Eleonora_P  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:12
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 8, 2017

Hi all!

I have a question that just popped into my head about dubbing rates (not talking about subtitling).
How much does translation for dubbing (movies, TV series, cartoons) cost in your country?
Do you get paid per reel or per minute? Can you set your rates or are they preset by clients/collective agreements?
Here in Italy, for example, according to the national collective agreement, translation of movies, TV series and cartoons - so basically everything that n
... See more
Hi all!

I have a question that just popped into my head about dubbing rates (not talking about subtitling).
How much does translation for dubbing (movies, TV series, cartoons) cost in your country?
Do you get paid per reel or per minute? Can you set your rates or are they preset by clients/collective agreements?
Here in Italy, for example, according to the national collective agreement, translation of movies, TV series and cartoons - so basically everything that needs a lip synchronisation during the real dubbing process - has to be paid per reel (usually equivalent to 10 mins), while TV documentaries without lip-sync - including voice over - are paid per minute (and usually peanuts).
What is you experience about translating for dubbing?
I'd be glad if you could share your comments.
Thank you in advance.

Eleonora
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dubbing rates in your country: per reel OR per minute

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »