Thread poster: finnword1
finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 14:09
English to Finnish
+ ...
May 18, 2018

I can work on old projects and also create one with DVX2 but not with DVX3.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:09
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Lucky you May 18, 2018

Consider yourself lucky: here both DVX2 and DVX3 crash after clicking on "Finish" in the project creation wizard, and sometimes even during start-up of the app, or when trying to repair a TM or TB... Generally, DVX2 and DVX3 won't allow me to work on Windows 10, despite applying all 'solutions' (scripts and whatnot) described on Atril's support site.

I have uninstalled both and don't plan to install them again or upgrade to DVX4, which seems to be developed on the same unreliable pl
... See more
Consider yourself lucky: here both DVX2 and DVX3 crash after clicking on "Finish" in the project creation wizard, and sometimes even during start-up of the app, or when trying to repair a TM or TB... Generally, DVX2 and DVX3 won't allow me to work on Windows 10, despite applying all 'solutions' (scripts and whatnot) described on Atril's support site.

I have uninstalled both and don't plan to install them again or upgrade to DVX4, which seems to be developed on the same unreliable platform for the reason of 'backwards compatibility' (which translates into 'lack of resources' or 'lack of technical know-how', I'm afraid).

And Atril have totally disappeared, leaving their products in an unstable and unusable state. When the foundations are weak, the entire building will collapse, eventually. That's exactly what seems to have happened here.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:09
English to Turkish
+ ...
works on Windows 10 English version May 18, 2018

I have both DVX2 and DVX3 on my Windows 10 English version, with all the Windows updates installed. They work as usual, I did not experience any problems when opening, creating projects, repairing TM, TB or project files. I wonder if the problem is related to Windows installations in other languages.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
English here May 18, 2018

I also have the English version installed. I use three input languages: English US, Greek, and French (using the US International keyboard), but I don't think this can affect DVX in any way.

It's just Atril's insistence on using Access for their databases. It's 2018, use SQL Server or SQLite already... The people who need that kind of 'backwards compatibility' (the so-called 'fans' of DVX) will retire from our profession in a couple of years...

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Gave up on DVX3... for now May 18, 2018

Unfortunately, DVX3 has been plagued with problems for several months now. Before that it used to be the most stable and advanced CAT tool out there (but for a few strange decisions, like inability to propagate to confirmed segments, quirky marking of recognized terms, clumsy QA) Now I can no longer start a new project, or edit a TM, or change settings... DVX3 simply crashes and that is it.

Atril's inability to fix the problem (whatever that may be) and a failed remote access sessio
... See more
Unfortunately, DVX3 has been plagued with problems for several months now. Before that it used to be the most stable and advanced CAT tool out there (but for a few strange decisions, like inability to propagate to confirmed segments, quirky marking of recognized terms, clumsy QA) Now I can no longer start a new project, or edit a TM, or change settings... DVX3 simply crashes and that is it.

Atril's inability to fix the problem (whatever that may be) and a failed remote access session proved to me that it was time to move on.

As much as I dislike Trados, which is oversize, super slow, counter intuitive and would not even allow you to easily add new terms from inside the editor, I had to move back into SDL's fold.

I need to work and make money.

Unless, Atril are able to prove to me that they know what their software woes are and that they have their head and heart at the right place, I am not moving back to DVX.
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Advanced? May 18, 2018

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:
...inability to propagate to confirmed segments, quirky marking of recognized terms, clumsy QA...

What of these made the tool the 'most advanced'? Nothing of these is advanced. It's just features that they have not improved at all because of the change-aversion of their ten 'fans' who have been with Atril since 1993.

And what is advanced about having to write SQL statements yourself? Yes, I know SQL, but I can't learn by heart the column names and the language codes that Atril use. I don't want to consult the manual all the time. It's the equivalent of asking Atril to write their code in Assembly language instead of using a high-level programming language like C# and Visual Basic (of which they use the latter, I think, either entirely or mostly).

[Edited at 2018-05-18 20:19 GMT]

Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Why is DVX the most advanced CAT tool out there? May 18, 2018

1. The combination of DeepMiner and AutoWrite was offered by Atril long before Trados had anything but AutoSuggest Creator (sold separately), which is a static feature and does not include your current project. DVX is still better than what Studio has to offer with its AutoSuggest Creator minimum size requirements, etc.
2. DVX TM's are smaller, the software (when it works) works faster and leaner that Trados, and adding and editing new terms while translating is a breeze.
3. Two-dire
... See more
1. The combination of DeepMiner and AutoWrite was offered by Atril long before Trados had anything but AutoSuggest Creator (sold separately), which is a static feature and does not include your current project. DVX is still better than what Studio has to offer with its AutoSuggest Creator minimum size requirements, etc.
2. DVX TM's are smaller, the software (when it works) works faster and leaner that Trados, and adding and editing new terms while translating is a breeze.
3. Two-directional TM's, while with Trados you have to make a new TM to change the direction... mind boggling.
4. In Studio I am watching MultiTerm arrange and re-arrange the terms for 20 seconds before adding a new one from inside the editor. On a big project that means literally hours of wasted time.
5. And how about the "Term already exists" message bug, when editing the new term you have just added?
6. Trados's Preview feature is a complete failure. They have not been able to fix it for 3-4 years now.

All things considered, DVX is the most advanced tool out there and until recently it has been the most reliable one. Alas, at least on my computer, the latter is no longer true.
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Good ideas, poor implementation May 18, 2018

Atril have had some good ideas, but they have failed miserably in their execution. The results offered by DeepMiner for Greek have been a mixed bag, mostly bad and absurd: fragments ending with an article or a preposition, for example. UpLIFT fragments are way more useful, because of their superior quality.

Atril could follow up on and improve their own ideas, instead of complaining about "Green Ogres" and "Orange witches" who stole their ideas. (They really did this some years ago
... See more
Atril have had some good ideas, but they have failed miserably in their execution. The results offered by DeepMiner for Greek have been a mixed bag, mostly bad and absurd: fragments ending with an article or a preposition, for example. UpLIFT fragments are way more useful, because of their superior quality.

Atril could follow up on and improve their own ideas, instead of complaining about "Green Ogres" and "Orange witches" who stole their ideas. (They really did this some years ago in a presentation at ProZ's conference on International Translation Day). They need to build on and refine their crude ideas, instead of giving up on them.

[Edited at 2018-05-18 21:21 GMT]
Collapse

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not good May 18, 2018

I have been a loyal DejaVu fan for more than 15 years, but now I am worried. It could be that the current problem may have something to do with Windows 10, not my favorite. In fact, the definition for the word "kluge" comes to my mind: "a software or hardware configuration that, while inelegant, inefficient, clumsy, or patched together, succeeds in solving a specific problem or performing a particular task." I do miss the good old Windows XP. If it turns out that DVX3 is another kluge, the two m... See more
I have been a loyal DejaVu fan for more than 15 years, but now I am worried. It could be that the current problem may have something to do with Windows 10, not my favorite. In fact, the definition for the word "kluge" comes to my mind: "a software or hardware configuration that, while inelegant, inefficient, clumsy, or patched together, succeeds in solving a specific problem or performing a particular task." I do miss the good old Windows XP. If it turns out that DVX3 is another kluge, the two may never again work properly together. I have had good luck with Atril tech support, but it has now been six days. Hopefully they will come up with an elegant solution.Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Patchwork May 18, 2018

I don't think they will ever release DVX4 or fix DVX3. My last guess was that they would release in September or by the end of 2018 (when Atril said end of 2017), but now I don't expect anything at all. From one Access engine to another... It won't happen, people. Even Microsoft advises against using it.

The word this situation brings to my mind is 'fubar' (look it up).

[Edited at 2018-05-18 22:37 GMT]

Atril_TEAM
Atril_TEAM
France
Local time: 19:09
Dear all... May 23, 2018

We understand your concerns and where they are coming from. There’s no denying that releasing DVX4 is taking longer than originally planned. At the moment, we are planning to release an updated version of DVX3 which will include the following new features: integration with TMX Mall, support for SRT files and DeepL integration, as well as fixes to major known issues. We have new development team members on board, who are working to get this all sorted out. We are sorry for the delay and the has... See more
We understand your concerns and where they are coming from. There’s no denying that releasing DVX4 is taking longer than originally planned. At the moment, we are planning to release an updated version of DVX3 which will include the following new features: integration with TMX Mall, support for SRT files and DeepL integration, as well as fixes to major known issues. We have new development team members on board, who are working to get this all sorted out. We are sorry for the delay and the hassle it may have caused.

Sincerely,
Atril team
Collapse

Evangelia Tsichli

Epameinondas Soufleros
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Will it work again on Windows 10? May 24, 2018

Does the DVX3 update mean that the program will run on Windows 10, and I will finally be able to export my translation memories and term bases, which are now stuck in a format that is used by a program that doesn't even launch?

[Edited at 2018-05-24 08:05 GMT]

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Windows 10 and fallback CAT May 24, 2018

I have been using DVX3 on Windows 10 since day one and have not experienced any problem thus far. However, it's always on the back of my mind that DVX3 may one day quit on me after one of those Windows 10 regular updates.

For those who are moving away from DVX or have already done so, what is your choice of a fallback or an alternative CAT?

Your input is much appreciated. Thank you.

I am testing out WordFast Pro 5, Cafe Tran Espresso and XTM.

... See more
I have been using DVX3 on Windows 10 since day one and have not experienced any problem thus far. However, it's always on the back of my mind that DVX3 may one day quit on me after one of those Windows 10 regular updates.

For those who are moving away from DVX or have already done so, what is your choice of a fallback or an alternative CAT?

Your input is much appreciated. Thank you.

I am testing out WordFast Pro 5, Cafe Tran Espresso and XTM.

[Edited at 2018-05-24 10:44 GMT]
Collapse

finnword1
finnword1
United States
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
today it works Jun 1, 2018

I have not done anything to DVX 3 since it was down, and today I decided to try one more time. Now it creates projects normally. I am beginning to think that Microsoft may have been "upgrading" my operating system. I need to keep my fingers crossed and hope that there won't be a "downgrade" any time soon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX3 stopped creating projects on Windows 10

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »