Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 16:29
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
42 is not old at all Apr 16, 2015

In many countries of Europe, and also in the US, China, Japan, and many other parts of the world, the average age of a citizen is close to 40. We are overwhelmingly an ageing society, except in rare places like India and Africa.

Also, people are living longer and continue to retain their full physical and mental faculties late into their life, even up to their 70s and even 80s.

So 42 in current situations is a fighting fit age to do anything, including interpretation.... See more
In many countries of Europe, and also in the US, China, Japan, and many other parts of the world, the average age of a citizen is close to 40. We are overwhelmingly an ageing society, except in rare places like India and Africa.

Also, people are living longer and continue to retain their full physical and mental faculties late into their life, even up to their 70s and even 80s.

So 42 in current situations is a fighting fit age to do anything, including interpretation.

As for English-French, I would have thought Canada (Quebec) would be more promising to begin in than Europe, which is saturated with English-French translators. It is also nearer to Argentina than Europe, if my geography is reliable.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
infinity between YES and NO Apr 16, 2015

Everything counts, especially for rather demanding activities.

I started as a translator, yet a friend of mine flattered that I had really outstanding interpersonal skills (whatever it might be) and referred me to her foreign customer, who required both translation and on-site assistance (interpreting). The learning curve wasn't as steep as I expected, I got many interesting and useful contacts (including a personal driver for local transportation), my wages instantly became exorbit
... See more
Everything counts, especially for rather demanding activities.

I started as a translator, yet a friend of mine flattered that I had really outstanding interpersonal skills (whatever it might be) and referred me to her foreign customer, who required both translation and on-site assistance (interpreting). The learning curve wasn't as steep as I expected, I got many interesting and useful contacts (including a personal driver for local transportation), my wages instantly became exorbitantly high (as for a local), and as far as I didn't mind overtime and much traveling, every day was a pleasure for me to work--actually, meeting and talking to people I liked.

Just to compare: working as a translator I *occasionally* got some $0.045/word at best while as an interpreter I *regularly* got some $400+/week and $800+/h at the meeting (at least a couple of such conferences a month).

The only problem for me became... drinking. No, neither my colleagues, nor our partners were alcoholics, but almost every meeting (let alone weekends) ended up like that: the party was different, but I was the same.

Unfortunately, rather shortly I had to give up interpreting... to learn that even local interpreters suffer from similar issues: too much drinking, too much traveling, too much eating, and so on, yet at much lower rates. Profit)

Indeed, interpreting is rather exhausting, that's why most companies I've encountered try to invite model-looking young girls for the office chatting and prefer men as interpreters for a serious job. In most cases such a 'sexism' is not a whim, but a strong requirement. At the moment I wouldn't consider such an offer, but who knows.

I don't know for sure whether you would cope with it and how, anyway--good luck.
Collapse

mleach
mleach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:59
French to English
Consider the private market too! Apr 16, 2015

Hi Sylvie,

First of all I don't think 42 is too old to begin a career in interpreting!

What I think is more relevant (and I think the point has been made already) is having the stamina and nerves to cope with the training and your subsequent career in interpreting.

Stamina and nerves are tested and enhanced during a decent interpreting course, as you move from interpreting 2 minute speeches (and feel drained afterwards!) to interpreting for 20+ minutes wit
... See more
Hi Sylvie,

First of all I don't think 42 is too old to begin a career in interpreting!

What I think is more relevant (and I think the point has been made already) is having the stamina and nerves to cope with the training and your subsequent career in interpreting.

Stamina and nerves are tested and enhanced during a decent interpreting course, as you move from interpreting 2 minute speeches (and feel drained afterwards!) to interpreting for 20+ minutes without a break. Then when you move into the real world and interpret for clients a whole new layer of pressure is added as you start charging for your services, and delivering an excellent performance is essential to the meeting/conference you are working in.

So pick the right course, learn from other more experienced interpreters (and those recently qualified) and prepare for an amazing experience! If you haven't looked through this already, then the AIIC website and specifically its webzine has a wealth of articles from its members on the world of interpreting: http://aiic.net/webzine

And in terms of your language combinations, French A with English B is a sought after language combination in the private market. Typically an interpreter would work for a few years on the private market before entering the institutions. Although there is nothing to stop you taking the accreditation examinations once you've passed your MA in Interpreting. Just remember that there is a large private market for that language combination (I don't know about French A Spanish B but it may also be the case).

Good luck!
Collapse

IrinaN

Craig Brown
Craig Brown  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:59
French to English
How did you get on? Feb 21, 2019

I'm curious as to whether you are now 46 and a full-time interpreter?

Best of luck.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:59
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Come one Feb 22, 2019

Come on - Bernie Sanders is 77 and wants to be President of the United States.

If Bernie can run for President, you can be an interpreter. 42? You're just a kid !

[Edited at 2019-02-22 13:49 GMT]

Mr.Q
Jorge Payan
Kaspars Melkis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Am I too old to become an interpreter?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »