I want to be an interpreter (English Spanish) need advice (UK)
Thread poster: Lander Alonso Calderon (X)
Lander Alonso Calderon (X)
Lander Alonso Calderon (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 26, 2017

Hello this is my first post, thanks for having me

I am a spaniard living in the UK. I'd like to become an interpreter as well as a translator and I am researching on what qualifications to achieve next. My educational background consists in GCSE (lvl c or above) and a BTEC lvl 4 in media.

I have been reading this forum as well as prospects webpage etc and I am interested in this community interpreting lvl
... See more
Hello this is my first post, thanks for having me

I am a spaniard living in the UK. I'd like to become an interpreter as well as a translator and I am researching on what qualifications to achieve next. My educational background consists in GCSE (lvl c or above) and a BTEC lvl 4 in media.

I have been reading this forum as well as prospects webpage etc and I am interested in this community interpreting lvl 3 certificate, but I see it is not available in Leeds, which is where I live. Anyway I have a few questions.

1 What's roughly the hourly rate Spanish English both face to face and by phone assuming you are a rookie with a CIC lvl 3?
2 Do you struggle to get enough hours to survive if you take any job? If not, do you struggle to be able to work let's say Monday to Friday 9 till 5?
3 If I do the community lvl 3 certificate will it help me getting into translating as well as interpreting? Do you require any special qualification as a freelance translator working for an agency?
4 I see there are online training courses for the community interpreting certificate. Are they officially recognised? Would I have access to student finance like the advanced learner loan?

Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I want to be an interpreter (English Spanish) need advice (UK)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »