How long does it take to get the result of subtitling test (En>JP) ?
Thread poster: AGardens
AGardens
AGardens
United Kingdom
English to Japanese
Nov 1, 2016

Hello. I took the subtitling tests (JP test, En test and subtitling demo) of the biggest online streaming company at its website about 10 days ago. It says "You have completed the Japanese test. Your test will be reviewed by an administrator and you will be contacted with the results by email shortly". I haven't got any message yet. Does anyone know how long it takes usually? Even though I can't pass, can I receive a decline message? Thank you.

[2016-11-01 15:01 GMTに編集されました]

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 18:47
Estonian to English
+ ...
results Nov 1, 2016

It can take a long time and depends on the actual need for Japanese subtitlers. Even if they are looking for translators, it does not necessarily mean that they actually need them. Netflix is the biggest client and when they have an overcapacity of projects, they look for someone to handle something quickly, so they ask like 100 translation companies for a quote, all of them start looking for Japanese subtitlers. Then maybe 1-2 companies get the work - usually meaning huge amounts over a period ... See more
It can take a long time and depends on the actual need for Japanese subtitlers. Even if they are looking for translators, it does not necessarily mean that they actually need them. Netflix is the biggest client and when they have an overcapacity of projects, they look for someone to handle something quickly, so they ask like 100 translation companies for a quote, all of them start looking for Japanese subtitlers. Then maybe 1-2 companies get the work - usually meaning huge amounts over a period of a few weeks. Then it's over and can be followed by a lull of months or possibly never again if the quality was not good enough (not only translation quality but a myriad of technical factors).
This is what you should expect - not regular work but brief bouts of hectic activity where you are expected to do more than you can handle and super-fast, followed by no work at all for months.
Responding to a test may happen when they see an actual need for work. I think my test was followed by a job offer about two years later.
Collapse

AGardens
AGardens
United Kingdom
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 1, 2016

Thank you, jbjb. It helps a lot. Now I understand how it works and that I should move on without waiting for the response for the time being.

Ayano Murofushi-Arno
Ayano Murofushi-Arno  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:47
English to Japanese
A few weeks Nov 1, 2016

I took their test earlier this year and got my result after a few weeks.
Hope this helps!

AGardens
AGardens
United Kingdom
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ayano! Nov 1, 2016

Good to know a Japanese translator have received the result from them. I will wait patiently. Thank you so much.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long does it take to get the result of subtitling test (En>JP) ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »