Moderator topic

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >
Call for Site Testers: ProZ.com has a new site navigation that needs your test driving
Thread poster: Nate Hill
Nate Hill
Nate Hill
United States
English
+ ...
Jul 13, 2017

The ProZ.com site navigation has had an overhaul, and I'd like to ask the community to take it for a test drive.

The goal of this new navigation is to simplify the current set up -- on older pages, we have a navigation that's been used for a long time while on newer, responsive pages, we have been using a mobile-ready menu. The new navigation will offer a single menu that is the same regardless of the page you are visiting.

If you would like to test it, click here to
... See more
The ProZ.com site navigation has had an overhaul, and I'd like to ask the community to take it for a test drive.

The goal of this new navigation is to simplify the current set up -- on older pages, we have a navigation that's been used for a long time while on newer, responsive pages, we have been using a mobile-ready menu. The new navigation will offer a single menu that is the same regardless of the page you are visiting.

If you would like to test it, click here to turn it on: Turn on the new navigation

Please provide your constructive feedback on this post. There is a button available in test mode to revert to the previous navigation should that be desired. You can always turn on the new menu again with the link above.

I look forward to working with you on this to continue making any improvements!
Collapse

Natanael de Paula Sousa
Natanael de Paula Sousa  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2016)
Italian to English
+ ...
Way better than the older one! Jul 13, 2017

In my humble opinion, this new menu is more organized and even better looking than the older one. I'm not smart enough to have something to add to it.

Aleksandra Romanova
Aleksandra Romanova
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:59
Japanese to English
+ ...
Finally! Jul 13, 2017

The new menu is definitely better! The current design of the site is already rather old, yet there are a couple of pages with the new design (presentation of subscription plans, for example), so I was waiting for the main page to catch up, and this is finally happening!

Keep up the good work!

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:59
Dutch to English
Looks good Jul 13, 2017

It's looking good, but pity about the big upgrade button dominating the menu bar. That could be (a lot) more subtle. Will you also be changing this forum style to match (colour, font, etc.)?

Cheers,

Olly

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
I like it! Jul 13, 2017

Good work, Nate, fresh and clear!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:59
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Still can't switch back Jul 13, 2017

Please put the "Switch back" button on the far left or right, without any other buttons immediately under it!

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
Nice! Jul 13, 2017

Like it a lot, navigating is a lot simpler now. I'm definitely keeping it.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Colours Jul 13, 2017

Seems nicely low-key - not disruptive and considerably simplified. I'm particularly happy about the disappearance of the "military green" colours at the top and look forward to further work on eliminating all the pale yellow backgrounds that are so bad for my eyes (e.g. the names of the moderators of this forum, the ads on the right, and the background where I am writing this post but which is no longer yellow when I post it to the forum).

Basically: the old yellow backgrounds and P
... See more
Seems nicely low-key - not disruptive and considerably simplified. I'm particularly happy about the disappearance of the "military green" colours at the top and look forward to further work on eliminating all the pale yellow backgrounds that are so bad for my eyes (e.g. the names of the moderators of this forum, the ads on the right, and the background where I am writing this post but which is no longer yellow when I post it to the forum).

Basically: the old yellow backgrounds and Pompeii Red text have had their day and should be updated. The font is fine.

I really like the new very pale olive green background - please use it everywhere ! Unfortunately, at the moment, the yellow is still everywhere.

Thanks for working on this.

Another suggestion: when I write a post and click to send it to the forum, it would be great if the forum page would auto-refresh to show my post.

[Edited at 2017-07-13 13:56 GMT]
Collapse

Nawal Kramer
Nawal Kramer
United States
Spanish to English

I'm a fan Jul 13, 2017

I like it better. It looks cleaner, more modern.

Agata Osinska
Agata Osinska
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
New = better Jul 13, 2017

I really like it, it causes me to hope for a newer, more modern and elegant site (Proz's general design really needs an overhaul, too).

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:59
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A little late, but well done. Jul 13, 2017

A few suggestions:

Not all buttons activate on hover, only home and support. It'd be better if they all behaved the same. If you open the menu and then hover on support, the support div appears behind the menu.

The menus don't close on escape.

The search div doesn't close on escape.

Sub-menus should have a timeout before opening, or should only open on a click, otherwise, navigating to any sub-menu other than the first one is troublesome.
... See more
A few suggestions:

Not all buttons activate on hover, only home and support. It'd be better if they all behaved the same. If you open the menu and then hover on support, the support div appears behind the menu.

Sub-menus should have a timeout before opening, or should only open on a click, otherwise, navigating to any sub-menu other than the first one is troublesome.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Improvement! Jul 13, 2017

Looks fresh from the outside, but still some layout work has to be done on the inside. Click on terminology, and you will see what I mean.

While you're at it, could you please merge the 2 term searches? (old and new). It is very annoying to jump from one term search to the other.

Nate Hill
Nate Hill
United States
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can you provide a screenshot? Jul 14, 2017

Jack Doughty wrote:

Please put the "Switch back" button on the far left or right, without any other buttons immediately under it!

Jack, I wasn't able to replicate what you are seeing. If you could post a screenshot that might be more helpful.

For now, you can switch back with this link: Switch back

Thank you.

Nate Hill
Nate Hill
United States
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good suggestions Jul 14, 2017

Jaime Oriard wrote:

A few suggestions:

Hope this helps.

Jaime, really good suggestions, thanks. I'll continue working on some of these next week.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Remove 'Update' button Jul 14, 2017

Nate Hill wrote:

The menus are fine, but please remove the large orange Update button. I am already a paying member. I don't want this distracting graphic element floating in my line of sight. It is not used on the navigation menu for the existing site.

Regards,
Dan

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Call for Site Testers: ProZ.com has a new site navigation that needs your test driving

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »