Tetyana Dytyna  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:59
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Jul 20, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I am currently looking for a PhD program in Translation Studies at an American University. It would be great if you could recommend any good ones that you know.

I will appreciate any links to programs, especially your personal feedback if you happened to be a student there, or recomendations of any friends of yours.

Thank you in adavance.

Christine Schmit (X)
Christine Schmit (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to French
+ ...
PhD in translation studies in the US Jul 20, 2009

Hi Tetyana,

As far as I know, there are only two PhD programs in translation studies in the US, one at Binghamton University and one at Kent State University.
... See more
Hi Tetyana,

As far as I know, there are only two PhD programs in translation studies in the US, one at Binghamton University and one at Kent State University.
http://www2.binghamton.edu/comparative-literature/graduate/doctoral-translation-studies.html
http://appling.kent.edu/PhD.html

Best regards,
Christine
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 06:59
English to Arabic
+ ...
Also The U. of Texas at Austin [in selected languages] and MIIS (maybe) Jul 20, 2009

Greetings.

Such programs are also offered at:

1. The University of Texas at Austin [available only in selected languages, last I heard]

and

2. (maybe) MIIS (which does offer MA programs in T&I in various language pairs)

Curious why would you need a PhD in translation, versus another doctoral major in which your language skills would be a means, rather than an end?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

... See more
Greetings.

Such programs are also offered at:

1. The University of Texas at Austin [available only in selected languages, last I heard]

and

2. (maybe) MIIS (which does offer MA programs in T&I in various language pairs)

Curious why would you need a PhD in translation, versus another doctoral major in which your language skills would be a means, rather than an end?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
English - Arabic, Persian, and Kurdish
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Tetyana Dytyna
Belgium
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point Jul 20, 2009

Stephen,

That's a very good question that you asked. In fact, I never thought of this from that perspective. I already have a Bachelor's in translation, and an MA in Translation Studies, so I just assumed it would be logical to continue with a PhD in Translation. But I will give a thought to your suggestion, moreover it seems the US doesn't offer that many programs.

Thanks,
Tetyana Dytyna

hfp
hfp
United States
Local time: 09:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe Belgium Jul 20, 2009

Hey, Tetyana Dytyna! I am actually in sort of the same situation as you. I am finishing up a Masters in Spanish Linguistics and would like to get a PhD in translating and/or interpreting somewhere in the world, one day. Not too long ago I asked some professors back home (I am in Santiago, Chile) if they knew of any interpreting programs and one of them suggested I look in Europe. Maybe in Belgium you can find something. In the meantime don't lose hope.... See more
Hey, Tetyana Dytyna! I am actually in sort of the same situation as you. I am finishing up a Masters in Spanish Linguistics and would like to get a PhD in translating and/or interpreting somewhere in the world, one day. Not too long ago I asked some professors back home (I am in Santiago, Chile) if they knew of any interpreting programs and one of them suggested I look in Europe. Maybe in Belgium you can find something. In the meantime don't lose hope.Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not many Jul 21, 2009

It is true that there are not many translation degree programs in the USA. But why would you want a PhD? Translation is not something you learn in a classroom, you learn by doing, and you also earn money doing it.

You probably have a good enough academic background already. From there it is all up to you.

Julia Ober
Julia Ober  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Russian
+ ...
With Henry Jul 21, 2009

Henry Hinds wrote:

But why would you want a PhD? Translation is not something you learn in a classroom, you learn by doing, and you also earn money doing it.

You probably have a good enough academic background already. From there it is all up to you.

I couldn't agree more. It all boils down to experience.

If you ask me, a PhD in translation generally only makes sence if you want to teach.

Regards,
Julia

[Bearbeitet am 2009-07-21 07:38 GMT]

Marna Renteria
Marna Renteria  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
Why a PhD in Translation Studies? Jul 22, 2009

The only other benefit I could think of besides teaching is translation research, i.e. if you want to investigate an obscure language, or if you want to focus on translation technologies. Do you have a particular interest within translation about which you would eventually write your dissertation?

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:59
German to English
+ ...
MIIS Jul 22, 2009

As far as I know, MIIS doesn't offer PhDs. At least when I attended (late 1990s), the translation and interpretation programs were very practically oriented. Very little pure translation theory was taught.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 01:59
Chinese to English
Someone has mentioned Europe ... New Zealand and Australia have PhD programmes. Any interest? Jul 23, 2009

The University of Auckland offers a PhD in Translation, information here:
http://www.arts.auckland.ac.nz/subjects/index.cfm?P=1343

Australian programmes, here is one: Macquarie University, Sydney:
http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/translation/index.htm
... See more
The University of Auckland offers a PhD in Translation, information here:
http://www.arts.auckland.ac.nz/subjects/index.cfm?P=1343

Australian programmes, here is one: Macquarie University, Sydney:
http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/translation/index.htm

[ @ hfp, this must be the Belgian programme (?):
http://www.kuleuven.be/cetra/index/index.html ]

[Edited at 2009-07-23 11:10 GMT]
Collapse

Andrea Shah
Andrea Shah  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
+ ...
MFA programs Jul 23, 2009

There are also two MFA programs in literary translation that I know of, both of which are centered around the idea of a translation workshop. One is at the University of Iowa, and one is at the University of Arkansas.

I am just finishing up my degree at Iowa (I have about a week left) and i'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the program.

It's worth noting that an MFA in literary translation is a terminal degree (like the PhD) whereas most MAs are
... See more
There are also two MFA programs in literary translation that I know of, both of which are centered around the idea of a translation workshop. One is at the University of Iowa, and one is at the University of Arkansas.

I am just finishing up my degree at Iowa (I have about a week left) and i'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the program.

It's worth noting that an MFA in literary translation is a terminal degree (like the PhD) whereas most MAs are not held to be terminal degrees in the states.
Collapse

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
PHD in Applied Linguistics Jul 24, 2009

Hello Tetyana,

You can also consider PHD in Applied Linguistics. Translation is one of the areas of Applied Linguistics, so getting a PHD in AL would make perfect sense since you already have linguistic BA and MA degrees. I am sure there are considerably more colleges in US that offer PHD in AL than colleges with doctoral programs in TS.

Best,

Galia

Tetyana Dytyna
Belgium
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 26, 2009

I am terribly greatful to everyone who contributed to my thread. I looked at all programs you recommended, and some of your comments did make me think.

To Henry, Julia and chiriz: I see myself in the academe in the future and I want to do research on something I'm familiar with, so I think a PhD might be an asset here.

To Christine, Stephen, hfp, lai an: thanks for the links you posted - I'm considering every one of them.

Andrea and Galia: thanks for sho
... See more
I am terribly greatful to everyone who contributed to my thread. I looked at all programs you recommended, and some of your comments did make me think.

To Henry, Julia and chiriz: I see myself in the academe in the future and I want to do research on something I'm familiar with, so I think a PhD might be an asset here.

To Christine, Stephen, hfp, lai an: thanks for the links you posted - I'm considering every one of them.

Andrea and Galia: thanks for showing me an alternative way.

Thanks again. I wish you all the success with translation!
Collapse

hfp
hfp
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
PhD in Translation Studies at Binghamton University Jul 26, 2009

Just three days ago I found this PhD program at Binghamton University in Binghamton, New York.

Stand-alone Ph.D. in Translation Studies

I have copied the description from the link below:

The CRIT/TRIP doctoral degree is the first Ph.D. in translation studies in the U.S. It prepares students both for the professoriate and for scholarly research – including research-informed translation – and offers individualized interdisciplinary tracks to accommodate t
... See more
Just three days ago I found this PhD program at Binghamton University in Binghamton, New York.

Stand-alone Ph.D. in Translation Studies

I have copied the description from the link below:

The CRIT/TRIP doctoral degree is the first Ph.D. in translation studies in the U.S. It prepares students both for the professoriate and for scholarly research – including research-informed translation – and offers individualized interdisciplinary tracks to accommodate the anticipated variety of backgrounds.

This newly approved Ph.D. program is built on the premise that translation studies integrate several disciplines. It is intended to insure that candidates are familiar with the source disciplines and cultures as well as scholarship in translation studies per se – assuming that candidates enter with adequate practice.

I found that program here: http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/interpreters/courspan.pdf

That link will direct you to Resources for Professional Development of Spanish Court Interpreters.

I'll keep an eye out for more programs.

[Edited at 2009-07-26 18:47 GMT]
Collapse

Julia Ober
Julia Ober  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Russian
+ ...
Tetyana, I understand your point and wish you the best of luck! Jul 31, 2009

Tetyana Dytyna wrote:

Tetyana, I understand your point and wish you the best of luck!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PhD in Translation Studies in USA

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »