Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Do you use Trados for literary texts, too?
Thread poster: Kateryna Mysak
The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 11:00
Russian to English
+ ...
By all means do as you see fit Mar 25, 2015

Joakim Braun wrote:

I don't deny that for technical jobs where consistency is paramount CAT is useful. But even in a good, clean, stable, responsive, bug-free UI (I have yet to see one!) the segmentation would break my flow and inhibit the necessary recasting of the text, making for dull, slow, translatorish output.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-03-25 12:02 GMT]

You are entitled to your own preferences and opinions as much as I am to mine. You can use a hammer to crack your nuts, or, I don't know, a crystal ashtray if you have one. They both work fine, and it is totally up to you which one to use. I just find that hammer a tad more convenient for the purpose, is all. Cheers.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:00
Swedish to English
+ ...
Segmentation again Mar 25, 2015

Joakim Braun wrote:
. . . segmentation would break my flow and inhibit the necessary recasting of the text, making for dull, slow, translatorish output.

It might break your flow, but it doesn't break mine. On the contrary.

Recently I translated a book using a CAT tool (and speech recognition). The customer declared himself 'very happy' with my translation So clearly it is possible to get good results from CAT. Reminds me of that saying about workmen and their tools.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 25, 2015

I just really like the interface.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Depends Mar 25, 2015

Although many translators state CATs are for rigid and strict 'consistency' only, so it's no good for fiction, I do find that as far as CATs manage to provide SEVERAL variants quite easily, then it will do nicely.

Shortly, I also prefer using CATs for fiction because it enables me to keep tracking, backup, and chose the best suggestion. The only occasional drawback for me is infamous 'segmentation issue', because in different languages it's sometimes better to split or merge transla
... See more
Although many translators state CATs are for rigid and strict 'consistency' only, so it's no good for fiction, I do find that as far as CATs manage to provide SEVERAL variants quite easily, then it will do nicely.

Shortly, I also prefer using CATs for fiction because it enables me to keep tracking, backup, and chose the best suggestion. The only occasional drawback for me is infamous 'segmentation issue', because in different languages it's sometimes better to split or merge translated (localized) sentences.

IMO.
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:00
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Segmentation Mar 26, 2015

Peter Linton wrote:

... workmen and their tools ...

and:

The Misha wrote:

Funny how it seems that most of those who are saying a firm "no" are probably those who have never used any CAT tools or never bothered to learn how to use them properly.

Indeed. Reading statements from opponents of using CAT tools for literary work who say that the segmentation breaks their flow makes me wonder whether they have heard of paragraph based segmentation (as opposed to sentence based segmentation).

But then again, I don't do fiction, so what do I know.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:00
Swedish to English
+ ...
Paragraph based segmentation Mar 27, 2015

For the record, the CAT tool I use supports sentence based segmentation and paragraph based segmentation. I wonder how many opponents of CAT tools are aware of that,

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:00
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Exactly Mar 27, 2015

Peter Linton wrote:

For the record, the CAT tool I use supports sentence based segmentation and paragraph based segmentation. I wonder how many opponents of CAT tools are aware of that

My sentiments exactly.

brg (X)
brg (X)
Netherlands
I use it Mar 27, 2015

For everything I do. Even literary texts.
It does not hinder my workflow or creativity. But I learnt to translate before, and to handle CATs later.
It helps greatly the quality check, especially in controlling proper names, text length and so on.

I do not use paragraph segmentation but always read over my translation after cleaning up and then link sentences together or break them up. The main objective here is that if one has to read a sentence two times, then it is not
... See more
For everything I do. Even literary texts.
It does not hinder my workflow or creativity. But I learnt to translate before, and to handle CATs later.
It helps greatly the quality check, especially in controlling proper names, text length and so on.

I do not use paragraph segmentation but always read over my translation after cleaning up and then link sentences together or break them up. The main objective here is that if one has to read a sentence two times, then it is not clear and should be modified.

By the way, several agencies ask me if I am "able to translate without a tool". As if all translators now work with CATs and if this word-for-word or sentence-for-sentence copying process (I admit, there is something dull in it) is the prerequisite for translation, and not the translation skills. As if a beginner with, say, 2 years of experience, who can use a CAT tool and produce good texts, are supposed to produce good literature. The danger is here: that the use of the CAT-tool places you in the position of somone who always does dull texts.
Collapse

Guillermo Osorio
Guillermo Osorio
Chile
Local time: 12:00
English to Spanish
It depends. Nov 3, 2015

CAT's are always useful, but if we are talking about literary texts we need to know that anything can happen.

My experience has taught me that translating poems using Trados is a little bit complicated. When I was a student I got a real job in a publishing house and I had to translate 'Blood on the Dining Room Floor: a Murder Mistery' by Gertrude Stein. It was a total chaos because Stein's style is full of repetitions, lack of orthography and musicality.

Nevertheless, u
... See more
CAT's are always useful, but if we are talking about literary texts we need to know that anything can happen.

My experience has taught me that translating poems using Trados is a little bit complicated. When I was a student I got a real job in a publishing house and I had to translate 'Blood on the Dining Room Floor: a Murder Mistery' by Gertrude Stein. It was a total chaos because Stein's style is full of repetitions, lack of orthography and musicality.

Nevertheless, using Trados when translating a 'normal book' (like the ones you find on Babelcube.com) has been very useful.

Thus, if your source text does not have a song, poem or playwords you will not have problems using Trados.
Collapse

Caroline Eira (X)
Caroline Eira (X)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends a lot! Nov 3, 2015

"CAT's are always useful, but if we are talking about literary texts we need to know that anything can happen"

I agree with Guillermo!
I think it depends a lot on the author and their style. And we should keep in mind that translating a book or a poem or whatever it comes to Literature/ Poetry, there's too many things to take into account and a CatTool might not cover all these little and meaning details... That's my opinion!...
See more
"CAT's are always useful, but if we are talking about literary texts we need to know that anything can happen"

I agree with Guillermo!
I think it depends a lot on the author and their style. And we should keep in mind that translating a book or a poem or whatever it comes to Literature/ Poetry, there's too many things to take into account and a CatTool might not cover all these little and meaning details... That's my opinion!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you use Trados for literary texts, too?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »