Are there any other CAT tools for Mac other than Memsource?
Thread poster: Bora Taşdemir
Bora Taşdemir
Bora Taşdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:09
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Oct 3, 2018

Dear colleagues,

I have been working with Memsource CAT tool on my iMac since I couldn't find any other CAT tools for this OS. Do you know any other alternatives?

It's because this cloud-based CAT tool is a little bit expansive. I pay the price, that's OK, but I don't think they provide me with an adequate service. The online platform doesn't work properly and they recommend working on desktop version. I do as they say, but that doesn't do the trick either - TM function
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I have been working with Memsource CAT tool on my iMac since I couldn't find any other CAT tools for this OS. Do you know any other alternatives?

It's because this cloud-based CAT tool is a little bit expansive. I pay the price, that's OK, but I don't think they provide me with an adequate service. The online platform doesn't work properly and they recommend working on desktop version. I do as they say, but that doesn't do the trick either - TM function doesn't work properly when I use the desktop client. Moreover, when I contact support about an issue on desktop version, they always give the same answer: did you download the latest version? They keep launching a new version like every single day and I think they use this as an excuse.

What they do is always hosting webinars about Machine Translation. But the basic tool doesn't function properly, why don't you improve the basic tool first?

Here is one of the issues I faced (last one):

Ekran Resmi 2018-10-02 13.55.02

Even though one term (flaming sky) was translated standalone before, it doesn't show up on the right hand side. These kind of TM issues cause inconsistency issues.

Can you recommend me another good tool for Mac? Do you know any?

Thanks in advance!

Bora Taşdemir
Eng/Ger -> Tur
Apps/Games/Web Sites Localizator
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:09
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You may be interested in this Oct 3, 2018

https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/329279-is_it_safe_to_upgrade_my_mac_os_to_mojave_if_using_wordfast_pro_560.html?sns=1&post=2754716#2754716

Bora Taşdemir

Bora Taşdemir
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Tom! Oct 3, 2018

I will definitely change to Wordfast Pro!!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:09
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Try CafeTran Oct 3, 2018

IYAM, the only decent CAT tool on a Mac = CafeTran. Info: https://www.cafetran.com/

Michael

Bora Taşdemir
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How much is it? Oct 3, 2018

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your answer.
Have you been using this? If so, have you faced any issues? Can you please tell how much it is (is there a subscription or one-time payment)?

Thanks
Bora

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:09
English to Spanish
Swordfish Translation Editor Oct 3, 2018

Hi,

You can use Swordfish Translation Editor, https://www.maxprograms.com/products/swordfish.html, on your Mac.

Regards,
Rodolfo

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Plenty of CAT tools Oct 3, 2018

There are plenty of CAT tools that work on a Mac, other than Memsource:

OFFLINE: OmegaT, CafeTran Espresso, WordFast Pro, Swordfish Translation Editor, Fluency Now…
ONLINE: MateCat, Smartcat, Wordfast Anywhere, Lilt and XTM Cloud (the last two are more expensive that Memsource, the first three are mostly free)…

A little research surely goes a long way…

I suggest CafeTran Espresso, but the best is to test them all by yourself. Nobody can do that
... See more

OFFLINE: OmegaT, CafeTran Espresso, WordFast Pro, Swordfish Translation Editor, Fluency Now…
ONLINE: MateCat, Smartcat, Wordfast Anywhere, Lilt and XTM Cloud (the last two are more expensive that Memsource, the first three are mostly free)…

I suggest CafeTran Espresso, but the best is to test them all by yourself. Nobody can do that for you.

Jean
Collapse

Alice Crisan
Hans Lenting

Bora Taşdemir
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jean! Oct 3, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

I suggest CafeTran Espresso, but the best is to test them all by yourself. Nobody can do that for you.

Jean

Does CafeTran Espresso require a subscription or do you get it via one-time payment?

Thanks
Bora

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Annual subscription, one-time purchase or via the ProZ Plus membership Oct 3, 2018

You can have it either way.

Without a license file, the free copy of CafeTran Espresso that you download will run forever (so you can test it thoroughly) — but with the following limitations: You won’t be able to work with TM files that are larger than 1000 TU’s in size (in total), and you will not be able to make use of glossaries that are larger than 500 terms (in total). To remove those limitations, you need a license file generated specifically for your computer. Two optio
... See more
You can have it either way.

Without a license file, the free copy of CafeTran Espresso that you download will run forever (so you can test it thoroughly) — but with the following limitations: You won’t be able to work with TM files that are larger than 1000 TU’s in size (in total), and you will not be able to make use of glossaries that are larger than 500 terms (in total). To remove those limitations, you need a license file generated specifically for your computer. Two options exist for obtaining license files:

Annual subscription: EUR 80
One-time Purchase: EUR 200

https://www.cafetran.com/get-cafetran/

Please note ProZ Plus members can also use CafeTran Espresso as part of their membership. If you take that route, you connect your ProZ credentials and use CafeTran without limitations, provided you have an internet connection (for credentials validation at program start).
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Charles Ek
Charles Ek  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:09
Member (2009)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
OmegaT for the win Jan 18, 2020

OmegaT is free, robust and easy to use. I started using it 11 years ago and built my successful translation business with it almost exclusively.

I am primarily a legal translator, and the vast majority of source documents I receive are in MS Word, RTF or PDF format. I convert the PDF files with ABBYY FineReader Pro for Mac (which frequently outshines the OCR tools that agencies use). Occasionally the source documents are Excel files or other formats.

I don’t provide o
... See more
OmegaT is free, robust and easy to use. I started using it 11 years ago and built my successful translation business with it almost exclusively.

I am primarily a legal translator, and the vast majority of source documents I receive are in MS Word, RTF or PDF format. I convert the PDF files with ABBYY FineReader Pro for Mac (which frequently outshines the OCR tools that agencies use). Occasionally the source documents are Excel files or other formats.

I don’t provide output in other CAT formats other than simple TMX files.

Somehow I manage to eat without bending any further to meet agency demands.
Collapse

esperantisto

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any other CAT tools for Mac other than Memsource?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »