Jagoda W.
Jagoda W.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:56
Polish to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2016

Morning All,

As a brand new member of NRPSI waiting for this first phone call regarding assignments, I'd like to ask the seasoned members about your experiences around membership and amount of work you're getting. I'm also wondering whether the organizations who contact the registered interpreters state their own pay rates (like Met Police, from what I understand) or do they ask interpreters about their own rates and possibly make their choice based on competitiveness? Personally, I
... See more
Morning All,

As a brand new member of NRPSI waiting for this first phone call regarding assignments, I'd like to ask the seasoned members about your experiences around membership and amount of work you're getting. I'm also wondering whether the organizations who contact the registered interpreters state their own pay rates (like Met Police, from what I understand) or do they ask interpreters about their own rates and possibly make their choice based on competitiveness? Personally, I hope the latter is not the case as this would inevitably lead to lowering the average rates within the profession. Anyway, what are the average rates? My languages are English/Polish. It would be really good to hear your thoughts. Thank you!
Collapse

Ewa Dabrowska
Ewa Dabrowska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
work obtained through NRPSI Dec 1, 2016

The Register itself does not actively try to obtain work for us. Its role is rather to regulatory. You'd be lucky if you get any work from people/organisations that have found you on the Register. I get about 2-3 jobs a year through the Register, which means the subscription fee is reimbursed but obviously it is not a dependable source of work. When people do contact you, either they have set rates (e.g. legal aid) or you can negotiate (e.g. private or commercial clients). All court bookings are... See more
The Register itself does not actively try to obtain work for us. Its role is rather to regulatory. You'd be lucky if you get any work from people/organisations that have found you on the Register. I get about 2-3 jobs a year through the Register, which means the subscription fee is reimbursed but obviously it is not a dependable source of work. When people do contact you, either they have set rates (e.g. legal aid) or you can negotiate (e.g. private or commercial clients). All court bookings are outsourced through an agency (you may or may not choose to register with them to get work offers - as far as I know they do not even require you to be on the NRPSI), except for some civil cases, where either the client or his/her solicitor need to book their own interpreter. MET Police are very unlikely to call you as they use their own internal list of interpreters (who are indeed on the Register) (I assume you are not on in as otherwise you'd be familiar with the system; they have fixed rates)) and they are not recruiting at the moment. Sorry if this sounds bleak but the interpreting profession is not at its best in England at the moment I'm afraid.Collapse

Jagoda W.
Jagoda W.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 1, 2016

Hi Ewa,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience, I find it really useful. Indeed, it was truly disappointing to learn that Met Police had carried out the recruitment last year; there have been so many brand new police interpreters bred by CIOL each season;)
Trying to keep positive though!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NRPSI - best practice?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »