Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 27, 2010

Hi All,

for those who use MemoQ regularly, what, in your opinion, makes it a better CAT tool than the competition?

I'm interested both from the point of view of a "simple" freelancer, and also from that of an outsourcer.

TIA,
Jose

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A quick summary Jan 27, 2010

We in the office user MemoQ Server with the Online Documents add-in (i.e. the documents are stored in the server and we work on them, not in our local workstation copies), so this feedback is probably more focused on teamwork than MemoQ as a standalone tool.

We are a team of 3 people (4 people very soon with a trainee who is joining in a few days) and have a 5-license server version. We don't outsource any work in our language pairs (we do occasionally outsource in other language pa
... See more
We in the office user MemoQ Server with the Online Documents add-in (i.e. the documents are stored in the server and we work on them, not in our local workstation copies), so this feedback is probably more focused on teamwork than MemoQ as a standalone tool.

We are a team of 3 people (4 people very soon with a trainee who is joining in a few days) and have a 5-license server version. We don't outsource any work in our language pairs (we do occasionally outsource in other language pairs, but don't use MemoQ in the process). We translate everything in-house. So we are neither a single freelancer nor an outsourcer, really.

To us there are two main types of advantages:
A. Productivity:
- We lose less time and can concentrate on better translations because MemoQ helps you a lot with ultra-fast concordance information (you don't have to look for it; it is offered automatically), really visible terminology information and even lots of auto-assembled proposals that are valid with little editing. Of course this happens when you already have a nice memory for a customer and termbases. Maintaining the terminology is tremendously easy, although not as powerful as other options like Trados' Multiterm.

- When we have to pause a job and start or resume a different one, which happens very often here every day because we work for many customers with changing deadlines, we don't have to spend time selecting another memory, linking termbases, or browsing for files. It is as simple as changing projects and you are even taken to the point where you had left it.

- When within a file we are editing something in a file in process and want to continue where we stopped, we simply press Ctrl+G and continue working. MemoQ takes you where you were in a flash.

B. Teamwork:
- With the Online Documents add-in, several people can be translating, editing and proofreading at the same time. We in many cases finish translating a long job and are ready to deliver in a few minutes because review and proofreading have been taking place at the same time, just a few segments behind the translator.

- We can easily split the work between several people, by simply assigning files to different team members.

There are things in the Server version we dislike and hope are corrected soon, like the fact that you cannot create views as in the standalone version, you cannot merge or split segments (this is the thing we dislike most!!), and other things, but all in all the change from Trados (2007/2008, we decided not to lose time with 2009) has been very positive and has probably meant a boost of 20-25% in productivity in most customers.

We still have an account in which we still use Trados because of an important limitation in MemoQ (lack of automatic replacement of tags as happens in Trados TagEditor). Once that limitation is fixed (Kilgray say it could be done by release 4.2), this account will move to MemoQ and will enjoy a big productivity push.

We also feel that quality has also improved as we can concentrate more in the flow of the text instead of clicking around and having to use complex shortcuts for concordance, terminology, and tags.

I hope this is useful information!
Collapse

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In house team Jan 27, 2010

Hi Tomás,

Thank you v.much for your opinions!

That's all I expected from MemoQ, from what I've been reading, and that's good news.

Is the price of the Server/LSP5 version confidential, or are at liberty to inform?

Does MemoQ make it easier for you to use certain file formats, or exchange data - TMs, glossaries, files to be edited - with other translators? Such as when you have to outsource language pairs you don't do in-house?

TIA
... See more
Hi Tomás,

Thank you v.much for your opinions!

That's all I expected from MemoQ, from what I've been reading, and that's good news.

Is the price of the Server/LSP5 version confidential, or are at liberty to inform?

Does MemoQ make it easier for you to use certain file formats, or exchange data - TMs, glossaries, files to be edited - with other translators? Such as when you have to outsource language pairs you don't do in-house?

TIA,
Jose
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
More information... and a caution Jan 27, 2010

Jose Ruivo wrote:

I would need to check the invoices, but it was around Eur 5,500 for the Server with 5 licenses and Online Documents.

Jose Ruivo wrote:

I must say that we still make a rather heavy use of Trados TagEditor as most of our customers are all-Trados, and we use TagEditor as the interchange format for files. We still use TagEditor a lot for PowerPoint files (we make a TTX file from the PPT file and work on the TTX file in MemoQ), as we feel that the PowerPoint filter is "not quite there" in MemoQ. As for memories, termbases, etc., we simply use TMX (1.4) and comma-separated files.

I must issue an important caution here: it is NOT to be expected that a TMX file from a Trados memory containing heavy use of in-line tags (for instance if you translated a lot for InDesign or FrameMaker files in Trados) will work perfectly from day one in MemoQ. MemoQ apparently does not interpret in-line tags the same way from the TMX file and you might have to add tags in segments that were 100% matches in Trados. We have done a host of experiments in this area and still haven't found a solution for this. If you move from Trados to MemoQ and have memories with heavy use of in-line tags, expect some "rough air" in this area!

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
It's all in the bottle Jan 27, 2010

Jose Ruivo wrote:
... what, in your opinion, makes it a better CAT tool than the competition?

I'm interested both from the point of view of a "simple" freelancer, and also from that of an outsourcer.

Vast quantities of Unicum.

Other than that, it depends on what types of projects you do and what your customer's expectations are. In some cases it isn't better at all. Yet.

A couple of years ago I pretty much wrote the tool off as cute but not ready for prime time. That changed with the 3.5 release last year, and the pace of technical progress is such that I am generally very optimistic about the future of that working environment. As of version 4 (which I am testing), it is indeed the best tool for most of what I need to do, though I do have to use integrated workflows with Trados or other tools in some cases.

You can read the features in a list on the web site and make a reasonably valid comparison with other platforms. However, what really makes the product shine for me is the high quality of support. Beats any other company with whom I have current experience.

For the "simple" freelancer? Well, I got my partner working productively with the tool in about 10 minutes. It helped that I could load a preferences file with the keyboard shortcut settings for her old tool, so the ergonomics were basically the same.

For an outsourcer? This could be a long list. Nice interoperability with other tools. Simple project management. It's a no-brainer to organize projects on the old server. Haven't looked at the new one yet.

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mixed feelings Jan 27, 2010

KSL Berlin wrote:

However, what really makes the product shine for me is the high quality of support. Beats any other company with whom I have current experience.

Nice point!
I use 2 other tools. For one - Trados - I have to pay for support, and it's ok, althouh I'd like it to be faster - I suppose that would require aditional payment
For the other - WF - I get all the support I need from forums: the tool is very stable, and the company monitors the foruns

KSL Berlin wrote:
For the "simple" freelancer? Well, I got my partner working productively with the tool in about 10 minutes.

I'm assuming you didn't leave your partner alone in front of the tool and waited for her to "just learn it". Anyway, that good, comparable to what I can do with translators who've never used WF.

KSL Berlin wrote:
For an outsourcer? This could be a long list. Nice interoperability with other tools. Simple project management. It's a no-brainer to organize projects on the old server. Haven't looked at the new one yet.

TMs compatibility are still somewhat of a "myth" - one manufacturer adds this and that code to help his tool handle things better, another one can't even make his TM formatS compatible with between versions "out of the box"...
Ok, I take it as a good thing if the tool can export its TMs into clean TMX, and judging from your words I assume MemoQ can do that.

I just remembered what I find is a nasty detail in workgroup collaboration using MemoQ: according to Kilgray's website, a user can only log into MemoQ server if he's using either the Pro version, or a mobile LSP5 licence.

Why won't the Free and the Standard versions be enough for that? After all, someone who buys a Server licence may need to outsource work to someone who normally does not use MemoQ - which might make the purchase of the Pro version (690 Eur) impractical - in which case this scheme/requirement ends up making the life of the company who bought the Server license unnecessarily dificult.

And since I'm at it, I still can't find a logical reason - other than commercial - why the Standard version can't have ALL the features of the Pro version - including match in context, for instance, among others. After all, if the Standard version is already limited to a 1 year use (By the way, for how long is the Pro version valid)?

Well, thanks a lot for your comments!

Best, (and don't use too much Unicum),
Jose

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Probably best to ask Kilgray Jan 27, 2010

Jose Ruivo wrote:
KSL Berlin wrote:
For the "simple" freelancer? Well, I got my partner working productively with the tool in about 10 minutes.

I'm assuming you didn't leave your partner alone in front of the tool and waited for her to "just learn it".

Actually, I pretty much did exactly that after I loaded the DVX keyboard setting file exported from my own installation. I think I've give her about 15 minutes worth of "advanced tips" in three weeks, and most of that time was waiting for her to fetch her tea cup.

TMs compatibility are still somewhat of a "myth" - one manufacturer adds this and that code to help his tool handle things better, another one can't even make his TM formatS compatible with between versions "out of the box"...
Ok, I take it as a good thing if the tool can export its TMs into clean TMX, and judging from your words I assume MemoQ can do that.

Yes it can, but there is a lot more to interoperability than that. A lot of what is said to be "compatible" simply isn't in most tools and the same is true of MQ if proper workflows are not followed.

according to Kilgray's website, a user can only log into MemoQ server if he's using either the Pro version, or a mobile LSP5 licence.

No idea. Ask the source.

By the way, for how long is the Pro version valid)?

When is Jesus planning to show up? Or the sun go dark? No expiration. There's talk of annual maintenance fees, but I don't know what those final plans are. I think it's fair to guess that it won't be as onerous as with others and that it will deliver real value for money. Others who promise free upgrades forever produce even minor upgrades on a schedule slower than Shaker women space their children.

... don't use too much Unicum)

Is there such a thing?

[Edited at 2010-01-27 23:07 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Support... learning curve... Jan 27, 2010

Jose Ruivo wrote:

KSL Berlin wrote:

However, what really makes the product shine for me is the high quality of support. Beats any other company with whom I have current experience.

Nice point!
I use 2 other tools. For one - Trados - I have to pay for support, and it's ok, althouh I'd like it to be faster - I suppose that would require aditional payment

You're right
The level 2 is faster.
But I dropped the PSMA, it makes no sense for me.
I have only 2, maybe 3 hard cases by year.
And I had very mixed feelings, generally I feel I'm better than the SDL support employees, except Fasil Aziz (you monitor this forum, SDL guys?).

For the other - WF - I get all the support I need from forums: the tool is very stable, and the company monitors the foruns

The Kilgray guys do the same.

BTW.
I don't like Wordfast.
It's very personal, I simply think in a different manner but I appreciate it.
E.g. the basic terminology management assumptions are unique (e.g. you can select the termbase for the term youre sending).
I would have a feature lile this in MQ.
I have more examples like that.

KSL Berlin wrote:

I'm assuming you didn't leave your partner alone in front of the tool and waited for her to "just learn it". Anyway, that good, comparable to what I can do with translators who've never used WF.

MemoQ has a damn good learning curve.
You need only 5-6 basic shortcuts, the students understand the main ideas in 15 minutes.
Of course, they're guided and they're not yet truely independent but they're able to translate smoothly and concentrate on the text, not on the software.

PS.
No blind advocacy.
If you want, I can list you some MQ assumptions I hate

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-01-27 23:09 GMT]

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
After a while, no Jan 27, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

It's good to know that, specially since I think that the "no suppport" policy for the Standard version is rather strange, and the option of paying support by the hour seems rather vague. (WF does provide direct support for its users; it's just that I normally don't need to resort to that, although I have.)

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
E.g. the basic terminology management assumptions are unique (e.g. you can select the termbase for the term youre sending).

One termbase per project/client is enough to me.

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Yes I'd like that - in order to know how well I could live with them or find a workaround for them.

Best,
Jose

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Workgroup... prices... Jan 27, 2010

Jose Ruivo wrote:

I just remembered what I find is a nasty detail in workgroup collaboration using MemoQ: according to Kilgray's website, a user can only log into MemoQ server if he's using either the Pro version, or a mobile LSP5 licence.

Why won't the Free and the Standard versions be enough for that? After all, someone who buys a Server licence may need to outsource work to someone who normally does not use MemoQ - which might make the purchase of the Pro version (690 Eur) impractical - in which case this scheme/requirement ends up making the life of the company who bought the Server license unnecessarily dificult.[/quote]
It's a commercial decision.
Of course, you can fix a higher server price and free clients (e.g. see Across policy) but you must sell more servers to survive...

BTW.
You can easily get MQ Pro for less but you should track group buys.
Then every year you upgrade for a price comparable to Std and in 3-4 years the difference (almost) disappears.

And since I'm at it, I still can't find a logical reason - other than commercial - why the Standard version can't have ALL the features of the Pro version - including match in context, for instance, among others.

IMO, you're right... price, price...
BTW.
It's exactly the annual Wordfast price AFAIK...
Of course, we may discuss some differencies (e.g. file formats) but I think generally it's a draw now.

After all, if the Standard version is already limited to a 1 year use (By the way, for how long is the Pro version valid)?

Perpetual.
Free major upgrades for one year.

Best, (and don't use too much Unicum),

Well, birk/barack/czeresnye/szilva/fekete ribizli/whatever pálinka is better

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
DVX vs MQ Jan 28, 2010

Jose Ruivo wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

It's good to know that, specially since I think that the "no suppport" policy for the Standard version is rather strange, and the option of paying support by the hour seems rather vague. (WF does provide direct support for its users; it's just that I normally don't need to resort to that, although I have.)

Huh.
I didn't check the Std clauses, I have Pro.

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

One termbase per project/client is enough to me.

I'm basically a DVX user.
DVX may set priorities to translation memories and termbases.
It's clever, in this way you can tune in the machine translation.
Unfortunately, the DVX add term form is not enough intelligent as it could be.

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Yes I'd like that - in order to know how well I could live with them or find a workaround for them.

The first one, no multiple instances.
Normally, in DVX, I open several projects at a time, MQ is strictly one task tool now (in MQ4, some tasks will run in the background).
The second one, very small teams.
I often work on the same project with my wife.
In DVX, I can open the same project (including the same file) my wife translates and work on it (yes, it's an unique DVX feature AFAIK).
Without server, MQ is strictly a one user tool.
Third, the data base lock principles in MQ are too restrictive.
E.g. I can't add terms from the text I translate when the termbase edition window is open.... aaarrgh...

I know some of these issues (the third one, sure) will be corrected in some next version but DVX still have some advantage here.
Although in a single user scenario MQ seems better now, MQ4 beta fills some crucial gaps and DVX lacks a lot of fancy MQ functions like preview etc.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-01-28 01:18 GMT]

Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu
Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:18
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Help Jan 28, 2010

I’m a new MemoQ user. I downloaded the free version 2 days ago and I’m testing it. I must say it's very user friendly, but I think I missed something. Maybe you can help me (please). I created 2 translation memories (imported them from tmx) but every time I try to create a project, when I have to define the TM I can't do it because no memory appears in the "available TM/filtered" window so that I can add it for the project.
I tried the "register local" button but with no result, I see
... See more
I’m a new MemoQ user. I downloaded the free version 2 days ago and I’m testing it. I must say it's very user friendly, but I think I missed something. Maybe you can help me (please). I created 2 translation memories (imported them from tmx) but every time I try to create a project, when I have to define the TM I can't do it because no memory appears in the "available TM/filtered" window so that I can add it for the project.
I tried the "register local" button but with no result, I see the TM, I select it but it doesn't appear in the window from where I can define it for the project.
The format of these TMs is mtm. Did I miss something?
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Language mismatch? Jan 28, 2010

Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu wrote:
I created 2 translation memories (imported them from tmx) but every time I try to create a project, when I have to define the TM I can't do it because no memory appears in the "available TM/filtered" window so that I can add it for the project.

Gabriela, to me this looks like the languages chosen for your memory are other than the languages in your project. The source and target language you select in the memory must match those for the project, or you will not see the memory available when you try to use it. Check that and let us know!

Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu
Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:18
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
No Jan 28, 2010

The language pair is the same...It won't use the TM I've created and I have to create a new one for every project. Are there limits for the TUs in the free version and that might be the reason for which MQ doesn't accept the TMs imported from TMX?

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Matching languages? Jan 28, 2010

Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu wrote:

I tried the "register local" button but with no result, I see the TM, I select it but it doesn't appear in the window from where I can define it for the project.
The format of these TMs is mtm. Did I miss something?

Are you sure the language pair and the direction are exactly the same?
MQ filters out the data bases with different languages.
So, e.g. a RO-FR TM can't be used for FR-RO.

Cheers
GG

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What makes MemoQ better than others?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »