Course: The Truth About the Translation Market
Thread poster: Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:55
French to English
Feb 11, 2019

I'm SO excited about this BRAND NEW free course!

I'll be revealing:

Secret 1: Why the bulk versus premium market view is inaccurate
Secret 2: How to stop competing on rate
Secret 3: Why old techniques are failing in the new market

All in just 40 minutes!

At the end of this course, you’ll have a true understanding of today’s market and be able to navigate it successfully.
... See more
I'm SO excited about this BRAND NEW free course!

I'll be revealing:

Secret 1: Why the bulk versus premium market view is inaccurate
Secret 2: How to stop competing on rate
Secret 3: Why old techniques are failing in the new market

All in just 40 minutes!

At the end of this course, you’ll have a true understanding of today’s market and be able to navigate it successfully.

Ready?
https://class.successbyrx.com/truth
This class is free but you MUST REGISTER! ⇑⇑⇑⇑⇑
Collapse

Carole Wolfe
Carole Wolfe  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:55
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
How do translation customers view the product. Feb 12, 2019

Hello, Jenae!

I enjoyed your presentation and appreciate that you're helping translators find the paths that are right for each of them.

I liked the way you divided the restaurant market between those on the cheap side (McDonalds) and more expensive ones (Ruth's Chris). I think most customers know the difference between the two and don't expect a Ruth's Chris meal to be a low quality cut served in five minutes.

But I don't think that persons who want a
... See more
Hello, Jenae!

I enjoyed your presentation and appreciate that you're helping translators find the paths that are right for each of them.

I liked the way you divided the restaurant market between those on the cheap side (McDonalds) and more expensive ones (Ruth's Chris). I think most customers know the difference between the two and don't expect a Ruth's Chris meal to be a low quality cut served in five minutes.

But I don't think that persons who want a translation done are aware of those two contrasting levels of quality when they are seeking a provider. Would any customer say, "I want a fast, cheap, mediocre translation." If that's what they really want, then they will probably run their text through Google Translate and be done with it. But, if they hire an agency or a freelancer, I think they want top quality at the lowest price possible. Most of them will be disappointed when the cheap product that's delivered isn't very good, of course.

Maybe the best route for the customer is to ask for a sample from the translators that bid and then decide. That's why I don't get into a huff when someone asks me to do a sample translation. Most people like to sample before buying, and it doesn't matter how well reviewed the product is. Go to a perfume counter and you can spray on Chanel or walk the aisles of Costco or peruse the thousands of online merchants who give you free samples to prove the worth of their products.

Should I as a translator offer both a rough but accurate translation and then another one that's polished like your dad's haircut, each at is own price point?
Collapse

Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:55
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Agree...but Feb 12, 2019

Hi Carole

I'm glad you enjoyed the presentation. I do agree with you that most translation customers might not be "smart shoppers" in this way. But I think this is largely because they just have no idea that there's a difference in the first place (hello = bonjour, right?). With that said, in a world where everyone checks Yelp or Travel Adviser, etc., it's not completely uncommon for clients to do at least a quick Google search of your name or company name.

Part of why
... See more
Hi Carole

I'm glad you enjoyed the presentation. I do agree with you that most translation customers might not be "smart shoppers" in this way. But I think this is largely because they just have no idea that there's a difference in the first place (hello = bonjour, right?). With that said, in a world where everyone checks Yelp or Travel Adviser, etc., it's not completely uncommon for clients to do at least a quick Google search of your name or company name.

Part of why I harp on branding so much when I talk to freelancers is because I think it is far too undervalued. Even as an outsourcer, if I Google a translator and I find only an upwork and a proz profile and no website, no guest posts, no LinkedIn, etc., I am frankly going to assume that person's services don't cost much and that possibly it's not their primary career or focus and I don't think I am alone.

Once someone is talking to me, it's pretty rare that I have to explain that I am quite a bit more expensive than the $.03/word price they got when they Googled "how much does translation cost" just because of my branding and marketing.

I'm with you on the samples as well. I am not shy asking other professionals for samples and I am happy to provide my own.

Now that I just gave my long-winded opinion, let me at least answer your question.

I do offer customers a translation only price and I explain what this is for. I can only go so low here because things still need to be accurate (it's only just a tiny bit less than the full deal, which is kind of the point -- I WANT them to go with the full deal but if they really want to save some money, they can). I also give my customer a detailed explanation of when this should be used and when it shouldn't be. I am also more than happy to suggest Google translate where appropriate. For example, if they've got 100 pages of information and they only need to publish about 20% of that in another language, but they're not sure which 20%, Google is the way to go...then come to me when you know which 20% you need professionally translated.

I find that this does a few things but primarily it shows them that I am really trying to sell them what they need and not too much or too little (both can be really damaging to the relationship). This builds trust and often even when they're quoted less by other translators or agencies, they'll go with me because they trust me.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Course: The Truth About the Translation Market

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »