How about Yandex?
Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 09:15
Mar 7, 2017

After the recent discussion about the quality of Google Translate's neural approach, I was wondering how your experiences are with Yandex.

Since CafeTran supports Yandex, I have three MTs presenting suggestions for every segments. And I must say: I'm really impressed.

Is this because of my language pair (German > Dutch) or do you have similar experiences?

My findings:

• Yandex recognises words that are glued together because of missing s... See more
After the recent discussion about the quality of Google Translate's neural approach, I was wondering how your experiences are with Yandex.

Since CafeTran supports Yandex, I have three MTs presenting suggestions for every segments. And I must say: I'm really impressed.

Is this because of my language pair (German > Dutch) or do you have similar experiences?

My findings:

• Yandex recognises words that are glued together because of missing spaces/tags.
  • Yandex presents cleaner (more solid/professional) translations, especially of technical instructions and processes/units (SI system etc.).
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:15
Russian to English
+ ...
It's good Mar 10, 2017

I find Yandex to be quite good, especially in my RU>EN language pair, less good for DE>EN. For both pairs, it is much better than Microsoft Translator. Sometimes Google Translate is better for DE>EN. Of course, I would never think of using MT for anything but as a reference in translation by the human translator (me). Never as a "finished product."

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Comparation of web MTs Mar 10, 2017

CafeTran Training wrote:

Comparation of web MTs (short test with SK and CS languages).

Slovak original text was translated by Google Translate into Czech and English, by Yandex into Russian.

Překlad Googlem Translate ze slovenštiny

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2017-01/10/cs/04.html

Slovak original text was translated by Yandex into Czech.

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2017-01/10/cs/05.html

Yandex translated a whole text in one run, as GT did), but Google Translate was faster.

Microsoft Bing can process only 1/4 of text:

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2017-01/10/cs/02.html

Milan
http://www.condak.cz/nove/

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Of course ... it's just an advanced term search engine Mar 10, 2017

Susan Welsh wrote:

I would never think of using MT for anything but as a reference in translation by the human translator (me). Never as a "finished product."

When I started using Google Translate, Microsoft Translator (and since a couple of weeks, Yandex) I was afraid of messing up my style.

I'm amazed how easily I got used to have the three engines running in a pane and just look at them in case of any doubt/question to see which terms they come up with.

I use them as an "advanced term search feature". Nothing more, nothing less.

My glossaries have the highest priority (BTW: I also include phrases/fragments).

If these resources don't suggest anything, a match from a TM can be relevant.

And if the TM doesn't suggest anything relevant, I look at the three MTs.

This having said, I'm also impressed by how well they translate marketing blabla.

This sound a little arrogant–and I apologise for that: I must admit that these resources sometimes come up with real gems.

A lot of blur, and occasional gems.

Sam Abramov

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about Yandex?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »