Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Am I being stiffed? How would you react?
Thread poster: Eike Exner
Eike Exner
Eike Exner
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Because it had never happened before... May 2, 2017

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

I wonder why you didn't use Paypal instead of a bank transfer. Is it because you don't have a Paypal account, or your client simply doesn't use Paypal?
You could have avoided this trouble for such a small amount if you would have used one.

How about because it had never happened before?

Eike Exner
Eike Exner
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am going to use Paypal next time May 2, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

And get Paypal account.

Yes, I will use my Paypal account next time.

Eike Exner
Eike Exner
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone for your detailed responses May 2, 2017

Thank you for your detailed responses. I still find the behavior of the "finance team" a bit suspicious, given that you'd assume they'd know about these things and wouldn't always respond "must be *your* bank" when it clearly wasn't my bank but (if indeed it was a SWIFT-related fee) an intermediary one. But I guess I've learned my lesson and I won't use wire transfers for small amounts with this agency. Thanks again.

Angela Malik
Angela Malik  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
German to English
+ ...
Intermediary fee May 4, 2017

Eike Exner wrote:

Thank you for your detailed responses. I still find the behavior of the "finance team" a bit suspicious, given that you'd assume they'd know about these things and wouldn't always respond "must be *your* bank" when it clearly wasn't my bank but (if indeed it was a SWIFT-related fee) an intermediary one. But I guess I've learned my lesson and I won't use wire transfers for small amounts with this agency. Thanks again.

Hi Eike,

I didn't bother to read the whole thread, but I am almost certain that it is intermediary bank charges. I had it happen to me once. My client showed proof that she had sent the full amount plus paid the full fee of 22 NZD (New Zealand dollars). But the amount I received had another £12 taken from that. When I asked my bank, they said they hadn't charged anything, and after I pushed and pushed for an eternity to get my own bank to trace the payment and find out where that extra £12 went, they finally tracked it down to Lloyds Bank (a third-party bank) based in London, which handled the transfer from New Zealand to the United Kingdom.

I don't think the "finance team" is acting suspiciously at all -- they probably have no real way of tracking the payment beyond them sending the money and the information their own bank provides, which will not include intermediaries. You might be able to find out who actually took the extra fee if you hound your own bank enough. But I really had to insist and basically refuse to leave the bank premises until they told me what I wanted to know before my bank went through the trouble of finding out the info for me.

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:34
English to Italian
PayPal May 4, 2017

OK, PayPal is faster and handier, but you should also check the associated fees (especially in case of a currency conversion): http://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/cross-border-and-conversion-fees

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Am I being stiffed? How would you react?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »