Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
What's your beverage of choice while translating?
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:33
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Pure black gold Jul 21, 2017

Also known as coffee. Along with mineral water and "Apfelschorle" (apple juice), both carbonated.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Tea Jul 21, 2017

As a member of the world's no. 1 tea drinking "nation" (East Frisia), what else could my answer be other than tea? However, I usually don't drink anything while I'm actually at work, but I enjoy regular tea breaks.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I have a separate table for drinks and other things. Jul 21, 2017

Nadja Balogh wrote:

I'm afraid of spilling things on my desk, so if I'm thirsty/need a break I'll go to the kitchen and sit down for a cup of tea.

Officially it is a proofreading table, as the computer desk is too small for spreading out papers, but beside it I have an old office desk full of ... don't ask! Also good for parking paper dictionaries.

It is about 20 cm away from the computer desk, and I also have a small tea-light holder with a candle to keep my coffee hot. Have not used that much the last 18 months, but it is highly effective, and cosy in the winter.

Spills would go largely on the floor. An accident would be a nuisance, but I could dry out the papers and books, and in fact I have never spilt more than a spoonful of coffee in 14 years or more...

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:33
German to English
+ ...
Mine: various or none Jul 21, 2017

1: not alcoholic
2: I often don't drink while translating (which is only for 60-90 minutes per session)
3: Maybe coffee, maybe a fruit drink
If I have a drink while translating, it's usually my own 'special' instant coffee mix: approx. 45% Nescafe Gold, 45% Nescafe Classic, 10% Colombian (from Lidl). I put the cup of hot coffee on a table behind me, so it's not near the computer in front of me.
In hot weather, it is sometimes a mixed-fruit drink (apple & blackcurrant or '
... See more
2: I often don't drink while translating (which is only for 60-90 minutes per session)
If I have a drink while translating, it's usually my own 'special' instant coffee mix: approx. 45% Nescafe Gold, 45% Nescafe Classic, 10% Colombian (from Lidl). I put the cup of hot coffee on a table behind me, so it's not near the computer in front of me.
In hot weather, it is sometimes a mixed-fruit drink (apple & blackcurrant or 'summer fruits', 'no added sugar'), diluted with iced or hot water.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Bünting Grünpack (black tea) Jul 21, 2017

... one of the numerous tea brands the "Grande Nation" (Frisia Orientalis) has to offer. Traditionally three times a day = > 2 liters. The evening is reserved for one of the two great beer brands Northern Germany has to offer. Consume is depending on the work load the next day, which often means I have to go thirsty to bed ...

[Edited at 2017-07-21 09:44 GMT]

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Absinthe Jul 21, 2017

Every day, three times. Doctor's orders.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:33
French to English
+ ...
grapefruit Jul 21, 2017

Ricki Farn wrote:

I guess people hate grapefruit because it's bitter and sour at the same time. I can drink water with some juice in it, but watching my resident Brit have an actual grapefruit for breakfast makes me run for the hills.

Don't google "why do people hate grapefruit?", it's a total rabbit hole.

It interacts with a number of common medications, so lots of people aren't allowed it. And it's quite distinctive so I guess a lot of people hate it

My boring drink routine - 1-2 cups of black coffee in the morning, and sparkling water the rest of the day. I'm trying to reduce the environmental impact of the sparkling water habit, since buying water in plastic bottles is not a sustainable thing to do, but I do like it...

We have a bar in our shared office, so at the end of the day we sometimes open that for gins and tonic, but not frequently.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:33
German to English
+ ...
And the dosage Jul 21, 2017

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

prescribed by your physician? 100 grams three times daily?

[Edited at 2017-07-21 12:37 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another coffee acolyte! Jul 21, 2017

Oliver Walter wrote:

In hot weather, it is sometimes a mixed-fruit drink (apple & blackcurrant or 'summer fruits', 'no added sugar'), diluted with iced or hot water.

I'm impressed, Oliver, by your specific coffee recipe. Maybe I'll give it a try.

One downside of drinking coffee: more trips to the bathroom!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brave Jul 21, 2017

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

Absynthe is for the brave souls among translators and literati. I'm officially impressed.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:33
German to English
+ ...
Effects of Absinthe Jul 21, 2017

“After the first glass, you see things as you wish they were. After the second, you see things as they are not. Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world.” – Oscar Wilde

nimrodtran
nimrodtran
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Vodka, of course Jul 21, 2017

I'm the translator into Spanish of those chinese devices manuals...

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Jul 21, 2017

Morning: Strong black tea with honey and cream.
Day: Green Tea (either pure or with lemon, honey and Cayenne pepper) or Jasmine Tea, approx. 1 liter/day.

If I miscalculated my workload and need to procure some extra energy late in the evening, I consume some strong Mate in a traditional gourd.

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
Coffee Jul 21, 2017

I'm another coffee guy. Sometimes I hate myself for it (teeth staining, the temptation to add ice cream or sugar), but other times a cup of coffee is the icing on the cake to a perfect morning or day. All-in-all, I think I'm probably healthier for drinking my (mostly) black coffees than I would have been if I had kept drinking colas for my pick-me-ups.

I'm an unabashed fan of Dunkin Donuts (I can hear all of you groaning in horror now), though obviously one can't go there every day.
... See more
I'm another coffee guy. Sometimes I hate myself for it (teeth staining, the temptation to add ice cream or sugar), but other times a cup of coffee is the icing on the cake to a perfect morning or day. All-in-all, I think I'm probably healthier for drinking my (mostly) black coffees than I would have been if I had kept drinking colas for my pick-me-ups.

I'm an unabashed fan of Dunkin Donuts (I can hear all of you groaning in horror now), though obviously one can't go there every day. My neighbor showed me last month how to make Turkish coffee, and I've been on quite the bend over the past few weeks. Only cost 20 dollars for the pot, and the neighbor's advice of grinding a bit of cinnamon in with the coffee works like a charm. If you like coffee and don't mind having a layer of grounds at the bottom of your cup, I highly recommend Turkish coffee.

[Edited at 2017-07-21 20:00 GMT]
Collapse

Katrin Braams
Katrin Braams  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2018)
English to German
+ ...
Tea, Tea, Tea and some water Jul 21, 2017

I start my work day with a nice cup of black tea with milk and close the day with a nice cup of black tea with milk. And in between it is lots of black tea with milk. Sometimes for a change some fizzy water.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's your beverage of choice while translating?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »