Igor Timko
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:12
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 8, 2017

Dear all,

I am a UK-based translator. I have just completed a job for a German-based customer.
When she learned that I do not pay VAT, she asked me to add a statement on my invoice saying that, and she mentioned that there was a standard formula used by UK-based translators.

What would you normally write in this case?

I am a sole proprietor. I do not pay VAT, because I do not reach the threshold.

Thank you for your help.

K
... See more
Dear all,

I am a UK-based translator. I have just completed a job for a German-based customer.
When she learned that I do not pay VAT, she asked me to add a statement on my invoice saying that, and she mentioned that there was a standard formula used by UK-based translators.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Igor Timko
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
A German agency I work for asked me to always include the following on my invoices: Dec 8, 2017

Igor Timko PhD MCIL wrote:

Dear all,

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Igor Timko

Reverse Charge; see ‘VAT Notice 741A: place of supply of services’.
Unique Taxpayer Reference Number (UTR): XXXXXXXX’.

Michael

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
VAT not applicable Dec 8, 2017

"VAT not applicable"

That's what I put on my invoices. It has never been queried.

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
"VAT reverse charge" and "VAT not applicable" Dec 8, 2017

Within the EU the VAT reverse charge applies. The following is the wording I use for VAT registered clients within the EU: "VAT exempt invoice in accordance with Articles 44 and 196 of Council Directive 2006/112/EC. This service is subject to the VAT reverse charge."

For clients within the UK, or non VAT registered customers within the EU (who are effectively treated as consumers) I use the wording "VAT not applicable", since I am not registered for VAT in the UK.

[Edited
... See more
Within the EU the VAT reverse charge applies. The following is the wording I use for VAT registered clients within the EU: "VAT exempt invoice in accordance with Articles 44 and 196 of Council Directive 2006/112/EC. This service is subject to the VAT reverse charge."

For clients within the UK, or non VAT registered customers within the EU (who are effectively treated as consumers) I use the wording "VAT not applicable", since I am not registered for VAT in the UK.

[Edited at 2017-12-08 17:54 GMT]
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:12
French to English
UK - Germany Dec 9, 2017

There was a post on the very same subject, about a month ago maybe, specifically about a UK-based translator whose client in Germany wanted a particular form of words.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UK VAT exemption clause

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »