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:10
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
It has happened to me, too Feb 7, 2010

When I had the trial version of MemoQ installed, I myself run into a similar problem: the trial expired without me having completed a project I was working on. But it did not disappear, I think. I remember exporting the TM and finishing the project in another TM (I didn't have any credit left at the time to buy the full version of MemoQ, but I did buy it subsequently!).

[Edited at 2010-02-07 20:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-02-07 20:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-02-07 20:48 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Search? Feb 7, 2010

This may be a stupid question, but I'll risk it: have you tried searching your whole computer for files with .mpr extenstion?

Froukje Frijlink
Netherlands
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No .mrp file there... Feb 7, 2010

Hi,

Not a stupid question at all I've searched for a .mpr file, but there is none for this project. I do have a .sdf file (SQL Server Compact Edition Database)....?

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Strange... Feb 7, 2010

Looking at my setup it seems that .mpr should be in the directory directly above .sdf.

If it is any consolation, it seems that the .sdf file contains the actual work you've done - let's hope Kilgray's wizards will help you recover it.

If you want to experiment, try to create a project with the same documents, close MemoQ and just copy the old .sdf over the new one. I doubt it will work, but who knows... Remember to work on copies only, don't
... See more
Looking at my setup it seems that .mpr should be in the directory directly above .sdf.

If it is any consolation, it seems that the .sdf file contains the actual work you've done - let's hope Kilgray's wizards will help you recover it.

If you want to experiment, try to create a project with the same documents, close MemoQ and just copy the old .sdf over the new one. I doubt it will work, but who knows... Remember to work on copies only, don't mix up the old files and the new files. Sorry for the stern warning, but when in panic it is easy to do something wrong!

Also, I am not sure why losing a project itself is such an issue? As long as you have TM (and hopefully you have "context TM" on), you can recreate your work quite fast?
Collapse

Sara MF

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disappeared project in MemoQ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »