Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46] >
Off topic: 不翻译时聊电影(Translations and Movies)
Thread poster: chance (X)
deleted. (X)
deleted. (X)
Australia
Local time: 08:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
视内容而定 Dec 16, 2014

ysun wrote:

直译是既保持原文内容、又保持原文形式的翻译方法或翻译文字。意译,也称为自由翻译,它是只保持原文内容、不保持原文形式的翻译方法或翻译文字。

这个定义挺好。我翻译的文件中有不少我都尽量采用直译,特别是法庭文件。虽然使用原文形式有时会略失自然,但是却不会引起额外的纠纷。

产品宣传推广资料则相反,翻译的时候要自由得多。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:13
Chinese to English
+ ...
euphemism for 瞎译 :D Dec 16, 2014

ysun wrote:

wherestip wrote:

ysun wrote:

不过,不同的人对“直译”的定义也许会有不同的理解。你的标准也许较高。无论如何,“直译”最起码还是得把原文意思翻准确了。怕的就是那种在未理解原文意思之前就逐字翻译。

Indeed. That's how I always perceived the term "直译", meaning the person "未理解原文意思之前就逐字翻译", almost as bad as "照字面翻". To my ear it's always been a deprecating term.

Steve,

以前,这里也有人对直译方式持否定态度。我想,其原因也许就在于对“直译”的定义有不同的理解。实际上, "未理解原文意思之前就逐字翻译"并不能算是直译,而是瞎译。在翻译界,对于直译与意译的定义似乎也并不完全一致。我比较同意以下说法。

http://baike.baidu.com/view/295412.htm

直译是既保持原文内容、又保持原文形式的翻译方法或翻译文字。意译,也称为自由翻译,它是只保持原文内容、不保持原文形式的翻译方法或翻译文字。

Yueyin,

I agree with you. I started out saying that it's a matter of nomenclature and perception in one of my postings yesterday. However I later edited it out due to the lack of clarity.

Thank you for the link, BTW. I guess my prejudice against the term "直译" isn't based on theory, but probably results from the substandard translations out there everywhere one turns.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Wikipedia Page Explanation on "Literal Translation" Dec 17, 2014

Yueyin,

I'm sure the explanation in this wiki page is not what the Chinese "直译" advocates intended for the term to mean. That could be clearly seen from the link you provided. But some of the criticism leveled here kind of coincide with some of the unfavorable views I have on the approach/technique. As I said before, although I always had the dislike of the term "直译", it was never based on some theory I read; it was merely the result of seeing many instances of poor trans
... See more
Yueyin,

I'm sure the explanation in this wiki page is not what the Chinese "直译" advocates intended for the term to mean. That could be clearly seen from the link you provided. But some of the criticism leveled here kind of coincide with some of the unfavorable views I have on the approach/technique. As I said before, although I always had the dislike of the term "直译", it was never based on some theory I read; it was merely the result of seeing many instances of poor translation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literal_translation

Literal translation, direct translation, or word-for-word translation is the rendering of text from one language to another one word at a time (Latin: "verbum pro verbo") with or without conveying the sense of the original whole.

In translation studies, "literal translation" denotes technical translation of scientific, technical, technological or legal texts.

In translation theory, another term for "literal translation" is "metaphrase"; and for phrasal ("sense") translation — "paraphrase."

When considered a bad practice of conveying word by word (lexeme to lexeme, or morpheme to lexeme) translation of non-technical type literal translations has the meaning of mistranslating idioms, for example, or in the context of translating an analytic language to a synthetic language, it renders even the grammar unintelligible.

The concept of literal translation may be viewed as an oxymoron (contradiction in terms), given that literal denotes something existing without interpretation, whereas a translation, by its very nature, is an interpretation (an interpretation of the meaning of words from one language into another).

As bad practice

"Literal" translation implies that it is probably full of errors, since the translator has made no effort to convey, for example, correct idioms or shades of meaning, but it might be also useful in seeing how words are used to convey a meaning in the source language.

Examples
A literal English translation of the German word "Kindergarten" would be "children garden," but in English the expression refers to the school year between pre-school and first grade. Literal translations in which individual components within words or compounds are translated to create new lexical items in the target language (a process also known as “loan translation”) are called calques, e.g., “beer garden” from German “Biergarten.”

Literal translation of the Italian sentence, "So che questo non va bene" ("I know that this is not good"), produces "Know(I) that this not goes(it) well," which has English words and Italian grammar.

Machine translation
Early machine translations (as of 1962 at least) were notorious for this type of translation as they simply employed a database of words and their translations. Later attempts utilized common phrases which resulted in better grammatical structure and capture of idioms but with many words left in the original language. For translating synthetic languages, a morphosyntactic analyzer and synthesizer is required.

The best systems today use a combination of the above technologies and apply algorithms to correct the "natural" sound of the translation. In the end though, professional translation firms that employ machine translation use it as a tool to create a rough translation that is then tweaked by a human, professional translator.

Pidgins
Often, first-generation immigrants create something of a literal translation in how they speak their parents' native language. This results in a mix of the two languages in something of a pidgin. Many such mixes have specific names, e.g. Spanglish or Germish. For example, American children of German immigrants are heard using "rockingstool" from the German word "Schaukelstuhl" instead of "rocking chair".

Mistranslations
Literal translation of idioms is a source of numerous translators' jokes and apocrypha. The following famous example has often been told both in the context of newbie translators and that of machine translation: When the sentence "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak" (дух бодр, плоть же немощна, an allusion to Mark 14:38) was translated into Russian and then back to English, the result was "The vodka is good, but the meat is rotten" (спирт, конечно, готов, но мясо протухло). This is generally believed to be simply an amusing story, and not a factual reference to an actual machine translation error.

Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
“直译” and “literal translation” Dec 17, 2014

Steve,

You are right. It seems “直译” and “literal translation” are not exactly the same. Now, I have a better understanding as to why you and some other colleagues are not in favor of “直译”.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Morale Services Division Dec 17, 2014

This is the first time I learnt that the U.S. Army had a Morale Services Division. 总政?

Why We Fight
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_We_Fight

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
the proof is in the pudding Dec 17, 2014

ysun wrote:

Steve,

You are right. It seems “直译” and “literal translation” are not exactly the same. Now, I have a better understanding as to why you and some other colleagues are not in favor of “直译”.

Thanks, Yueyin. I'm pretty sure that we still go about our business using the same method we've been using in translation. What we call the approach (nomenclature) depends on our individual perspective.

"直译"也好,"意译"也好,译得准确通俗就是好样的。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
异曲同工 Dec 17, 2014

Steve,

是的。甭管是实译还是意译,衡量标准都是一样的,即信、达、雅。

[Edited at 2014-12-17 20:37 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
It’s a Wonderful Life Dec 20, 2014

https://archive.org/details/FilmeAFelicidadeNoSeCompra-ItsAWonderfulLife1946

This is one of my favorite movies. My favorite part is in the last half hour about how the Angel Clarence helped George Bailey change his mind and get out of the trouble.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
《舞台姐妹》 Mar 31, 2015

说起江南戏剧曲艺,不禁想起这部老片子。 文化革命中这部电影曾被列为毒草,记得主要批判的是影片充满人性(论),并鼓吹宣扬了 “认认真真唱戏,清清白白做人” 的处世哲学。

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdbxsi6Ne3w

[Edited at 2015-04-01 01:42 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
The Doolittle Raid on 18 April 1942 Apr 18, 2015

《东京上空三十秒》
http://www.56.com/u96/v_NTA4MTQ3MTc.html

Doolittle Raid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doolittle_Raid

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
Fast and Furious 7 has made a box office of 2.3 billion CNY in China at a fast and furious speed! May 5, 2015

"这一周的冠军依然是《速度与激情7》,该片已经实现了四连冠,单周2.85亿,累计超过23亿。"

http://ent.ifeng.com/a/20150505/42393645_0.shtml

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Truth in Advertising May 5, 2015

J.H. Wang wrote:

"原班人马, 以牙还牙" is kind of stretching it, isn't it?

Paul Walker's two brothers had to stand in for some of his scenes with his head shot superimposed on their bodies. I'm sure there were plenty of Paul Walker's head shots from 1 through 6 of the movie franchise to work with.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Cody Walker May 5, 2015

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/05/04/fast-and-furious-8-has-an-official-release-date-and-paul-walker-s-brother-cody-may-have-a-role-in-it-2907167

Fresh off the record-breaking success of Furious 7, we now have confirmation from the man himself, Vin Diesel a.k.a. Dom Toretto, that Fast & Furious 8 now has a release date. Diesel announced this while at CinemaCon in Las Vegas, and that date is April 14, 2017.

Diesel was quoted as saying:

"It means a lot to me to get your blessing. We were giddy and excited. You all gave me so much confidence. There was so much love.”
The news is that, apparently, Cody Walker, brother of Paul, is in talks to join the cast in a more established role. At this point it's unlikely that he will replace Paul - rather, he will likely take on a role as a new character in the eighth installment of the franchise.

Of course, Cody Walker helped shoot the CGI version of Paul Walker that took place at the end of the film and was featured in the music video for Wiz Khalifa and Charlie Puth's "See You Again" that some would say has become so iconic.

According to Breath Cast, Furious 7 is the seventh highest grossing film of all time, so it only makes sense that we now have firm plans set for an eighth movie. Cody would likely do an excellent job as this a random character, good or bad, or as a new member of the crew, or possibly even a relative of Walker's character Brian O'Connor.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
The three Walker brothers May 5, 2015

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
Speed and tragedy May 6, 2015

wherestip wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

"原班人马, 以牙还牙" is kind of stretching it, isn't it?

Paul Walker's two brothers had to stand in for some of his scenes with his head shot superimposed on their bodies. I'm sure there were plenty of Paul Walker's head shots from 1 through 6 of the movie franchise to work with.

这个系列的电影我看的不多。不过冲着传奇的票房成绩,我到电影院看了速7。当然,这部电影的一系列动作和特技很精彩,尤其是跑车在高空连穿三座大厦这样让人瞠目结舌的表演。

不过,联系现实的话,像汽车这样的科技产品在给人带来速度与激情的同时,也带来了很多悲剧。

“据德国《图片报》4月11日报道,联合国的最新统计数据显示,全世界每年因交通事故死亡的人数超过了100万。
  报道称,2010年全球因交通事故死亡的人共计124万人,其中行人就多达27万人,此外,每天因交通事故死亡的中小学生超过2000人。联合国担心,这一数字会在2015年翻一番。”

http://gb.cri.cn/42071/2014/04/13/5105s4501559.htm

我想,在享受高科技的同时,如何保持速度与理智的平衡是个值得注意的问题。

[Edited at 2015-05-06 14:11 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

不翻译时聊电影(Translations and Movies)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »