Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Studio 2009 error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Thread poster: Diana Beez (X)
Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 07:50
English to Portuguese
When things get to that, I uninstall/reinstall Office AND Trados... Apr 26, 2010

Hello

When things get to that point (seldom did), I do that:

- uninstall MS Office;

- RETURN THE LICENSE (most important...)

- uninstall all things SDL via Control Panel, then I uninstall all "leftovers" (config files left at Doc&Settings etc.);

- reinstall MS Office;

- go to Windows Update and apply all patches and updates (not only the security-related
... See more
Hello

When things get to that point (seldom did), I do that:

- uninstall MS Office;

- RETURN THE LICENSE (most important...)

- uninstall all things SDL via Control Panel, then I uninstall all "leftovers" (config files left at Doc&Settings etc.);

- reinstall MS Office;

- go to Windows Update and apply all patches and updates (not only the security-related, but for Dot Net Framework etc.);

- reinstall Trados, register it.

Always worked for me, but "mileage varies", you know...

Cheers

Edric
Collapse

Richard Yates
Richard Yates  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:50
Member (2011)
German to English
Thanks for this invaluable forum - solution found Sep 28, 2010

Studio2009 was refusing to start up so I tried the solution provided by Paul here. It worked. Thanks Proz.com for keeping these posts in the archive.

Still somewhat dubious about Studio after a year. Does it really speed things up? Not for me.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:50
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Preview doesn't work - same error messages, deleting xml files doesn't help Oct 7, 2010

I'm experiencing the same problem as the OP. Preview for a doc file doesn't work (Studio SP3), I get the error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-07 07:38 GMT]

I found a solution May 26, 2011

For the past couple of weeks I have been trying to solve a problem I faced when I tried to generate a target translation of an Excel file. It was a huge and urgent translation, but I ran into a lot of trouble because I couldn't deliver it in time due to the error message ("Object reference...."). I spent days trying to contact SDL and get tech support and when I finally contacted someone, I've been given a bunch of advice (reinstall Trados & Office, delete the three files etc...), but nothing ha... See more
For the past couple of weeks I have been trying to solve a problem I faced when I tried to generate a target translation of an Excel file. It was a huge and urgent translation, but I ran into a lot of trouble because I couldn't deliver it in time due to the error message ("Object reference...."). I spent days trying to contact SDL and get tech support and when I finally contacted someone, I've been given a bunch of advice (reinstall Trados & Office, delete the three files etc...), but nothing has worked so far. I also had another problem as I wasn't able to open older Excel (.xls) files at all "because I didn't have Office 2003 or XP", even though older Word (.doc instead of .docx) and other files worked just fine in Trados.

Anyway, long story short... Today I tried to open the .xlsx file under a different project and it worked. So if anyone is having similar problems when generating target translations, you might want to try this trick first. Now I'm also able to open .xls files with Trados again.

What a mess.

lauracores wrote:

I am running Trados Studio 2009 SP2.
When I try to generate the translated (or clean) document, the same message appears.
I have deleted the above mentioned files, but it didn't work.
What can I do?
help, please!!
Collapse

Ec Linguistic Solutions
Ec Linguistic Solutions
United States
Local time: 06:50
Albanian to English
+ ...
urgent need to fix it Jun 22, 2011

Hilde Granlund wrote:

I suddenly cannot open Trados Studio at all, and of course I have a half-finished huge job!
I get the aforementioned error message, and the whole thing won't start.
I run Windows Vista, and have automatic upgrades on, so I think I have all the latest service packs.

As I am going through your messages, I tried several ways of fixing it but it is impossible to find a solution. I do not have those xml.files mentioned above and I can't open the studio at all.

Is there any other option?

Thnx,

Elda

Show hidden files? Jun 25, 2011

Elda CENALIA wrote:

As I am going through your messages, I tried several ways of fixing it but it is impossible to find a solution. I do not have those xml.files mentioned above and I can't open the studio at all.

Is there any other option?

Thnx,

Elda

Hi Elda,
I'm not sure if I this will help you at all, but I'll try anyway.

You said you don't have those xml files. Make sure that you have checked the "Show hidden files, folder and drives" box. Tools - folder options - view. This way you should be able to find the files. (See previous page for the correct path C:\Users....)

If that doesn't work, I would also try to reinstall Trados from the scratch.

Gerhard Kohl (X)
Gerhard Kohl (X)
Finland
Local time: 13:50
Finnish to German
+ ...
Do you find any solution Aug 25, 2011

efreitag wrote:

I'm experiencing the same problem as the OP. Preview for a doc file doesn't work (Studio SP3), I get the error message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-07 07:38 GMT]

I,m struggling with the same problem. Did you sove the problem? How?

Gerhard

Luc morvan
Luc morvan  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to French
WIN 7 solution MT 8.1.1264 Feb 4, 2012

WIN 7 solution for MT 8.1.1264

follow the path:

C users [your current username] AppData Roaming SDL SDL MULTITERM 8.1.0.0 UserProfiles

and remove the xml files :

BaseSettings
BaseSettings.xml.bak
plugincache
UserSettings
UserSettings.xml.bak

luc

Marilena Berca
Marilena Berca  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same problem with Trados 2011 Mar 6, 2012

I have recently bought SDL Trados 2011 and it was the first time I used this version. My client sent me a .ttx file, I translated it and in the end I tried saving it as a .ttx, but I got this error message and I could not deliver my translation on time (needless to say that my client wasn't happy about it). I lost a lot of time trying to find a solution, but nothing worked for me, including the things suggested on this thread.

I have Windows 7, Pack 1, 64 bits.

I finall
... See more
I have recently bought SDL Trados 2011 and it was the first time I used this version. My client sent me a .ttx file, I translated it and in the end I tried saving it as a .ttx, but I got this error message and I could not deliver my translation on time (needless to say that my client wasn't happy about it). I lost a lot of time trying to find a solution, but nothing worked for me, including the things suggested on this thread.

I have Windows 7, Pack 1, 64 bits.

I finally downloaded a software that converted the .sdlxliff to .ttx and I was able to deliver the translation. But anyway, this is not a solution for me, I hope somebody from SDL could help me because I can't risk losing my clients like this.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Happy to check the file... Mar 7, 2012

... if you can share it?

If you can drop me an email at [email protected]

Regards

Paul

Anne-Laure Martin
Anne-Laure Martin  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Same problem with 2009 Mar 7, 2012

Good morning,

I am also experiencing the same problems with 2009. Last time I deleted the relevant files and the program started up again.

One week after, the same message appears again and now I am afraid of using trados, knowing that it can stop working at any moment, shut down my computer and lose all the data that has not been properly saved.

Does anyone has more solutions for this ?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A little more information Mar 7, 2012

Hello Anne-Laure,

There are quite a few things being discussed in this thread and I'm not really sure what your situation is. Can you tell me what you are doing when the error appears and what the error actually is?

Also good to know what version of Studio 2009 you are using. The latest version is SDL Trados Studio SP3 9.1.2307.8

Thanks

Paul

Anne-Laure Martin
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Object reference not set to an instance of an object Mar 12, 2012

Hi,

Thanks for answering.

First, I had this error message a few times : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I did nothing and one time, during a job on trados 2009, my computer shut down and lost all the data not saved. I restarted the machine, looked for a solution over the forum and deleted the files (plugin cache 9.1.0.0) and all went back to normal, including the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" message.
<
... See more
Hi,

Thanks for answering.

First, I had this error message a few times : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I did nothing and one time, during a job on trados 2009, my computer shut down and lost all the data not saved. I restarted the machine, looked for a solution over the forum and deleted the files (plugin cache 9.1.0.0) and all went back to normal, including the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" message.

I checked and I have the latest version (the one you mentionned) of the software.

I am now afraid that it comes back and shut down my computer again, so I am looking for another and more sustainable solution than the simple deletion of these files, that seem to solve the problem but not on a long term basis.

thanks again,
AL
Collapse

Anne-Laure Martin
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
new error message Mar 15, 2012

Now I had a new error message, asking if the file C/User/Me/Appdata/RoamingSDL/SDLMultiTerm/8.5.0.0/plugincache.xml is correct or not. I deleted it and a new one has been created.

I would like to have more information about these issues if possible.

Thank you.

Charlotte Milstein
Charlotte Milstein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2020)
German to English
Paul's worked for me! May 8, 2012

Even two years after the post Paul's first post about deleting the xml files worked for me. After installing Trados 2011, I got this error with the first file I tried to open. It wouldn't let me save it either. I panicked, I googled, I found this post. So thanks Paul!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »