Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
What's your beverage of choice while translating?
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Red grapefruit is... Jul 22, 2017

Angela Dickson wrote:

Ricki Farn wrote:

I guess people hate grapefruit because it's bitter and sour at the same time. I can drink water with some juice in it, but watching my resident Brit have an actual grapefruit for breakfast makes me run for the hills.

Don't google "why do people hate grapefruit?", it's a total rabbit hole.

It interacts with a number of common medications, so lots of people aren't allowed it. And it's quite distinctive so I guess a lot of people hate it

My boring drink routine - 1-2 cups of black coffee in the morning, and sparkling water the rest of the day. I'm trying to reduce the environmental impact of the sparkling water habit, since buying water in plastic bottles is not a sustainable thing to do, but I do like it...

We have a bar in our shared office, so at the end of the day we sometimes open that for gins and tonic, but not frequently.

...quite sweet with the right tartness. I love it. I always suspected the common habit of adding a spoonful of sugar atop a half grapefruit. I don't do it. But I only eat red grapefruits (1 dollar each at my local supermarket). Sometimes it's better than navel oranges.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vodka Jul 22, 2017

nimrodtran wrote:

I'm the translator into Spanish of those chinese devices manuals...

Absolut-ely!

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Turkish coffee Jul 22, 2017

Preston Decker wrote:

I'm another coffee guy. Sometimes I hate myself for it (teeth staining, the temptation to add ice cream or sugar), but other times a cup of coffee is the icing on the cake to a perfect morning or day. All-in-all, I think I'm probably healthier for drinking my (mostly) black coffees than I would have been if I had kept drinking colas for my pick-me-ups.

I'm an unabashed fan of Dunkin Donuts (I can hear all of you groaning in horror now), though obviously one can't go there every day. My neighbor showed me last month how to make Turkish coffee, and I've been on quite the bend over the past few weeks. Only cost 20 dollars for the pot, and the neighbor's advice of grinding a bit of cinnamon in with the coffee works like a charm. If you like coffee and don't mind having a layer of grounds at the bottom of your cup, I highly recommend Turkish coffee.

[Edited at 2017-07-21 20:00 GMT]

Hi, Preston,

I did try Turkish coffee from the hands of a lovely young Turkish woman (her parents were visiting her at our dorm building in Lisbon, Portugal). It's quite an acquired taste. As one swallow doesn't a summer make, a single cup of Turkish coffee hasn't made me a convert. Yet.

I should try cinnamon in my coffee concoctions, though.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's your beverage of choice while translating?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »