Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Multiterm 2014, Termbase (default): Added terms disappear when application closes.
Thread poster: Yoko Busk
Javier Fain
Javier Fain
Argentina
Local time: 23:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Did anyone find a turnaround for this? Jan 8, 2016

After one year after the last comment on this thread, I've been just faced with the same situation: the terms of my TermBase created on Multiterm have all disappeared. However, this is not it: I've tried to create it again from scratch, with any success. The terms are not even imported.

Does anyone have a resolution for this?

I'm so disappointed... I can't understand that by year 2016, we are dealing with these bugs of primary school....

Nicholas Basily
Nicholas Basily
Argentina
Local time: 23:01
Spanish to English
Studio 2014 doesn't update TermBase entries Jan 23, 2016

I've been experiencing this same problem, namely, terminology edited or added to TermBase FROM WITHIN Trados Studio 2014 appear in the list and are usable throughout the current Studio session, but fail to update into TermBase itself (and Studio too) AFTER closing the Studio session. The weird thing noted by other users and myself is that it does NOT ALWAYS happen.

Over the last few weeks I've been keeping a separate record of all the terms I add to TermBase FROM WITHIN Studio 2014,
... See more
I've been experiencing this same problem, namely, terminology edited or added to TermBase FROM WITHIN Trados Studio 2014 appear in the list and are usable throughout the current Studio session, but fail to update into TermBase itself (and Studio too) AFTER closing the Studio session. The weird thing noted by other users and myself is that it does NOT ALWAYS happen.

Over the last few weeks I've been keeping a separate record of all the terms I add to TermBase FROM WITHIN Studio 2014, and check after the session to see whether they actually have been added or not. Strangely -- amazingly I'd say -- the new terms seem to update into TermBase (apparently) if and only if:

1. I DON'T open the TermBase application during the session;

2. I close the current project's editing window (pretty obvious) and Close Studio from the File menu - Exit. (I haven't experimented that much, but it appears that closing from the red X button in the top right-hand corner of the application window doesn't achieve this).

3. I wait some time, or even shut down the computer, before opening TermBase and checking.

Following this procedure I don't remember having lost any terms over the last few weeks. Still, I must say it all sounds more covertly supernatural than overtly technical. I also notice there's been no further comment from Paul at SDL Support on this topic since around September 2014.

Will this problem ever be resolved or will it forever remain in the realm of the unexplained?!

All further comments welcome!

Cheers, Nicholas

[Edited at 2016-01-23 15:47 GMT]
Collapse

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:01
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Think I've found the cause Mar 1, 2016

I've not noticed this problem for ages and assumed it had been fixed in Studio 2015, but over the last few days it seemed to have come back again so I've been looking for solutions, and I think I've found what causes it.

I found it interesting that a previous poster seemed to note it happening when they closed Studio using the X button in the top right hand corner rather than by exiting the project first, so I did a little experimentation.

This is, as far as I can see,
... See more
I've not noticed this problem for ages and assumed it had been fixed in Studio 2015, but over the last few days it seemed to have come back again so I've been looking for solutions, and I think I've found what causes it.

I found it interesting that a previous poster seemed to note it happening when they closed Studio using the X button in the top right hand corner rather than by exiting the project first, so I did a little experimentation.

This is, as far as I can see, how to replicate it:

Add terms to the termbase while working in Studio. When exiting Studio, don't first save the file; simply click on the X button in the top right hand corner. Studio will, naturally, ask you if you want to save the file. You say Yes, of course, and it does indeed save the file - but not the termbase!!!

Conversely, if you want to avoid this, even a simple Ctrl-S to save the file before clicking on the X button in the top right hand corner will also make sure that your termbase is saved.

Needless to say I'll pass this on to SDL (in case you're not still following this thread, Paul!)
Collapse

Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:01
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
The above solution doesn't make any difference for me. Mar 2, 2016

I frequently have this same problem, and I always save within Studio before closing it.

None of the other possible solutions mentioned in this thread have made any difference, either. Sometimes the terms are saved, and sometimes they're not. Very frustrating to pay hundreds of euros for a program that still has all these weird bugs, some of which have evidently been known and yet not fixed for years...

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since a day
Bruno Depascale
Bruno Depascale  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
What a flowery software! Mar 6, 2016

multiterm is simply a "flowery*" software!

I was working on a long translation.
Had added about 200 new terms to multiterm from Studio
However, the terms I added in studio simply didn't appear in
multiterm desktop. So I decided to remove the termbase from
the current project and export it. Result? I lost all my work.
Thank you again to this "flowery*" software.
Is somebody gonna refund me for the time lost? (it's about
200 $ than
... See more
multiterm is simply a "flowery*" software!

I was working on a long translation.
Had added about 200 new terms to multiterm from Studio
However, the terms I added in studio simply didn't appear in
multiterm desktop. So I decided to remove the termbase from
the current project and export it. Result? I lost all my work.
Thank you again to this "flowery*" software.
Is somebody gonna refund me for the time lost? (it's about
200 $ thank you).
I simply hate this flowery* software.

*I have replaced the offensive terms with the term "flowery". You can replace "flowery" with a term of your choice
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Not a good idea too leave programs running for so long Mar 6, 2016

Yoko Busk wrote:

... I left the application open for several days. ....

I know this is not giving a solution for your issue, but from a pure technical point of view, I would not recommend to leave applications running over several days.

There are several reasons for this, such as memory management, temporary files that might get deleted, temporary files that may not get saved, etc. etc.

Walter

Alex Lilo
Alex Lilo
Local time: 04:01
English to Russian
+ ...
Please see Jun 12, 2016

https://community.sdl.com/products-solutions/solutions/customer_experience_cloud/language/translationproductivity/f/91/t/5801

TylerSchmidt (X)
TylerSchmidt (X)
Local time: 11:01
Japanese to English
Me too Jul 6, 2016

Hi everyone,

This problem is alive and well.

I'm using Studio 2014 sp2 on Windows 7.

The problem goes like this:

I enter new terms from the studio editor using the quick add new term command.

They appear just fine until I save and close studio. Once I do so, however, about 20% of the time all of the terms I added up to a certain point in time are gone. For example, I worked 9:30 to 19:00 and only the terms before 10:34 were saved.<
... See more
Hi everyone,

They appear just fine until I save and close studio. Once I do so, however, about 20% of the time all of the terms I added up to a certain point in time are gone. For example, I worked 9:30 to 19:00 and only the terms before 10:34 were saved.

It was on a network drive so I'll try keeping it on my local disk. I'm also going to try periodically using the reorganize function in termbase.

I'm honestly shocked at how buggy and poor quality trados is considering how much they are charging for it. My company foots the bill and not me but I feel like billing SDL for the hours of my time their software wasted.
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
a turnaround Jul 6, 2016

TylerSchmidt wrote:

Hi everyone,

They appear just fine until I save and close studio. Once I do so, however, about 20% of the time all of the terms I added up to a certain point in time are gone. For example, I worked 9:30 to 19:00 and only the terms before 10:34 were saved.

It was on a network drive so I'll try keeping it on my local disk. I'm also going to try periodically using the reorganize function in termbase.

I'm honestly shocked at how buggy and poor quality trados is considering how much they are charging for it. My company foots the bill and not me but I feel like billing SDL for the hours of my time their software wasted.

Hi Tyler,
I found a partial solution for this:
I don't add terms from the studio interface, but I insert the terms directly in multiterm.
I've been using this approach for some months and no terms have disappeared so far.
I think this is the only solution, because Trados isn't a reliable software.
Also during translation, I press the save button many times because I know that this software frequently crashes and loses the work done.

TylerSchmidt (X)
TylerSchmidt (X)
Local time: 11:01
Japanese to English
Thanks! Jul 20, 2016

Hi Bruno,

Thanks very much for your reply!!

Despite the frustration I was having with it the day I posted, I do think Trados is very useful and I found the following method of "coping" with this issue.

I keep the SDLTB (multiterm) file I am updating in Studio open in MultiTerm, and periodically click "reorganize." If it comes back saying the file is currently locked, I close studio and multiterm and when I reopen it, it usually updates just fine. It's a pai
... See more
Hi Bruno,

Thanks very much for your reply!!

Despite the frustration I was having with it the day I posted, I do think Trados is very useful and I found the following method of "coping" with this issue.

I keep the SDLTB (multiterm) file I am updating in Studio open in MultiTerm, and periodically click "reorganize." If it comes back saying the file is currently locked, I close studio and multiterm and when I reopen it, it usually updates just fine. It's a pain to have to keep reorganizing the file in multiterm but it has been a consistent solution to this issue.

Hope it helps for anyone else encountering the problem!

Tyler
Collapse

Catarina Lopes
Catarina Lopes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same problem with Multiterm 2015 Sep 23, 2016

Hi everyone,

The same problem has just happened to me with Studio 2015. After creating a glossary for a new project that I've been working on for the past 4 days, I realise now that all the terms, but two, have disappeared from the term base.

Despite the solutions offered in this post, which I will use, my term base is empty. So, I'm not a happy Studio user right now...

Catarina

Akke Wagenaar
Akke Wagenaar  Identity Verified
Dutch
+ ...
Same problem here, lost hundreds of hours of work Nov 9, 2016

I work with Studio 2014 SP2, it's November 9 2016 and I still have the same problem, for many years.
I always notice that the next day many terms I had entered yesterday are not there and I reenter them again, from Studio. When I enter them the second time, they usually stay.
I think I have done double work this way worth more than $1000. In other words, it's a business loss of about $1000 per year.

Akke Wagenaar
Akke Wagenaar  Identity Verified
Dutch
+ ...
Important update: solution for lost terms when adding terms in Studio Nov 9, 2016

I think I found the reason for this problem. In Studio, when in the Editor, when you add terms to an attached termbase, all 5 files of that termbase are updated as you add terms (.sdltb, target .mdf, target .mtf, source .mdf, source .mtf) BUT NOT the .ldb file.
This .ldb file is created each time you open your Editor in Studio with the termbase attached. Every time you now add a term, the 5 files are updated (you can see their time stamps changing) BUT NOT the .ldb file.
And then, wh
... See more
I think I found the reason for this problem. In Studio, when in the Editor, when you add terms to an attached termbase, all 5 files of that termbase are updated as you add terms (.sdltb, target .mdf, target .mtf, source .mdf, source .mtf) BUT NOT the .ldb file.
This .ldb file is created each time you open your Editor in Studio with the termbase attached. Every time you now add a term, the 5 files are updated (you can see their time stamps changing) BUT NOT the .ldb file.
And then, when you close Studio, the .ldb file has the UNCHANGED time stamp and all entries created AFTER the time of that stamp are lost.

The workaround is: before you close Studio after a day of work, open the same termbase in Multiterm. Then close Multiterm. You will see that the time stamp of the .ldb file has changed to the current time, which is the time you exited Multiterm. Now you can close Studio in any way you want. Notice that the .ldb file gets removed. That doesn't matter, your termbase is totally there.

Next time when you open Studio and the Editor with the attached termbase, you will see ALL your terms are there, including the term you LAST added before closing Studio. The .ldb file got the time stamp of the time you opened the editor, the other 5 files get updated while you add terms.

To save the termbase again before closing Studio or as a security measure several times a day, just open it in Multiterm and close Multiterm again.

Last but not least: maybe SDL can now fix this bug?
Collapse

Bruno Depascale
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
SDL should now act Nov 9, 2016

Akke Wagenaar wrote:

And then, when you close Studio, the .ldb file has the UNCHANGED time stamp and all entries created AFTER the time of that stamp are lost.

The workaround is: before you close Studio after a day of work, open the same termbase in Multiterm. Then close Multiterm. You will see that the time stamp of the .ldb file has changed to the current time, which is the time you exited Multiterm. Now you can close Studio in any way you want. Notice that the .ldb file gets removed. That doesn't matter, your termbase is totally there.

Next time when you open Studio and the Editor with the attached termbase, you will see ALL your terms are there, including the term you LAST added before closing Studio. The .ldb file got the time stamp of the time you opened the editor, the other 5 files get updated while you add terms.

To save the termbase again before closing Studio or as a security measure several times a day, just open it in Multiterm and close Multiterm again.

Last but not least: maybe SDL can now fix this bug?

Thank you Akke,
now I suppose SDL has no more excuses for this problem. You have clearly pointed out where the problem lies.
I think they SDL should really work hard to fix this serious issue, since we paid a lot of money for this software (which is the most expensive on the market) and it is supposed to increase productivity, not frustration.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 2014, Termbase (default): Added terms disappear when application closes.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »