Thread poster: Jose Ruivo
Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:43
French to Polish
+ ...
MemoQ for free Jan 28, 2010

Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu wrote:

The language pair is the same...It won't use the TM I've created and I have to create a new one for every project. Are there limits for the TUs in the free version and that might be the reason for which MQ doesn't accept the TMs imported from TMX?

Yes, it is.
When the 45 days trial period expires, a separate TM must be created for every project.

Cheers
GG

Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu
Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:43
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
? Jan 28, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

The language pair is the same...It won't use the TM I've created and I have to create a new one for every project. Are there limits for the TUs in the free version and that might be the reason for which MQ doesn't accept the TMs imported from TMX?

Yes, it is.
When the 45 days trial period expires, a separate TM must be created for every project.

Cheers
GG

Strange, I downloaded it 2 days ago
And yes, the source and target were the same

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A stupid question Jan 28, 2010

Strange, I downloaded it 2 days ago
And yes, the source and target were the same

The stupid question is: did you activate the product?

Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu
Gabriela Daniela Ardeleanu  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
:) Jan 28, 2010

I have a serial number, it's specified in the "MemoQ activation" window, under my name. Should I do anything else? I have an option at the bottom of this window (Enter activation data received in e-mail). I don't remember having provided my e-mail address. Should I?

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Verify your license... Jan 28, 2010

I have a serial number, it's specified in the "MemoQ activation" window, under my name. Should I do anything else?

Take a look on Help, Activation.
The active version and the licenses should be displayed.

If you have MQ for free, the software behaves correctly.
If you have a different version e.g. Translator Pro, it seems a bug.

Try to update your licenses online.

I have an option at the bottom of this window (Enter activation data received in e-mail). I don't remember having provided my e-mail address. Should I?

I suppose you did this during the activation
If your address was invalid, something could go wrong... just guessing...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-01-28 10:54 GMT]

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No printing?? Jan 28, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
If you want, I can list you some MQ assumptions I hate

Yes I'd like that - in order to know how well I could live with them or find a workaround for them.

The first one, no multiple instances.
Normally, in DVX, I open several projects at a time, MQ is strictly one task tool now (in MQ4, some tasks will run in the background).
The second one, very small teams.
I often work on the same project with my wife.
In DVX, I can open the same project (including the same file) my wife translates and work on it (yes, it's an unique DVX feature AFAIK).
Without server, MQ is strictly a one user tool.
Third, the data base lock principles in MQ are too restrictive.
E.g. I can't add terms from the text I translate when the termbase edition window is open.... aaarrgh...

I know some of these issues (the third one, sure) will be corrected in some next version but DVX still have some advantage here.
Although in a single user scenario MQ seems better now, MQ4 beta fills some crucial gaps and DVX lacks a lot of fancy MQ functions like preview etc.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-01-28 01:18 GMT] [/quote]

Well, I can't of situations when I'd miss the 1st feature, and find the 2nd outstanding - had never thought that would be possible. Anyway, I can live with it - I'll check DVX latter on.

For now I've started fidling with MemoQ Free, find it absolutely intuitive, miss the spelling while typing (but can live with it) but I don't want to belive that you can't print your job for "off-screen" reading/proofing - as in Idiom.

How can I print my bilingual file, please? Everything else seems so intuitive, I'm surprised I can't find how to do this..

Cheers,
Jose

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
server access / standard Jan 28, 2010

Hi All,

Just wanted to clarify the policy here:

- for server access you either need translator pro or you can have the 4free or standard, but in that case the server admin shall give you a mobile license. So people who don't pay a penny can also use it in need.

- translator standard is budget and Kilgray itself is not It's kind of a disruptive tool that people can start using straight away. I
... See more
Hi All,

Just wanted to clarify the policy here:

- for server access you either need translator pro or you can have the 4free or standard, but in that case the server admin shall give you a mobile license. So people who don't pay a penny can also use it in need.

- translator standard is budget and Kilgray itself is not It's kind of a disruptive tool that people can start using straight away. I think compared to the price it has a lot of functionality, it's meant for the lonely translator. No support of course - that would be a compromise. We make sure that things are resolved, and that involves good support personnel, their access to development, etc. Good people are expensive, and somebody has to pay for this. translator pro users do, standard users don't. But in reality the 'main' tool remains translator pro, with all the features. Keeping up a great tool with good support isn't cheap, and I think our responsibility towards customers is to provide good tools and value for money, not to make our licenses the cheapest among all. After all, return on investment is about productivity, not just about price.

My two cOMMents. And sorry for seeming hoity-toity here

István
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Multiple instances... printing... wishlist... Jan 29, 2010

Jose Ruivo wrote:

[concurrent access to files and projects in DVX...]

and find the 2nd outstanding - had never thought that would be possible. Anyway, I can live with it - I'll check DVX latter on.

For me, it's crucial.
It's extremely flexible.
E.g. I can work interactively in one instance and pretranslate the same file in the second one.
In most tools, if I want pretlanslate, I must make a break.

For now I've started fidling with MemoQ Free, find it absolutely intuitive, miss the spelling while typing (but can live with it)

The same.

but I don't want to belive that you can't print your job for "off-screen" reading/proofing - as in Idiom.

It's not a solution, it's rather a workaround.
You can export the file as biligual (e.g. Trados doc) and print it from another tool.
Not very elegant but possible.

How can I print my bilingual file, please? Everything else seems so intuitive, I'm surprised I can't find how to do this..

Well, I rarely print jobs for proofing but you're right, it's a useful feature.

You can suggest it as idea
The Kilgray guys are very responsive, some of my suggestions are already implemented or waiting in the wishlist.

Cheers
GG

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Value for money Jan 29, 2010

István Lengyel wrote:

A mobile license cost more than a penny. The translator may not pay for that, but the client will have to have paid for that. I assume the client pays for 5 mobile licenses. Imagine her needs 6 translators using the Server...
On the other hand, in such circumstances, a translator who owns a Pro version may get a job, while another one with the Standard version may not - and the one who does, did have to pay more than a penny for that privilege!

István Lengyel wrote:
- translator standard is budget and Kilgray itself is not

A company is everything such company does. I stand by every translation that I do, and I expect a company to do the same with all its products. One may call it budget, cripled, or anything else you like (or not).

István Lengyel wrote:
It's kind of a disruptive tool that people can start using straight away. I think compared to the price it has a lot of functionality, it's meant for the lonely translator. No support of course - that would be a compromise. We make sure that things are resolved, and that involves good support personnel, their access to development, etc. Good people are expensive, and somebody has to pay for this. translator pro users do, standard users don't. But in reality the 'main' tool remains translator pro, with all the features. Keeping up a great tool with good support isn't cheap, and I think our responsibility towards customers is to provide good tools and value for money, not to make our licenses the cheapest among all. After all, return on investment is about productivity, not just about price.

Standard version has many good points going for it - although I stiil can't understand why it lacks printing capabilities - and some others I don't find so good. To be honest, I can't remember of a CAT toll that I think is perfect - including price wyse.

I'm not searching for the cheapest tools, only the ones with best value for money. And from that point of view, in my opinion, Standard doesn't fair so well. I hope you're not too afected with criticism.

Oh, and when I said you couldn't connect to the Server version using the Standard version, I was merely reflecting what's witten on Kilgray's site: "any number of translators can connect with a memoQ translator pro license, or a mobile memoQ LSP5 client license." (http://en.kilgray.com/?q=node/products/memoqserver/add-ins)

I may have got it wrong, but the person who wrote it did not get it right, either!

Good luck - better tools are always welcome in the industry, and competion even more!

Jose

PS - I do work with Idiom, which also does not have printing capabilities, but I'd never choose to work with a tool that doesn't let me proofread my work on paper, having the alternative.

[Edited at 2010-01-29 17:05 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
One done and one possible Jan 29, 2010

Jose Ruivo wrote:

For now I've started fidling with MemoQ Free, find it absolutely intuitive, miss the spelling while typing (but can live with it) but I don't want to belive that you can't print your job for "off-screen" reading/proofing - as in Idiom.

MQ4 (still in beta) has instant spelling checker, it's working fine (at least for Polish). As for the printing, there is no internal solution, but I might have an idea... let me check this.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Spellchecker Jan 29, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:

MQ4 (still in beta) has instant spelling checker, it's working fine (at least for Polish). As for the printing, there is no internal solution, but I might have an idea... let me check this.

MemoQ uses Hunspell and MS Word for spelling.
Unfortunately Hunspell is not available for all languages. And MS Word speller works only if you press F7. It does not display misspelt words while translating.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Bad choice of words maybe, right idea Jan 29, 2010

I think the choice of the term "Standard" (following Atril's designation?) wasn't a great idea. Better to call it "Limited" maybe.

In any case, I think of that version as one for translators who really aren't that serious about the tools they work with. A few hundred euros for a fully functional tool with great features and great support isn't much; it pays for itself every week. The group buys for the Pro version here are quite cheap - a lot less than I paid for my license. But the
... See more
I think the choice of the term "Standard" (following Atril's designation?) wasn't a great idea. Better to call it "Limited" maybe.

In any case, I think of that version as one for translators who really aren't that serious about the tools they work with. A few hundred euros for a fully functional tool with great features and great support isn't much; it pays for itself every week. The group buys for the Pro version here are quite cheap - a lot less than I paid for my license. But the difference of a few hundred euros is a joke when I think of the opportunity costs I would have incurred if I had put off my purchase several months longer.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What makes MemoQ better than others?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »