Might be getting stiffed on $1250.00 project
Thread poster: Eric Stone
Tracy Greenwood
Tracy Greenwood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:40
Japanese to English
This is not legal advice, but... Feb 24, 2017

Sorry to hear about this. It's a really weak excuse for them to withhold payment.

The facts are, you contracted with the agency, and they contracted with the end client. Them paying you has nothing to do with them getting paid. I'm sure if you read your agreement with them, there is nothing that says, "We will pay you only if we get paid."

There is no way to know if they got paid. The "corrections" they made are stylistic changes (likely using a thesaurus) and have no
... See more
Sorry to hear about this. It's a really weak excuse for them to withhold payment.

The facts are, you contracted with the agency, and they contracted with the end client. Them paying you has nothing to do with them getting paid. I'm sure if you read your agreement with them, there is nothing that says, "We will pay you only if we get paid."

There is no way to know if they got paid. The "corrections" they made are stylistic changes (likely using a thesaurus) and have nothing to do with the quality of the work.

I once worked on a large J>E translation where the agency pulled the same trick on every translator on ProZ. They demanded a big translation overnight, and because many of us needed the work we took it. However, they came back saying that there were too many mistakes, and refused to pay anybody. Then when we started making entries on the Blue Book, they offered to pay a discounted rate. I kept hammering them and eventually got paid after a few months (they promised immediately payment).

I try to take small projects from recognized agencies. I have stopped replying to "rush" jobs that ask for a discount. It's not worth my time. There are way too many good projects out there to waste my time responding to junk request.

Good luck. There is good work out there. You just have to wade through the garbage to find it. It's very important to be strong enough to say no to the garbage so you have an opening when the good work comes.

T
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Might be getting stiffed on $1250.00 project

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »