Arthur Godinho  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:46
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 3, 2009

On Studio 2009:

A client has sent me a .TXT file for a project.
I have created a new TM; however I am unable to import the TXT file into the new TM.
The wizard does run through the process but at the end it states '0 imports, 0 errors', etc...

TXT File Header:

TWBExportFile version="7.0" generator="TW4Win" build="8.0.0.822"
RTF Preamble
FontTable

When I first purchased 2009, I had no problems importing the TXT files from
... See more
On Studio 2009:

A client has sent me a .TXT file for a project.
I have created a new TM; however I am unable to import the TXT file into the new TM.
The wizard does run through the process but at the end it states '0 imports, 0 errors', etc...

TXT File Header:

TWBExportFile version="7.0" generator="TW4Win" build="8.0.0.822"
RTF Preamble
FontTable

When I first purchased 2009, I had no problems importing the TXT files from my old 2007 TMs...

Any ideas?

Thanks to all!!

[Edited at 2009-12-03 16:24 GMT]
Collapse

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:46
English to German
+ ...
Two Things Dec 3, 2009

Hi Arthur,

you will have to differentiate between two things:
1. Upgrading TMs
2. Importing into SDLTM

1. When you installed Studio '09, you were asked to upgrade your existing translation memories, so you could leverage your intellectual property.
2. Studio '09 has no option to import TXT files. You will have to open Suite '07's Workbench,
... See more
Hi Arthur,

you will have to differentiate between two things:
1. Upgrading TMs
2. Importing into SDLTM

1. When you installed Studio '09, you were asked to upgrade your existing translation memories, so you could leverage your intellectual property.
2. Studio '09 has no option to import TXT files. You will have to open Suite '07's Workbench, create a memory from scratch, import the TXT file, export the memory to TMX. Then, import this TMX file in Studio '09.

Hope this helps.

Carsten

[Edited at 2009-12-03 20:22 GMT]
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Import into Workbench, then upgrade Dec 3, 2009

That should be all.

Arthur Godinho
Arthur Godinho  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:46
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Carsten & Stanislav! Dec 3, 2009

Yes, that does sound right.
I guess there's no way around it, I'll have to reinstall 2007!

Thanks a lot to both! :-)

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
There are ways and means Dec 3, 2009

Arthur Godinho wrote:

Yes, that does sound right.
I guess there's no way around it, I'll have to reinstall 2007!

Thanks a lot to both! :-)

If you don't want to install Trados 2007 again, there are a few things you could do. If you know you won't need Trados 2007 for anything else, I'd suggest avoiding the installation. I'm not saying it will mess up your Studio install because I have no information that it could do that, but knowing SDL's history, only God knows what can of worms you may open.

Installing the free xbench is one option. Just install, open the txt with it and export it to TMX. It really is a great little tool for QA and terminology research anyway, and it handles a really impressive variety of TM and glossary formats.
You could use other conversion/CAT tools as well if you have any, and you could even convert the txt to a TMX with search and replace commands if you're savvy enough for that.
Or you could ask someone with the software/skills to do it for you. I wouldn't mind running it through Xbench for you.

fpamplona
fpamplona  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same problem Apr 22, 2010

Dear friends,

I am experiencing the same problem, cannot import a translation memory (.txt) into my Trados2009. Would somebody help me on how to convert it into one acceptable format WITHOUT using Trados 7?
- I followed the idea of using the XBench, but the only XBench program I´d found, had nothing to do with file conversion !?! strange.
Who could help me? Thanks a lot.

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Upgrade in 2009 Apr 22, 2010

Hi fpamplona,

If you have SDL Trados 2009 SP2 then you can use the Tools-Upgrade TM option to upgrade a txt TM.

Regards

Paul

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Google-fu weak? Apr 22, 2010

fpamplona wrote:

Dear friends,

I am experiencing the same problem, cannot import a translation memory (.txt) into my Trados2009. Would somebody help me on how to convert it into one acceptable format WITHOUT using Trados 7?
- I followed the idea of using the XBench, but the only XBench program I´d found, had nothing to do with file conversion !?! strange.
Who could help me? Thanks a lot.

http://www.apsic.com/en/downloads.aspx

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:46
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
what about a simple *tmx?? Apr 23, 2010

Hello Arthur,

why not asking the client for a *tmx (1.4b, available in older versions) export instead of mixing tools? This format won't need the TM creation step under Suite 2007

FarkasAndras,

not de-installing Suite 2007 before installing Studio 2009 is the best way to go (for now)

There are no technical issues at all between the two versions and my Suite 2007 version is as fast as ever. At the very beginning (before SP1), I have experience
... See more
Hello Arthur,

why not asking the client for a *tmx (1.4b, available in older versions) export instead of mixing tools? This format won't need the TM creation step under Suite 2007

FarkasAndras,

not de-installing Suite 2007 before installing Studio 2009 is the best way to go (for now)

There are no technical issues at all between the two versions and my Suite 2007 version is as fast as ever. At the very beginning (before SP1), I have experienced only one little problem, but I presume it was my fault, as I had activated Studio & Suite from two different orders and when I opened TWB with Studio (FL) running I was told that I could run only one instance at a time (problem solved using the respective activation codes from the same order)

Giuliana

[Edited at 2010-04-23 06:37 GMT]
Collapse

Nicolas LEFEVRE
Nicolas LEFEVRE  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to French
+ ...
Tool Apr 24, 2010

I have created a tool to convert directly (by drag & drop) txt to tmx but it requires Trados 2007. If you're interested, just tell it.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
No issues Apr 24, 2010

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

There are no technical issues at all between the two versions and my Suite 2007 version is as fast as ever. At the very beginning (before SP1), I have experienced only one little problem, but I presume it was my fault, as I had activated Studio & Suite from two different orders and when I opened TWB with Studio (FL) running I was told that I could run only one instance at a time (problem solved using the respective activation codes from the same order)

Giuliana

First, that is not the install order we were talking about here.
Second, "there are no techncial issues at all" is a very bold thing to say if all you have to base it on is one data point. Most of the time, things go well so it's no surprise it worked out for you... but that doesn't mean others won't have issues.
Third, it sounds like you did have issues...

I apply the general principle "Don't install new software on the work computer unless you really do need it".

Jean-Christophe Rio
Jean-Christophe Rio
Chinese to French
+ ...
importing txt and tag files into Trados 2009 Jul 11, 2011

Sorry to post in this old thread but I have a problem using Trados 2009:
I don't know how to use or import .txt format translation memory:
I tried all the solutions in this thread but was unable to success.
I think I need more detail to be able to do it like for opening the TM in 2007: it opens only .tmx how I can do this?
same for Xbench I tried to use it but I don't understand where I can open it.

Could someone tell me which button in which place I need to
... See more
Sorry to post in this old thread but I have a problem using Trados 2009:
I don't know how to use or import .txt format translation memory:
I tried all the solutions in this thread but was unable to success.
I think I need more detail to be able to do it like for opening the TM in 2007: it opens only .tmx how I can do this?
same for Xbench I tried to use it but I don't understand where I can open it.

Could someone tell me which button in which place I need to click thank you in advance.

I also would like to know if there is a way to convert .tag file to be able to use them in Trados 2009. Thank you
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Just use Studio Jul 11, 2011

There is no need to use Trados 2007 or XBench.

Just open Studio. Go to "upgrade Translation memories". Follow the wizard to import the txt into a new TM. (I think it's converted to .tmx on the way).

It's really very simple.

Jean-Christophe Rio
Jean-Christophe Rio
Chinese to French
+ ...
Thank Jul 13, 2011

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

There is no need to use Trados 2007 or XBench.

Just open Studio. Go to "upgrade Translation memories". Follow the wizard to import the txt into a new TM. (I think it's converted to .tmx on the way).

It's really very simple.

Thank for your answer but when I want to upgrade a translation memory (after selecting open a translation memory) I can select only .sdlm .tmw .mdb .tmx files and not .txt.
But maybe I don't go to the right place. When you say go to "upgrade Translation memories" where is it (which menu, etc...)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Lisa Ritchie
Lisa Ritchie  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
Best tip! Sep 12, 2012

Hi Paul,

Thanks for this. This tool is really fast and simple!

Lisa

SDL Support wrote:

Hi fpamplona,

If you have SDL Trados 2009 SP2 then you can use the Tools-Upgrade TM option to upgrade a txt TM.

Regards

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing TXT files into Translation Memory

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »