Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
MemoQ - Why should it count less words than Trados?
Thread poster: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
Local time: 11:00
English to Hungarian
bug? :) Oct 3, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I agree, the Trados approach is obsolete but still you have a bug in the "Trados like" wordcount

Not getting exactly what you expect is not neccessarily a bug. Long ago, we put some effort into mimicking Trados counts to some extent. We are going to give it a thought whether or not it is worth the investment to improve upon it. A better Trados like wordcount conflicts with very fundamental design decisions in memoQ (what it actually considers a word), so it might easily not be worthwhile.

All in all, who really needs this and why? The basic purpose of a "CAT wordcount" should be to give you an idea of the effort needed to translate something. Its purpose should not be to tell you how much you should quote. We know that the whole concept is quite imperfect for many reasons, and relying on it completely is a bad idea. We know that the tool itself is also a significant factor in how big the effort will be. (BTW, I beleive most people actually using MemoQ agree that it is more efficient that the old Trados.)

There can be two real reasons IMO:
(1) Some people are used to the Trados behaviour. This cures itself very quickly.

(2) Some people have quite limited knowledge of the whole concept, and start with the assumption that the Trados count must be the "correct" one. That is more difficult to cure.

I'm starting to think that what Kilgray really needs is not a better Trados like count but a good article on the topic. What we also know we need are features that help users measure translation effort more accurately. I consider the Trados like count a "pseudo feature": it tries to provide something that people think they need. On the ther hand, homogeneity,for example, is a real step in the direction of better assessment of translation effort. It will decrease your wordcounts when there are sentences in your material that are similar to each other (but are not neccessarily similar to segments already in the TM).

Of course, anything we do with statistics will always result in some negative feedback. Agencies will oppose anything that can increase wordcounts, and translators will oppose anything that can decrease them. Again, the only way out is to communicate these features well, and to make statistics sufficiently flexible.

Gergely

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Be smarter :) Oct 3, 2009

Gergely Vandor wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I agree, the Trados approach is obsolete but still you have a bug in the "Trados like" wordcount

Not getting exactly what you expect is not neccessarily a bug.

Huh... when your "trados like" stats are exactly the same as the MemoQ stats, it seems a bug
See the apostrophe case.

Long ago, we put some effort into mimicking Trados counts to some extent. We are going to give it a thought whether or not it is worth the investment to improve upon it. A better Trados like wordcount conflicts with very fundamental design decisions in memoQ (what it actually considers a word), so it might easily not be worthwhile.

So, simply drop it.
You'll have peace of mind

BTW.
I have a long time challenge against so called Tab delimited export in Multiterm, LOL, take a look
The fact the Multiterm guys put some tabs there is not the prove it's a well formed tab delimited file
You should be smarter than SDL

Of course, anything we do with statistics will always result in some negative feedback. Agencies will oppose anything that can increase wordcounts, and translators will oppose anything that can decrease them. Again, the only way out is to communicate these features well,

See your damn help

and to make statistics sufficiently flexible.

Agree.
A configurable stats feature should be great

Cheers
GG

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
the feature actually works :) Oct 3, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Huh... when your "trados like" stats are exactly the same as the MemoQ stats, it seems a bug
See the apostrophe case.

If you imply that the "Trados-like" radio button has no effect (the feature would not work at all), that is not true. For example, number only segments are counted as zero words if that option is selected.

We try to use our resources to build and refine the features we actually find important. In a project of this size, you can spend an unlimited amount of time with close to zero return to your investment if you don't prioritize. We'll see where this ends up in the priority list.

Gergely

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Hyphen case Oct 4, 2009

Gergely Vandor wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

See the apostrophe case.

If you imply that the "Trados-like" radio button has no effect (the feature would not work at all), that is not true. For example, number only segments are counted as zero words if that option is selected.

Right, but you are still missing at least:
- apostrophe
- hyphen
- slash
- parenthesis
- curly brackets
- square brackets

If I insist something is wrong, it's mainly because your help suggests at least the hyphens are taken in account which is not true in the 3.6.5. version.

IMHO the text I quote below pressuposes the words with hyphens are counted as two words in your Trados-like wordcount because you know the way Trados works here.

TRADOS-like: Check this checkbox to display Trados-like word counts. SDL Trados® is another CAT tool on the market that handles word counts differently.
Note: In Trados®, numbers are only counted as words when they are within a segment, hyphenated words are counted as two words, and a number of other rules apply. In Trados®, segmentation is a factor in word count, i.e. you can get a different word count if the same text appears in one or two lines. Trados® segmentation rules are not public, therefore there is usually a small discrepancy between the word counts of Trados® and Trados-mode MemoQ.

We try to use our resources to build and refine the features we actually find important. In a project of this size, you can spend an unlimited amount of time with close to zero return to your investment if you don't prioritize. We'll see where this ends up in the priority list.

Of course.
The easiest way is to resolve it is to slightly modify your help

Cheers
GG

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
you are right... Oct 4, 2009

I'll make sure the help doesn't mislead the users there, and we'll discuss the issue of word separators in the Trados-like counting. Thanks.

Gergely

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ - Why should it count less words than Trados?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »