Thread poster: ACOZ (X)
ACOZ (X)
ACOZ (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:55
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all for your time. Oct 14, 2016

Actually I offered a 50% rate because there are several pages of decent English (I should know - I translated them in the past!) which will not require a lot of time. So, rather than try to work out a per-hour quote for the said decent English and a per-page rate for the remainder, I decided that I would simplify the quote, knowing that customers usually prefer simplicity rather than an insight into how our minds actually work! The rebate on the translation rate takes account of the fact that th... See more
Actually I offered a 50% rate because there are several pages of decent English (I should know - I translated them in the past!) which will not require a lot of time. So, rather than try to work out a per-hour quote for the said decent English and a per-page rate for the remainder, I decided that I would simplify the quote, knowing that customers usually prefer simplicity rather than an insight into how our minds actually work! The rebate on the translation rate takes account of the fact that the rereading of the good pages will be straightforward and quick. They should feel that they're getting a discount and I should feel that I'm not getting totally ripped off.

For the moment, I've had no comeback from the customer. But fear not, fellow translators, after nearly 40 years in the business, I can and will stand my ground on this one. I feel that this is a situation which has to be nipped in the bud from the outset.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Revision" to avoid paying full translation rates

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »