Lenka
Lenka
United States
Local time: 15:48
English to Czech
+ ...
Jan 18, 2004

Hello everyone,

If anyone has blank subtitling translation tests from the subtitling companies, would you mind forwarding them to me?
I would really appreciate it. I am trying to train myself as a subtitler.

Thank you very much,

Lenka

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Hi Lenka Jan 18, 2004

I don't have any subtitling tests, but was wondering if you (or anyone else out there) could tell me how to go about becoming a subtitler. It's something I have always been interested in doing, but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing it - are there exams/courses to take? Any helo would be greatly appreciated - and good luck Lenka with findint those tests!

Best wishes,

Paul

Lenka
Lenka
United States
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitling tranlation test Jan 18, 2004

Hi Paul,

If you are in London, you can attend a \"Subtitling conference\" there which takes place between 6.-7. February, I believe. Check www.surrey.ac.uk/LIS/CTS/insomanywords.htm. Also, under my name is another posting called \"Subtitling\" where you can find some very useful links.

Good luck!

Lenka

Paul Lambert wrote:

I don\'t have any subtitling tests, but was wondering if you (or anyone else out there) could tell me how to go about becoming a subtitler. It\'s something I have always been interested in doing, but I\'m not quite sure how to go about doing it - are there exams/courses to take? Any helo would be greatly appreciated - and good luck Lenka with findint those tests!

Best wishes,

Paul

yam2u
yam2u  Identity Verified
United States
English to Malay
+ ...
Subtitling translation tests Jan 19, 2004

Lenka Ulrichova wrote:
If anyone has blank subtitling translation tests from the subtitling companies, would you mind forwarding them to me?

Hi Lenka,

I have an old test but I can only find the text-strings file and not the accompanying visuals for the relevant scenes. either I've deleted its mpg file or I was sent a cd for that test which I've since misplaced or written-over. Subtitling of course can't truly be done with justice without the assistance of visuals. However the scenes were those of a well-known movie. I'm sure the title is carried by Blockbuster, Netflix or any other video/dvd rentals. Email me if you think what I have might work for you and I'll send the file over.

-may-

Lenka
Lenka
United States
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitling translation tests Jan 19, 2004

Oh, anything would be helpful! Please, do send it. I was surprised to read what you had to say on this. I was sent a translation test for subtitling by this company (consisting of a documentary, interview and lots of idioms, puns etc.) , but the script was not accompanied by ANY visuals. I did not find it too difficult to translate, althought had I known the "whole story," I guess it would have helped - for sadly, I did not get the job... See more
Oh, anything would be helpful! Please, do send it. I was surprised to read what you had to say on this. I was sent a translation test for subtitling by this company (consisting of a documentary, interview and lots of idioms, puns etc.) , but the script was not accompanied by ANY visuals. I did not find it too difficult to translate, althought had I known the "whole story," I guess it would have helped - for sadly, I did not get the job. I am now trying to find other tests, try again and consult it with people that are professionals in this field, as I would like to find out what might have gone wrong.

Thank you again,

Lenka

yam2u wrote:

Lenka Ulrichova wrote:

Hi Lenka,

I have an old test but I can only find the text-strings file and not the accompanying visuals for the relevant scenes. either I've deleted its mpg file or I was sent a cd for that test which I've since misplaced or written-over. Subtitling of course can't truly be done with justice without the assistance of visuals. However the scenes were those of a well-known movie. I'm sure the title is carried by Blockbuster, Netflix or any other video/dvd rentals. Email me if you think what I have might work for you and I'll send the file over.

-may-
Collapse

Heisus
Heisus
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:48
English to German
You could do a subtitling course, which cost about £500. The next one starts in April I believe... Feb 26, 2004

Paul Lambert wrote:

I don't have any subtitling tests, but was wondering if you (or anyone else out there) could tell me how to go about becoming a subtitler. It's something I have always been interested in doing, but I'm not quite sure how to go about doing it - are there exams/courses to take? Any helo would be greatly appreciated - and good luck Lenka with findint those tests!

Best wishes,

Paul

Abdelazim Abdelazim
Abdelazim Abdelazim  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:48
English to Arabic
+ ...
I Wonder ! Feb 27, 2004

Hello All,

I wonder if you are still in need of subtitling tests . I have a big one.

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,
ATN/ATPS Certified Translator,
Sun Certified Programmer,
http://www.nour.co.nr/

[Edited at 2006-03-07 13:36]

Lenka
Lenka
United States
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitling test Feb 27, 2004

Hi,

I would be very grateful if you could send it to me:).

Thank you,

Lenka

Abdelazim Abdelazim wrote:

Hello All,

Sincerely,
Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,
www.accuracy.rules.it[/quote]

Abdelazim Abdelazim
Abdelazim Abdelazim  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Well ! Feb 28, 2004

Hi Lenka,

In my first email to them, I mentioned no previous subtitling experience, but they sent the test with guidelines on how to translate it. It's as if they said
"Well, we know you'r NOT a subtitler but we reviewed your profile and found that you ARE a good translator-victim!!"

By the way, I passed a recent subtitling test successfully sent to me by a respectable, yet pays-very-low-rates
agency. It pays $2 per programming minute. Do you think it's OK a
... See more
Hi Lenka,

In my first email to them, I mentioned no previous subtitling experience, but they sent the test with guidelines on how to translate it. It's as if they said
"Well, we know you'r NOT a subtitler but we reviewed your profile and found that you ARE a good translator-victim!!"

By the way, I passed a recent subtitling test successfully sent to me by a respectable, yet pays-very-low-rates
agency. It pays $2 per programming minute. Do you think it's OK as they proudly affirm?

If you want this test sent to you, You can send your payment ($30) to my ordinary address

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,

Lenka Ulrichova wrote:

Hi,

Thank you,

Lenka

Hello All,

Regards,

Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,

[Edited at 2006-03-07 13:37]
Collapse

Lenka
Lenka
United States
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Subtitling test Mar 2, 2004

Will you please send me the test or you wanted me to send you the 30 dollars first:)?

Best,

Lenka

Hi Lenka,

agency. It pays $2 per programming minute. Do you think it's OK as they proudly affirm?

If you want this test sent to you, You can send your payment ($30) to my ordinary address

Sincerely,
Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,
www.accuracy.rules.it

Lenka Ulrichova wrote:

Hi,

Thank you,

Lenka

Hello All,

Sincerely,
Abdelazim R. Abdelazim,
Arabic / English, BA,
www.accuracy.rules.it[/quote][/quote][/quote]

darting arrow
darting arrow
English to French
+ ...
I'm quite surprised Jan 12, 2006

Hi guys

I'm quite surprised you ask $30 for a test. The request is from somebody who needs help and hints from professionals, not a business matter...

I'm quite surprised, and wouldn't ask for your help, eventhough I may need it too...

Cheers

Lilyrose

Joanna Borowska
Joanna Borowska  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
a joke? Jan 24, 2006

LilyRose, I think the $30 payment was just a joke, otherwise I would be quite surprised, too. Anyway, if you need subtitling tests, I'll be happy to help you - free of charge

Joanna

XENA10

trufflejus
trufflejus  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:48
Spanish to English
+ ...
test Feb 14, 2006

Joanna Borowska wrote:

LilyRose, I think the $30 payment was just a joke, otherwise I would be quite surprised, too. Anyway, if you need subtitling tests, I'll be happy to help you - free of charge

Joanna

I would be interested in seeing a test if someone could send it to me!

Imad Almaghary (X)
Imad Almaghary (X)
Local time: 01:48
English to Arabic
+ ...
i was sent a subtitling test and it is an ordinary dialogue from a film and there was no visual CD. Feb 14, 2006

Good morning Lenka

i was sent a subtitling test and it is an ordinary dialogue from a film and there was no visual CD. I deleted the file long time ago and I do not remember the company URL. It is something easy. Go ahead and never get worried about it. I do not agree about that 30 payment although it might be a joke. We are here not for jokes. help is our top level priority.

To be able to pass any test get intensive training on listening and reading. I tried this prac
... See more
Good morning Lenka

i was sent a subtitling test and it is an ordinary dialogue from a film and there was no visual CD. I deleted the file long time ago and I do not remember the company URL. It is something easy. Go ahead and never get worried about it. I do not agree about that 30 payment although it might be a joke. We are here not for jokes. help is our top level priority.

To be able to pass any test get intensive training on listening and reading. I tried this practice and it works well. Try it.

Thanks.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling translation tests

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »