cristina orriols  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:24
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 10, 2017

Hi everyone,

I am translating a term where italics are needed in the target but not in the source. There are no tags to copy and in the "format" section the italics cannot be selected. I tried to copy and paste from Word but it doesn't work. I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Cristina

Toon Theuwis (X)
Toon Theuwis (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Insert "No Italics" Feb 10, 2017

Go to the Home tab > quick insert (arrow on the right) > No italics.

This will force the italics off.

cristina orriols
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Need italics "on" Feb 10, 2017

Hi Toon,

Thanks for your quick reply. But I need the italics ON. I have been to Home, Quick Insert and don't see anything related to italics. Could you please explain a bit more? Thanks a lot!

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:24
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
What file type? Feb 10, 2017

This might be related to the file type you are working with?
https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/f/90/t/6852

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:24
French to English
+ ...
Word shortcut Control + i Feb 10, 2017

Hi Cristina,

Does the usual word shortcut (Crtl + I) not work? It works in Studio 2017 and I'm pretty sure it used to work in 2015. Just make sure you do it retrospectively so it's only on those words you want to italicise - you can't reverse it by pressing the Ctrl shortcut again as you can in Word - although you could clear the formatting via the ribbon, I suppose.

HTH,

Claire

cristina orriols
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ttx Feb 10, 2017

Thank you Lianne and Claire, Ctl+I doesn't work, I'm afraid what Lianne suggests applies to my case..it is a ttx file. Good to know, though..

Toon Theuwis (X)
Toon Theuwis (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Misunderstood Feb 11, 2017

Hi, sorry for misunderstanding your question, as in my language pair the opposite usually applies.

I think (but I am not sure) it has something to so with the "file type" settings. I'm guessing it does not support italics properly. Or Trados Studio thinks so at least and therefore does not allow you to add italics.

cristina orriols
Spain
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 12, 2017

Hi Toon, I think that is the case, but thanks anyway. At least it is worth knowing...

margatrans
margatrans
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same problem. Is it because of the Stater version? Jul 23, 2017

Hi all,

I have the exact same problem as Cristina. I have the SDL Trados Studio 2015 Starter version, do you know if the issue may be the limitations of the Starter version? I have experienced this problem with different files.

Cristina, did you find any solution?

Thanks,
Marga

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italics in TRADOS 2015

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »