Thread poster: Knut Atle Klausen
Knut Atle Klausen
Knut Atle Klausen
Denmark
Local time: 16:10
English to Norwegian
+ ...
May 26, 2017

It seems to me that not restoring ghost tags is not a problem for the finished document. Is this wrong og is it maybe correct for some tags and not for others? I am using SDL Trados 2017.

Guillermo Mendez

Arnd Rothe
Arnd Rothe
France
English to German
+ ...
I would say yes Dec 29, 2017

I was just asking myself the same question. I tried this on an xml file. The ghost tag that was correctly placed in Trados is also correctly placed in the target file after translation and looks exactly like the one in the source file. I don't know if there are other circumstances where a ghost tag could cause trouble but here it worked.

Guillermo Mendez

Guillermo Mendez
Guillermo Mendez
Spain
English to Spanish
I was wondering the same thing Oct 13, 2019

What's the use, then to have to confirm the second tag? Or, in other words, what's the use of Trados generating "un-paired" tags when you insert them, as a standard method of work? Looks easier if they where born "paired"...

NeoAtlas
NeoAtlas
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's a feature Oct 14, 2019

Guillermo Mendez wrote:
What's the use, then to have to confirm the second tag?

I guess it's a nice feature: If you delete one of the tags of a pair tag, Trados Studio will notify that (grayed-out and in the Messages window), giving you the chance can restore the deleted tag. If you don't restore it, the ghost tag will work anyway exactly in the same position it was deleted.

Guillermo Mendez wrote:
what's the use of Trados generating "un-paired" tags when you insert them

Not sure if I understand, but as far as I know, Trados Studio always inserts pair tags in pairs. The only exception is CTRL+comma when there is no text selected in target, which makes sense to me anyway. Is this what you mean?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why restore ghost tags?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »