Numbers separator formatting in large batches (segments)
Thread poster: Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:02
English to French
+ ...
Feb 19, 2021

I’ve read that some have been struggling with automating number separators replacement. This is usually tackled well with quick insertion formatting choices. I know this has been an issue in Wordfast Pro and some others. I’m not familiar with the way it’s done and how well in all CATs, so, since it’s a familiar issue, why not share this in this thread?
I’ll give the tips I found to handle numbers in Pro and Wordfast Anywhere.
... See more
I’ve read that some have been struggling with automating number separators replacement. This is usually tackled well with quick insertion formatting choices. I know this has been an issue in Wordfast Pro and some others. I’m not familiar with the way it’s done and how well in all CATs, so, since it’s a familiar issue, why not share this in this thread?
I’ll give the tips I found to handle numbers in Pro and Wordfast Anywhere.

Original threads I can remember here: https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/323155-wordfast_number_format_decimals_and_commas_not_changing_from_european_to_english.html
https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/190274-wordfast_pro_not_transcribing_numbers-page2.html?print=1
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In Wordfast Anywhere (easiest and fastest) Feb 19, 2021

The best and fastest way at the moment is in Wordfast Anywhere. In Wordfast Anywhere/Setup/Pandora’s Box/Item 8 “Configure Auto-Suggest”. Click on “Date and Number Conversion”. There in the second part you can select which source separators should be replace by which target separators. Ideal for fine tuning. This then applies as you work, but not only.

_Pre-translate segments with numbers only. Once you have defined above what you want, you can pre-translate all segments a
... See more
The best and fastest way at the moment is in Wordfast Anywhere. In Wordfast Anywhere/Setup/Pandora’s Box/Item 8 “Configure Auto-Suggest”. Click on “Date and Number Conversion”. There in the second part you can select which source separators should be replace by which target separators. Ideal for fine tuning. This then applies as you work, but not only.

_Pre-translate segments with numbers only. Once you have defined above what you want, you can pre-translate all segments and apply numbers conversion automatically. Go to File/Pre-Translation, do not tick “leave target empty”, tick something else of your choice and tick “Apply date and number conversion…” If you have selected copy source, it should take less than a minute to complete the task.

If you document has sections with text and then sections with numbers only, you may not want to pre-translate the whole file. In this situation I recommend you check the range of segments numbers where only numbers appear. Then with you file closed, select it and split it according to the range you found. Then apply pre-translation on the right split. Once you’re done, merge your file.
Really cool!
Collapse

Stefan Stefanov

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In Wordfast Pro Feb 19, 2021

In Wordfast Pro numbers are normally formatted according to target language standards in the quick insertion.
There is no click-to-perform way built in to automate conversion over a whole file, but there is method that works well.

Check the method here: https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Useful_regular_expressions_(Regex)
The second one “Show only num
... See more
In Wordfast Pro numbers are normally formatted according to target language standards in the quick insertion.
There is no click-to-perform way built in to automate conversion over a whole file, but there is method that works well.

Check the method here: https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Useful_regular_expressions_(Regex)
The second one “Show only number-only segments” works well even on chained files.

To get it to work, in the txlf editor, 1st, tick the “Regex” box to the right of “Match Case”. Then in the field directly to the right (where this grey text appear: “Enter text to filter segments…”) paste the regex command listed in the Wiki ( ^(?:(?:-|–|(?:(?:\$|€|£)(?:\h)?))?(?:\d{1,3})(?:\h|,|\.|(?:(?:\h)?(?:%|\$|€|£)))?)+$ ).
That will extract segments with numbers only in them. Then do the 3 step find/replace.
Once you’re finished, make sure to uncheck the Regex box.

That's it.
Hope this is useful to many
Collapse

Stefan Stefanov

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Numbers separator formatting in large batches (segments)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »