Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
What's your beverage of choice while translating?
Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:02
Member (2011)
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Depends on the context Jul 20, 2017

For urgent jobs and night shifts - coffee, for quiet lazy long-term projects with generous deadlines - tea. Black tea with lemon in the morning, earl grey in the afternoon and herbal tea in the evening. Water all time in between and when it is more than +27 outside.

Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
Nothing (while at the desk) Jul 20, 2017

I'm afraid of spilling things on my desk, so if I'm thirsty/need a break I'll go to the kitchen and sit down for a cup of tea.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Black, no sugar Jul 20, 2017

That way, when you spill it all over your keyboard, there's a reasonable chance that the computer will recover.

(It's nice to see people drinking instant. I'm a Brit living in the States, and no one drinks it here except, apparently, Hispanic people. The label on the Nescafé jar is in Spanish.)

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
beans only! Jul 20, 2017

I start with coffee, with our wonderful machine that grinds the beans to order, never had better coffee in my life.
(my parents used to drink instant with lots of milk and for me it was just liquid mud)

I keep a glass of water to hand in case I feel thirsty but hardly ever drink from it because usually if I want a drink I also want a chance to stretch my legs and stare at the contents of the fridge as if it were suddenly to produce a miracle snack that tastes like heaven with
... See more
I start with coffee, with our wonderful machine that grinds the beans to order, never had better coffee in my life.
(my parents used to drink instant with lots of milk and for me it was just liquid mud)

I keep a glass of water to hand in case I feel thirsty but hardly ever drink from it because usually if I want a drink I also want a chance to stretch my legs and stare at the contents of the fridge as if it were suddenly to produce a miracle snack that tastes like heaven without affecting my hips.

In the afternoon I switch to tea. Usually a proper cuppa, never heard it called builder's tea. At the moment I'm on a herbal tea to stimulate my circulation after encountering some health problems.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any tea for me, except black Jul 20, 2017

Oksana Weiss wrote:

For urgent jobs and night shifts - coffee, for quiet lazy long-term projects with generous deadlines - tea. Black tea with lemon in the morning, earl grey in the afternoon and herbal tea in the evening. Water all time in between and when it is more than +27 outside.

I've tasted almost every kind of tea out there. My stomach can't handle black tea for some reason, and earl grey is too bitter for me.
If I followed your example, I'd be drinking tea since I'm on a long-term project with a generous deadline.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What is a “macchinetta del caffè”? Jul 20, 2017

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Water while in the office in the morning, and a ridiculously large mug of latte in the afternoons when working from home.

At the expense of losing part of my professional glamour, I confess that I never grind my own coffee beans... BUT I always use my cherished macchinetta del caffè. Does that replenish my glamour or what?

Are those with a plunger or filter on it?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:02
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Builder's tea, cuppa, brew, etc. Jul 20, 2017

Texte Style wrote:

I keep a glass of water to hand in case I feel thirsty but hardly ever drink from it because usually if I want a drink I also want a chance to stretch my legs and stare at the contents of the fridge as if it were suddenly to produce a miracle snack that tastes like heaven without affecting my hips.

In the afternoon I switch to tea. Usually a proper cuppa, never heard it called builder's tea. At the moment I'm on a herbal tea to stimulate my circulation after encountering some health problems.

No idea if it's used more or less in particular parts of the UK, but here in Sussex people often call it that. Or cuppa, or brew. And probably a few others I've never heard of.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Builder's_tea

My family (who are Dutch Americans, living in Barcelona), and many of my foreign friends, often laugh when they see me putting milk and sugar in my oversized mug of tea, but I now prefer it that way!

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Tea Jul 20, 2017

Earl Grey, to be exactly. Always got a mug next to me while working.

[Edited at 2017-07-20 18:39 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Water and green tea, none-flavored Jul 20, 2017

Sometimes instant coffee, fair trade.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Water and fruit juice, mixed Jul 20, 2017

... in a big bottle (1.5 litres) whose lid I replace religiously after every sip. No swimming pool in my workspace!

Surprisingly, while 99% of Germans feel that grapefruit juice is a sign of perversion if not of certain doom, the local inner-city village supermarket always has it in stock. Wizardry?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Macchinetta... Jul 20, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:
Tomás wrote:
At the expense of losing part of my professional glamour, I confess that I never grind my own coffee beans... BUT I always use my cherished macchinetta del caffè. Does that replenish my glamour or what?

Are those with a plunger or filter on it?

I mean this kind of thing: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cafetera_moka. If you keep them far from the dishwasher, they are eternal. I think I have only owned two of them in my life.

I am now approaching a critical crossroads in my life, as we are changing to an induction cooktop which won't work with my ages-old macchinetta made of aluminium. Sigh! A whole new realm of uncertainty opens up!

[Edited at 2017-07-20 17:27 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They think of you! Jul 20, 2017

Ricki Farn wrote:
Surprisingly, while 99% of Germans feel that grapefruit juice is a sign of perversion if not of certain doom, the local inner-city village supermarket always has it in stock. Wizardry?

They probably stock it for you only! There is nothing a supermarket values more than a regular customer.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Why? Jul 20, 2017

Ricki Farn wrote:
Surprisingly, while 99% of Germans feel that grapefruit juice is a sign of perversion if not of certain doom...

Helena Chavarria
Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
1.5 litres of water Jul 20, 2017

mixed with 30 ml of dandelion and artichoke syrup. It's called a 'drenante' in Spanish and it prevents water retention and cleanses the system.

It tastes nice, it's healthy and is neither addictive nor fattening (it contains fructose instead of normal sugar).

Apart from that, a mug of coffee (Nespresso) in the morning, a small beer before lunch, a small coffee after lunch and a cup of red tea in the middle of the afternoon.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
@philgoddard Jul 20, 2017

I guess people hate grapefruit because it's bitter and sour at the same time. I can drink water with some juice in it, but watching my resident Brit have an actual grapefruit for breakfast makes me run for the hills.

Don't google "why do people hate grapefruit?", it's a total rabbit hole.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's your beverage of choice while translating?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »