Muna khleifat
Muna khleifat  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 03:38
Arabic to English
+ ...
Nov 12, 2012

Dear colleagues,
When clients hire you as an interpreter to work in a city other than the city of your abode, do you charge them at the same rate, or do you take a higher fee? Moreover, is it enough for you if they provide transportation or do you make them provide transportation and charge them higher ? And is there a standard milage? Or does it apply once the assignment is in another city.
Would be great if I could learn about practices in different countries.
Many thanks
... See more
Dear colleagues,
When clients hire you as an interpreter to work in a city other than the city of your abode, do you charge them at the same rate, or do you take a higher fee? Moreover, is it enough for you if they provide transportation or do you make them provide transportation and charge them higher ? And is there a standard milage? Or does it apply once the assignment is in another city.
Would be great if I could learn about practices in different countries.
Many thanks
Muna
Collapse

Shiya Luo
Shiya Luo  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
Depends on where you are... Nov 12, 2012

The standard practice in the US is .55/mile for cities within driving distance. If the interpreter has to fly, then the client should cover the travel expense, i.e. plane ticket, hotel accommodation, and a budget for meal each day.

I don't see a reason to charge more than the usual rate.

nini24
nini24
United States
Local time: 19:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
stay in hotel the night before Sep 14, 2016

[Edited at 2016-09-14 19:56 GMT]

What if the next day assignment is a full day event, besides your full day rate for one day, do you at least charge travel time? (assuming the flight, accommodations and per diem are all paid for by the client)

[Edited at 2016-09-14 20:16 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 20:38
Romanian to English
+ ...
it should not matter Sep 14, 2016

nini24 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I received a request from an agency for an interpreting assignment for which there is the need of staying in hotel the night before. The assignment will need two interpreters.

The clients pay for the accommodations, per diem for meals and a full day's rate for a 3-hour interpretation. I quoted the full day's rate for the 3-hour assignment because the location is more than 150 miles away.

The client changed their mind, instead of two interpreters, they want to hire only one interpreter to do the work of two interpreters, so the 3-hour work becomes 6 hours, and they will pay the interpreter the agreed upon one full day's rate, the reason being 6 hours are within the full day time frame?

I don't agree, because I weighed in all the elements when I made the quote, including the 3-hour work duration.

What are your thoughts on the situation.

Thanks.

nini

It should not matter if there is 1 interpreter or 10. You charge your daily rate + all the travel expenses + per diem. I do not see a reason why you should charge less just because there are 2,3 or more interpreters. Years ago I interpreted in court in a very complex case that needed 6 interpreters. We charged our daily rates. Also, there are assignments when I have to work 20 minutes or 8 hours by myself. If the court (or client) booked me for the full day, I charge them for the full day. If I have to travel (fly) to the location, I charge 1/2 day for each trip.

[Edited at 2016-09-14 19:54 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreters' rate when they work outside their cities of abode

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »