Seula Yun  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 02:50
Member (2017)
English to Korean
+ ...
Mar 10, 2018

Hi guys,

Recently, I was requested to do a free sample test by a blueboard registered company. The request was from an asian branch of the company.

The test was about product description of a luxury brand. I followed their style guide as much as I could but the result was fail - I was ok with it.

A few days later, I was curious about what would have been a better translation for it. So I checked their website and realized that it was identical to mine apart
... See more
Hi guys,

Recently, I was requested to do a free sample test by a blueboard registered company. The request was from an asian branch of the company.

The test was about product description of a luxury brand. I followed their style guide as much as I could but the result was fail - I was ok with it.

A few days later, I was curious about what would have been a better translation for it. So I checked their website and realized that it was identical to mine apart from a word which they changed.

They should have not used it if that was not fit to their style guide. It was only a few words but still annoying. I am thinking to either contacting the head quarter of the translation agency or the website. Is this too much and shall I just let it go? What would you do if you experience this?

Thank you
Collapse

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:50
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Claim for payment Mar 10, 2018

Seula Yun wrote:

Hi guys,

A few days later, I was curious about what would have been a better translation for it. So I checked their website and realized that it was identical to mine apart from a word which they changed.

They should have not used it if that was not fit to their style guide. It was only a few words but still annoying. I am thinking to either contacting the head quarter of the translation agency or the website. Is this too much and shall I just let it go? What would you do if you experience this?

Thank you

Hi Seula,

Congrats to you because you found your translation being used by the agency. I would take a screen shot of it. Send it with your original translation to the person who first contacted you for the translation test and told you you failed (with copy of the emails as proof) , and ask for payment.

I think you have the right to ask because that is your work. They just cheated on you by saying that you failed the test. It isn't too much for you to claim what you deserve -- time spent and your effort to deliver a translation that is, in the end, usable on the website.

That's what I would do.

Hope this helps.

David

Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:50
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree Mar 10, 2018

I agree 100% with David. When you translate a text, you are the intellectual owner of the translation. Normally, if they didn't like your translation, they should have discarded it. So, they've lied to you. Apparently, they did not only like your work, but they are using it to make profit and you don't get paid or recognised for it. Complain and say that they only have two choices: (1) Pay you for the translation; which won't hurt their pockets as it was probably a short text (add your PayPal a... See more
I agree 100% with David. When you translate a text, you are the intellectual owner of the translation. Normally, if they didn't like your translation, they should have discarded it. So, they've lied to you. Apparently, they did not only like your work, but they are using it to make profit and you don't get paid or recognised for it. Complain and say that they only have two choices: (1) Pay you for the translation; which won't hurt their pockets as it was probably a short text (add your PayPal account so they can quickly pay you with a click); or (2) Tell them to remove it because it's your creation.

Continue bothering and spamming them until they do either one of them!
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
a little money lie is ok for big fish, alas Mar 10, 2018

Indeed, as well as a 'free test' malpractice and 'even more' fuzzy matches discounts, this is namely white-collar theft (without threats, force, and blood).

However, I'm sure they will neither pay, nor remove the translation, because it equals to admitting their fault--that they are but criminals. Of cause, unless it's about BOTH--big money and reputation, which isn't the case.

Anyway, it's much better than working for/with liars and thieves)

[Edited at 2018-03-
... See more
Indeed, as well as a 'free test' malpractice and 'even more' fuzzy matches discounts, this is namely white-collar theft (without threats, force, and blood).

However, I'm sure they will neither pay, nor remove the translation, because it equals to admitting their fault--that they are but criminals. Of cause, unless it's about BOTH--big money and reputation, which isn't the case.

Anyway, it's much better than working for/with liars and thieves)

[Edited at 2018-03-10 22:43 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:50
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
That stinks! Mar 10, 2018

I think you've had good advice. It's worth spending a few minutes trying to get what you're rightfully due. I would tell them you'll sue for copyright infringement if they don't pay you for the translation. So don't just contact the PM - copy in the SEO (or whoever) too.

Ramunas Kontrimas
Ramunas Kontrimas  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 19:50
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
BB comment Mar 11, 2018

That's disgusting.
I would definitely let them know that I'm about to make an appropriate BB comment.
By all means, take a screenshot.
Good luck

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A company used my test translation on website

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »