AllegroTrans
AllegroTrans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:36
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 26, 2015

Linguee is an excellent resource, but when using the lookup facility within memoQ it isn't possible to see the site without annoying banner ads on both sides of the working area.

What is even worse is that these ads "track" you. When I first started using Linguee all the ads were in German, they are now in English and some of them are ads for businesses within the town where I live.

Also, Linguee have totally fake flashing "you have won a competition" banner ads and "do
... See more
Linguee is an excellent resource, but when using the lookup facility within memoQ it isn't possible to see the site without annoying banner ads on both sides of the working area.

What is even worse is that these ads "track" you. When I first started using Linguee all the ads were in German, they are now in English and some of them are ads for businesses within the town where I live.

Also, Linguee have totally fake flashing "you have won a competition" banner ads and "download" buttons. I have challenged Linguee about this but they merely defend the fact that they have to make the site pay by generating advertising revenue.

I have asked memoQ whether there can be an "ad free" implementation of the lookup link to Linguee (ny browser is Firefox) bu this doesn't seem possible.

It's such a pity that a site like Linguee compromises itself in this tacky way.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2015-11-26 22:50 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:36
Finnish to French
IWS Nov 26, 2015

No such problem if you'd access Linguee via IntelliWebSearch and a browser that supports AdBlock, e.g. Chrome or Firefox.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No idea Nov 27, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

No such problem if you'd access Linguee via IntelliWebSearch and a browser that supports AdBlock, e.g. Chrome or Firefox.

I agree. I had no idea there are ads on Linguee. I use Safari with AdBlock and AdBlockPro, plus Safari's own built-in ad-blocking software.

Linguee is so good that I would be willing to pay a small monthly fee for it, as an alternative to ads (even though I don't see them).

It's good because the terms it suggests are taken from already-published and usually reliable sources (although you still have to be careful).

Kari Koonin
Kari Koonin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Adblock currently not blocking ads on Linguee Mar 16, 2016

After years of ad-free Linguee-ing, I've suddenly started seeing ads on Linguee, both through Intelliwebsearch and when I access it through my browser (Firefox) DESPITE the fact that I have Adblock Plus enabled...

Anyone else noticed this?

Sandor Juhasz
Sandor Juhasz
Local time: 15:36
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Disable JavaScript Aug 2, 2017

I had the same problem in Trados Studio Web Lookup. Since banner ads at Linguee use javascripts, I disabled Active scripting under Security Settings in IE. The ads disappeared.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Aug 2, 2017

[Bearbeitet am 2017-08-02 20:47 GMT]

Michel4632
Michel4632
Thanks ! Aug 12, 2017

Thanks much, I ran into the same annoyance for many months...
Your solution works like a charm.

In order not to be annoyed by this deactivation of scripts, don't use IE as your regular browser. You will not see any difference in Firefox, Chrome and others.

Michel

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:36
German to English
+ ...
my experience Aug 13, 2017

The only thing that bothers me, and it does so immensely, is when there are animations. It is tiring to try to look up information when your eye is distracted my rapid motion off to the side. The worst is the one with the woman repeatedly slapping her face over and over with what looks like liquid cellophane - then there is the cook who keeps rolling out chocolate which he later dices into bits. It is fatiguing as we try to track what we are looking for and also glance back at our text. What... See more
The only thing that bothers me, and it does so immensely, is when there are animations. It is tiring to try to look up information when your eye is distracted my rapid motion off to the side. The worst is the one with the woman repeatedly slapping her face over and over with what looks like liquid cellophane - then there is the cook who keeps rolling out chocolate which he later dices into bits. It is fatiguing as we try to track what we are looking for and also glance back at our text. What are they thinking?

Disable java script someone said?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Banner ads with Linguee using the lookup facility within memoQ

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »