GT4T and Across
Thread poster: CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 19:51
Oct 21, 2017

Across is a rather closed ecosystem. It comes in two flavours: in a web browser and as a desktop app. Both have the table presentation in common: source at the left, target at the right. You can download a free version of the desktop app. To test the browser version, you’ll need someone to set up a project for you.

It seems to me that GT4T could supply the long awaited solution to free Across from its self chosen cage. Dallas could you please have a look at this?

Dow
... See more
Across is a rather closed ecosystem. It comes in two flavours: in a web browser and as a desktop app. Both have the table presentation in common: source at the left, target at the right. You can download a free version of the desktop app. To test the browser version, you’ll need someone to set up a project for you.

It seems to me that GT4T could supply the long awaited solution to free Across from its self chosen cage. Dallas could you please have a look at this?

Download: http://www.my-across.net/en/download/

On second thought: I'm getting doubts about what the UI of crossWeb looks like. It's been some months ago that I was invited to use it. Perhaps one of the regular users can post a screenshot?

This is what I found:

acrossHaupt_image1507

I'm afraid that this is a rather old image.

One of the biggest objections that many translators have against Across is the fact that we don't have full control over what we've produced. Dallas, does GT4T offer a kind of 'logging feature' that will allow creating a TMX file containing the bare text of all source and target segments translated via GT4T? (I think that RTF formatting is less relevant here.)

Can Across be configured to populate empty segments with the source language first? GT4T could pick this up. But how to handle segments where a fuzzy match is inserted? How can GT4T get the source text then? (Store FM, copy S > T, get S, restore FM?)

[Edited at 2017-10-21 09:27 GMT]
Collapse

Gerald von Stein-Salisbury
English to German
Across, CrossWeb, Google Translate, Dallas Oct 21, 2017

Hello,
this is an interesting post, and with respect to where it comes from I can understand.
If your process owner (=customer) wants to have Google machine translated used for his project he can automatically populate the target translations with 100% TM entries and fill in the rest with MT from numerous MT machines. It is a standard feature of Across. If he does not want this to happen it will not be done and it will not be possible to automatically fill in MT segments as a trans
... See more
Hello,
this is an interesting post, and with respect to where it comes from I can understand.
If your process owner (=customer) wants to have Google machine translated used for his project he can automatically populate the target translations with 100% TM entries and fill in the rest with MT from numerous MT machines. It is a standard feature of Across. If he does not want this to happen it will not be done and it will not be possible to automatically fill in MT segments as a translator. And yes, one can export TMX (but why?). And yes, Across can fill in single or all source segments into the target (but why?), and even the translator can do this whenever he wants (and who is Dallas?).
And you have as much control over the product as your process owner (=customer) gives you, so it is generally possible to see what you produced by having a look at the target preview whenever you want. BUT, no matter what you are up to: One definitely needs more insight in the product before fantasizing cool ideas about things "could work" and please: Geniet van de liberale stofcontrole in nederland! Please feel free to contact me anytime in case you have any questions.

Best regards
GAvSS
Collapse

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
You are right Oct 21, 2017

Abandon Across.

English to German
abandon across Oct 21, 2017

What does "Abandon Across" have to do with the non-existent question?

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
To own or not to own Oct 22, 2017

“And you have as much control over the product as your process owner (=customer) gives you”

Sometimes the translator needs to have more control, then GT4T can come in handy. BTW: Dallas is the developer of this nice tool.

English to German
Very interesting Oct 22, 2017

Delivering a MT instead of a human translation ... one can call that necessary. Or one can call it fraud. It might even be a reason why a wide range of translation purchasers like across. And maybe that's why some translators dont. Ill be happy to help with any technical issues related to translation.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, but you got it wrong ... Oct 22, 2017

Gerald von Stein-Salisbury wrote:

Delivering a MT instead of a human translation ... one can call that necessary. Or one can call it fraud. It might even be a reason why a wide range of translation purchasers like across. And maybe that's why some translators dont. Ill be happy to help with any technical issues related to translation.

I'm afraid that you are jumping to conclusions here. Is it because of blind fear of how MT systems can surely be helpful and improve the quality of your work? I never suggested to blindly accept the results of any MT system.

BTW: Across is in my opinion exactly the system that takes your control away and urges you to use less resources to improve the quality of your work as a translator.

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 02:51
English to Chinese
+ ...
No logging Oct 23, 2017

Hi CafeTran,

GT4T doesn't offer such a logging feature and I don't have experience with Across yet. Maybe someday I will download and try it.

Dallas

CafeTran Training wrote:

Download: http://www.my-across.net/en/download/

On second thought: I'm getting doubts about what the UI of crossWeb looks like. It's been some months ago that I was invited to use it. Perhaps one of the regular users can post a screenshot?

This is what I found:

acrossHaupt_image1507

I'm afraid that this is a rather old image.

One of the biggest objections that many translators have against Across is the fact that we don't have full control over what we've produced. Dallas, does GT4T offer a kind of 'logging feature' that will allow creating a TMX file containing the bare text of all source and target segments translated via GT4T? (I think that RTF formatting is less relevant here.)

Can Across be configured to populate empty segments with the source language first? GT4T could pick this up. But how to handle segments where a fuzzy match is inserted? How can GT4T get the source text then? (Store FM, copy S > T, get S, restore FM?)

[Edited at 2017-10-21 09:27 GMT]

Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Machine translation in Across Apr 23, 2022

Machine translation (DeepL/Google/ModernMT) can be used in Across without any problems... even when your agency/client decide to block it for you. Take a look at this video:
https://youtu.be/KgA1GuyolIE?t=237

Same with exporting the texts of your Across translations, no problem at all (except the tags and formatting): You can do it from the Correction view or directly from their data
... See more
Machine translation (DeepL/Google/ModernMT) can be used in Across without any problems... even when your agency/client decide to block it for you. Take a look at this video:
https://youtu.be/KgA1GuyolIE?t=237

Same with exporting the texts of your Across translations, no problem at all (except the tags and formatting): You can do it from the Correction view or directly from their database, see here https://youtu.be/K9s30lJSM1c

Using Across to protect the texts from spreading around or to prevent translators from using MT makes no sense, since it can be easily circumvented. In my humble opinion, the only purpose of Across is to annoy translators.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

GT4T and Across

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »