sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:30
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2018

by a certain provider. First time in this space.
Anyone had something similar before?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:30
English to French
+ ...
There have been several threads... Mar 7, 2018

... mentioning this very practice in recent years.

On one occasion, I sent a scan of my driver's license to the customer, after redacting a number of things (my birth date and the License number, in particular, if memory serves). The customer accepted it, and that was that.

That was the sole occasion that I felt the request had some merit.

I never send any ID, with or without photo, to alleged agencies fishing around to populate their database of free-lanc
... See more

On one occasion, I sent a scan of my driver's license to the customer, after redacting a number of things (my birth date and the License number, in particular, if memory serves). The customer accepted it, and that was that.

I never send any ID, with or without photo, to alleged agencies fishing around to populate their database of free-lance translators.

And, although this is beyond the scope of this question, my résumé/CV contains images with a "reproduction prohibited" watermark, rather than plain text, to prevent (or, more likely, slightly deter) unscrupulous entities to copy/paste my experience in their web site to claim that I am a full-time employee.
Collapse

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Photo ID Mar 8, 2018

This request could be used to find out what race the translator is. You could never demand this in the US.

Sharon James
Sharon James
Australia
unnecessary Mar 8, 2018

I don't think it is necessary.

sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So I did the right thing Mar 8, 2018

JL01 wrote:

I never send any ID, with or without photo, to alleged agencies fishing around to populate their database of free-lance translators.

And, although this is beyond the scope of this question, my résumé/CV contains images with a "reproduction prohibited" watermark, rather than plain text, to prevent (or, more likely, slightly deter) unscrupulous entities to copy/paste my experience in their web site to claim that I am a full-time employee.

not sending nada.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Photo Mar 8, 2018

I’ve been translating professionally for over 30 years and the only time I was asked for a photo was by a British translation agency which after a test, a signed NDA and a long list of other requirements sent me a so-called welcome pack having 34 pages for me to read, fill, sign and return… My answer was: thank you but no thanks!

Viesturs Lacis
Viesturs Lacis  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:30
English to Latvian
Curious Mar 8, 2018

Michael Newton wrote:

This request could be used to find out what race the translator is. You could never demand this in the US.

Admittedly I'm not an American, but it is my understanding that anti-discrimination laws typically protect customers from being discriminated against by vendors and service providers, not vice versa. Customers are usually completely free to use or decline the services provided by any vendor and do not have to justify their choice to anyone. In this scenario, it would be the translator who is the "service provider" and therefore subject to whatever anti-discrimination restrictions might apply. Is it different in the US?

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:30
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

Do Not Share with anyone but Government Agency Mar 8, 2018

Hello,
I had a similar experience recently. I saved the Identity Theft Resource Center's 2-page information sheet in PDF format and in the appropriate section of the online application with the requesting potential client I uploaded this file. (The first page also contains a cute image; Elvis Presley's driver license (not real, of course) which shows how easy it is to use a DL.)

The most important advise:
"The thing you need to keep in mind is that the only piece of info
... See more
Hello,
I had a similar experience recently. I saved the Identity Theft Resource Center's 2-page information sheet in PDF format and in the appropriate section of the online application with the requesting potential client I uploaded this file. (The first page also contains a cute image; Elvis Presley's driver license (not real, of course) which shows how easy it is to use a DL.)

"The thing you need to keep in mind is that the only piece of information that is needed is your DL# or state ID#. Your name, address, DOB etc. is not needed to steal your identity.
How Can I Minimize My Risks?
The best thing to do is safeguard your driver's license information. Don’t allow anyone but government officials to scan/swipe your license unless they are required to by law"

No, I have not heard from the potential client again...
Collapse

sdvplatt
sdvplatt
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The PDF that was sent Mar 8, 2018

Ildiko Santana wrote:

Hello,

"The thing you need to keep in mind is that the only piece of information that is needed is your DL# or state ID#. Your name, address, DOB etc. is not needed to steal your identity.
How Can I Minimize My Risks?
The best thing to do is safeguard your driver's license information. Don’t allow anyone but government officials to scan/swipe your license unless they are required to by law"

No, I have not heard from the potential client again...

This was the justification they gave (PDF)
https://mega.nz/#!dkhUULRB!w81_UkuaOOVkRpHqjyOmVpkhu5CgvYhhkE6QwRIJ4z8
How about Proz doing more?

[Edited at 2018-03-08 18:50 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Photo ID Mar 8, 2018

This is not a typical vendor (department store say Harrods)/user (customer) relationship where Harrods is trying to pass off Vietnamese robusta coffee as Jamaican Blue Mountain.
A translator in the US (a would-be "employee") applies for a free-lance position with an agency (a putative "employer").
Job-seekers in the US can be discriminated against for a number of reasons: (1) gender; (2) race; (3) age.
A photograph could cover all of the above. No reasonable company would dem
... See more
This is not a typical vendor (department store say Harrods)/user (customer) relationship where Harrods is trying to pass off Vietnamese robusta coffee as Jamaican Blue Mountain.
A translator in the US (a would-be "employee") applies for a free-lance position with an agency (a putative "employer").
Job-seekers in the US can be discriminated against for a number of reasons: (1) gender; (2) race; (3) age.
A photograph could cover all of the above. No reasonable company would demand this. If they did, the ACLU would be hot on their tails. There would be litigation, fines and embarrassment.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being asked for photo ID to commence collaboration

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »