Thread poster: Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:25
English to French
+ ...
Nov 26, 2008

I have used Trados for years and I have always worked on PCs. Being also familiar with Mac computers and getting increasingly frustrated by Windows I am now considering buying a Mac since I need to purchase a new computer soon.

But... as we all know, Trados is not fully compatible with Mac (without having to use Parallels Desktop or V
... See more
I have used Trados for years and I have always worked on PCs. Being also familiar with Mac computers and getting increasingly frustrated by Windows I am now considering buying a Mac since I need to purchase a new computer soon.

But... as we all know, Trados is not fully compatible with Mac (without having to use Parallels Desktop or Virtual PC).
http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdltradostools/mac/

I was just wondering if anyone knew whether SDL Trados is developing/working on a version of Trados fully compatible with Mac.

I have read a number of discussions on the Proz forum about other CAT tools which are compatible with Mac but I'd like to know if I should just be a little patient and wait until a version of Trados for Mac is developed... or simply forget about the Mac idea (as I see it)!

For those who are interested in reading about CAT tools compatible with Mac, check out these discussions:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/102157-cat_tools_for_mac_os_x_leopard.html#833323

http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/118211-demo_cat_tools_for_mac_os.html#969560
Collapse

Tim van den Oudenhoven
Tim van den Oudenhoven
Germany
Local time: 11:25
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I doubt it... Nov 26, 2008

Thanks for the links,
I don't think Trados will develop a Mac version in the near future, I fear the Mac-market is too small for Trados to care.

I recently switched to Mac and I installed Windows and Trados and I use it with Parallels, which works fine. I switched off internet access for Windows just to be on the safe side.

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Mac means less Nov 26, 2008

Yo Alexa,

no use to start a Windows vs Mac flame war here, but I think everyone - pro or anti-mac - will admit that in the macos universe you find less tools. For translations or whatever else.

AND sometimes with compatibility problems.

Some people say that the Mac is still superior for graphics works. For my modest non professional needs (like using Adobe CS3 and hundreds of nifty freeware), I am content with Windows for the moment.

However, s
... See more
Yo Alexa,

no use to start a Windows vs Mac flame war here, but I think everyone - pro or anti-mac - will admit that in the macos universe you find less tools. For translations or whatever else.

AND sometimes with compatibility problems.

Some people say that the Mac is still superior for graphics works. For my modest non professional needs (like using Adobe CS3 and hundreds of nifty freeware), I am content with Windows for the moment.

However, since we are translators here and not designers, I can tell you that chosing a Mac for office work is clearly a lone adventure today.

I have one. I use it for mail.

I don't even try to ask questions like "does this or that exist on Mac?" I know that even if it exists, it is going to be more expensive and with fewer options than the Windows version.

As far as hardware is concerned, since you mention buying a new computer, I know that with the same price, I can buy more efficient and more compatible hardware on PC.

I expect many Mac users will react to my post, but if they are not into graphics, if they do only office suite work, I will find it a bit hard to believe them.

If you had talked about buying a new computer for your personal use, like watching movies, listening to mp3s and chatting and surfing the web, of course I would have recommended the Mac as a decent option.
Collapse

Alexa Dubreuil
Alexa Dubreuil  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:25
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
switching off internet access for Windows Nov 26, 2008

Tim van den Oudenhoven wrote:
I switched off internet access for Windows just to be on the safe side.

Hello Tim
Can you tell me more about this?

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Cost Nov 26, 2008

I recently switched to Mac and I installed Windows and Trados and I use it with Parallels, which works fine.

So you switched to Mac and you work on Windows on your Mac? Can I ask what was the price of that operation?

Anja Weggel
Anja Weggel  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
Wordfast Nov 26, 2008

Dear Alexa,

I recently switched to the Mac with VMWare / Trados option and I am mostly happy with it.
I do not think that there will be a Trados for Mac, the market is too small although it seems to grow so never give up hope

Right now, I am testing the new Wordfast 6.0 Standalone version which is available for Mac and Windows. So far I like it, however, some of it is of course personal preference
... See more
Dear Alexa,

I recently switched to the Mac with VMWare / Trados option and I am mostly happy with it.
I do not think that there will be a Trados for Mac, the market is too small although it seems to grow so never give up hope

Right now, I am testing the new Wordfast 6.0 Standalone version which is available for Mac and Windows. So far I like it, however, some of it is of course personal preference. There is a demo version, so you may want to try it.

Having said that, I will not abandon Trados simply because there are too many customers requesting Trados for work. So depending on your budget of course, you can opt for several solutions. I decided to go for the Mac with VMWare/Trados and I think about getting Wordfast for Mac. To me, that means optimal flexibility and stability. I do agree with Arnaud, for office use, you do not necessarily need a Mac. However, my Mac is much more stabile than any Windows version I ever had, hence I have a lot less trouble with unknown errors, computer crashes, viruses etc. (alternatively, if you are a computer nerd, you may be able to fix all kinds of strange problems in Windows). With VMWare you basically have two computers in one, when VMWare for some reason has problems, you can still switch to Mac (unless it is Trados of course).
I also have the feeling that there are a lot more Mac programs out there than there used to. I guess, Apple is doing some catching up.

Hope any of this helps
Kind regards
Anja
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:25
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Vista is ok Nov 26, 2008

There are no problems with Windows Vista and I cannot see any need for switching to other operating systems. If you run Trados on your Mac you probably have to use a pc-keyboard, so you lose part of the "look and feel" right from start.
Regards
Heinrich

Tim van den Oudenhoven
Tim van den Oudenhoven
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
replies... Nov 26, 2008

Alexa Dubreuil wrote:

Hello Tim

When you use Parallels, you can just switch to your mac internet browser to go online , which is much safer than going online on Windows (and you don't want to pay for antivirus/spyware software for your Windows anyway, because you just bought a mac that doesn't need any such software)
Windows works as a program, you can just drag your files from your mac partition to your Windows environment (if your Windows partition is smaller than 32GB (which is more than enough for Trados and MS Office)), I was surprised that this worked so well. (I do think you want Parallels, because Bootcamp doesn't let you work in both environments)

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

I recently switched to Mac and I installed Windows and Trados and I use it with Parallels, which works fine.

So you switched to Mac and you work on Windows on your Mac? Can I ask what was the price of that operation?

I installed the Windows and Trados versions from my old laptop, so the cost was acceptable. Plus I am also studying photography and a mac just works better for photographic work...

Plus the MacBookPro is pretty, really pretty

I do miss the home/pageup&down keys though...

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Wordfast for Mac is not mature yet Nov 26, 2008

Anja Weggel wrote:

Right now, I am testing the new Wordfast 6.0 Standalone version which is available for Mac and Windows. So far I like it, however, some of it is of course personal preference. There is a demo version, so you may want to try it.

I'm also using Wordfast 6.0, and although the interface is ok, I'm finding too many troubles, and will probably return to Trados.

Among the problems I've found there is the lack of concordance search -a given in Trados- and formatting problems in the final product. There are times when I translate a Word document and it looks perfect in Mac, only to receive a "damaged file, can't open" message when trying to open it in Windows. In graphics-laden documents, there is also the trend to substitute pictures for big squares with red Xs. I don't know it it's Word or Wordfast to blame here.

Besides, when using the main OCR programs for both platforms - FineReader and ReadIris - FineReader is a lot better.

So, it's still Trados and Parallels for me.

[Editado a las 2008-11-26 21:19 GMT]

Yvonne Gerstheimer (X)
Yvonne Gerstheimer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
I use Parallels as well Nov 27, 2008

I had several reasons to switch to a Mac and I have never regretted it. I switched to Mac even before I became a translator (I worked on a Mac even before Mac OS X). Like Tim I use Parallels for Trados (there is no Trados for Mac and I doubt it will ever be on the market) without any problems at all. If this is your main concern, this is a working solution.

Ayman Medarwash
Ayman Medarwash  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Arabic
+ ...
What Windos version? Dec 17, 2008

Alexa Dubreuil wrote:

Hello Tim

When you use Parallels, you can just switch to your mac internet browser to go online , which is much safer than going online on Windows (and you don't want to pay for antivirus/spyware software for your Windows anyway, because you just bought a mac that doesn't need any such software)
Windows works as a program, you can just drag your files from your mac partition to your Windows environment (if your Windows partition is smaller than 32GB (which is more than enough for Trados and MS Office)), I was surprised that this worked so well. (I do think you want Parallels, because Bootcamp doesn't let you work in both environments)

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

I installed the Windows and Trados versions from my old laptop, so the cost was acceptable. Plus I am also studying photography and a mac just works better for photographic work...

Plus the MacBookPro is pretty, really pretty

I do miss the home/pageup&down keys though...

Tim, Thank you for the info.

What you did is really the most practical solution I have reached after so much effort put towards research.

Can you please tell me what windos you had on your Mac using Parallels?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados for Mac?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »