Thread poster: Transitwrite
Transitwrite
Transitwrite  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:07
French to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2009

I have a very simple question but I am not sure if this is the right forum. As a MemoQ user, I would like to know if I can include Trados in my list of CAT tools in my profile, even though I do not own/use it?
When agencies request Trados as a condition for a job, can I bid?
Thanks

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
It depends... Oct 20, 2009

Sharon Benmussa wrote:

I have a very simple question but I am not sure if this is the right forum. As a MemoQ user, I would like to know if I can include Trados in my list of CAT tools in my profile, even though I do not own/use it?

IMHO if you don't have Trados licence (or, at least a trial version you use as a pre- or postprocessing tool), you should not include it in your list of CAT tools.
If you don't use it for translation (as I do), but you're able to deliver 100% Trados files, no problem

When agencies request Trados as a condition for a job, can I bid?

It depends.
For some file formats it's safer to have Trados.
E.g. without Trados, you can't create/presegment TTX files for MQ.

PS.
Yes, I know some tools like Swordfish are able to segment TTX files.
Kilgray guys, are you listening, huh?

Cheers
GG

Tomasz Sienicki
Tomasz Sienicki  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2007)
Danish to Polish
+ ...
TTX in MQ Oct 20, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

without Trados, you can't create/presegment TTX files for MQ.

You can segment TTX files with MemoQ: try "Add document as... » Import unsegmented content".

T.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Importing unsegmented content issues Oct 20, 2009

Tomasz Sienicki wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

without Trados, you can't create/presegment TTX files for MQ.

You can segment TTX files with MemoQ: try "Add document as... » Import unsegmented content".

In theory, you're right but the export is (or at least may be) incorrect.
E.g. line breaks are inserted in the TTX file before and after the source/target text, so the output doesn't match exactly the Trados format and the files exported from MemoQ are displayed incorrectly in TagEditor.
It doesn't occur when the default MQ import is used.
BTW.
The export from TTX segmented in MQ works correctly in Trados, the Tag Editor incrrect display is rather a Trados bug

The second "problem", the numerals are imported and segments are created for 'em.
In Trados, you simply can't do it.
In fact, it's a damn big MemoQ advantage but the customer will see immediately the text was not translated in Trados.
IMHO a function preventing the numerals import could be implemented for compatibility reasons but I don't think it's critical

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-10-20 12:33 GMT]

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
TTX files can be presegmented using demo versions of Trados Oct 20, 2009

Dear All,

Grzegorz is right, the recommended way to deal with TTX documents if to presegment them in Trados. On the other hand, you do not need to own a Trados license: a demo version will do. I beleive you can even download an installer for that from SDL, although they are not very public about that anymore. You might be able to get hold of an installer from other sources, I'm not sure how that works at SDL.

Instructions for presegmetation are in Kilgray's Resource Center, FAQ section.

Improving TTX segmentation is on our list of things to do, but I'm not sure when we get to it.

Best reagrds,

Gergely Vandor
Kilgray

[Edited at 2009-10-20 13:15 GMT]
Collapse

Transitwrite
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
May I put my question back up on top? Oct 21, 2009

Thanks!

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Not really... Oct 21, 2009

The field is described as "The software you use", so it might be misleading to your client if you specify Trados there.

In fact, pretending to own (and, more importantly, to use) the software might lead to some embarassing situations if the client asks you to do something other than just translation (e.g. presegment, convert or even analyse the files).

Transitwrite
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not exactly Oct 21, 2009

In the profile updater it says (in the English version anyway):

"Please check all the software/CAT tools that you can support at this time."

This is the reason for my question. Thanks.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
I see... Oct 21, 2009

I was quoting the tooltip you see when you enter the profile manually...

I see now that it is not entirely clear. Especially that the visitors to your profile just see "Software", no clue is given then...

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
I do it that way Oct 27, 2009

Unless Grzegorz, I do not really see a problem with including Trados as "supported format" on my profile, as long as you know what you are doing.

Just as you, I do not own a Trados licence (or actually I do, but it is a Trados 2 licence, originating from 1998 and my laptop does not even have a port for the serial dongle anymore), but I use a demo version of SDL Trados 2007 (I think), which I use for pre- and postprocessing purposes. My main CAT tool is not MemoQ but still DVX, but t
... See more
Unless Grzegorz, I do not really see a problem with including Trados as "supported format" on my profile, as long as you know what you are doing.

Just as you, I do not own a Trados licence (or actually I do, but it is a Trados 2 licence, originating from 1998 and my laptop does not even have a port for the serial dongle anymore), but I use a demo version of SDL Trados 2007 (I think), which I use for pre- and postprocessing purposes. My main CAT tool is not MemoQ but still DVX, but the steps for processing Trados are similar if not identical. In 98% of all cases, this works flawlessly, my clients get both old style Trados formats (TTX and biligual RTF) that were previously presegmented in the Trados demo, so I can actually claim that it is genuine Trados.

However, you might run into some minor issues (DVX for example treats footnotes in bilingual RTFs in a rather strange way, so I have to straighten that out after exporting, I assume MemoQ does not even have that problem but maybe others) and the CAT hopping approach has its limits of course (e.g. I have not yet found a way to process projects prepared by SDL Trados Synergy). For these cases, I have friends at hand who own a Trados version and are willing to perform certain steps for me. Also, I have kept myself up to date about how Trados works (on of my friends lets me use his licence via remote access from time to time), so I kind of know what a Trados-minded person in an agency has in mind.

So maybe I do not own a Trados licence but I think I have enough knowledge of the product and I am quite capable of supporting it. And that is why I list it on my profile.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ/ Trados in our Proz profile

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »