Weblate
Thread poster: ArtOne
ArtOne
ArtOne
Canada
Local time: 22:34
Jul 21, 2017

We received a request from a client to translate their UI in Weblate directly (weblate.hexonet.net). Our research shows that Weblate has good reviews on the developers' end.

Does anyone have an experience with Weblate? We would be interested in translators' feedback.

Thank you in advance!

Olena Polissky
Art One Translations

Shouguang Cao
Shouguang Cao  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
I don't Jul 22, 2017

I don't have exprience with weblate but I have had lots of experience translating online. The problem with translating online is not whether it's feature rich. Above all, translating basically is looking at the source and type out the translation. It's the connection speed from world-wide. China has bad Internet connections to outside China, and most on-line projects are a pain for me. I will always prefer online CATs which has a export/import feature, so that I can export and download and then ... See more
I don't have exprience with weblate but I have had lots of experience translating online. The problem with translating online is not whether it's feature rich. Above all, translating basically is looking at the source and type out the translation. It's the connection speed from world-wide. China has bad Internet connections to outside China, and most on-line projects are a pain for me. I will always prefer online CATs which has a export/import feature, so that I can export and download and then import my translation.

[Edited at 2017-07-22 09:03 GMT]
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Export/Import feature is essential Jul 22, 2017

Shouguang Cao wrote:

I will always prefer online CATs which has a export/import feature, so that I can export and download and then import my translation.

I agree entirely. Export/Import is the single most important feature necessary to work on these systems. In this way I can still use the graphical UI of the online system where and when I need to look at a screenshot or other context provided, but can work efficiently with my personal toolset.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weblate

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »