Thread poster: Valery Afanasiev
Valery Afanasiev
Valery Afanasiev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:40
English to Russian
+ ...
May 12, 2013

I will be putting in this topic my questions, notes, and comments regarding Fluency functionality and behavior and will be much thankful to Fluency support for their comments.

1. When you leave computer for a while and have some other "heavy" programs like MSWord, Adobe Acrobat, another CAT, etc. open the Fluency, after few minutes of being idle, gets "asleep" not to say "dead" and the only way to "wake it up" is to shut the program down through the Windows task manager and restart.
... See more
I will be putting in this topic my questions, notes, and comments regarding Fluency functionality and behavior and will be much thankful to Fluency support for their comments.

1. When you leave computer for a while and have some other "heavy" programs like MSWord, Adobe Acrobat, another CAT, etc. open the Fluency, after few minutes of being idle, gets "asleep" not to say "dead" and the only way to "wake it up" is to shut the program down through the Windows task manager and restart. All other applications work OK though. This never happens with CAT's like SDL Studio or MemoQ.

2. When I tried to export Fluency TM into tmx file it worked OK. But I could never open that tmx file by a third party tool like Okapi Olifant or TM import of some other CAT's receiving the code error message like " " is not acceptable marker, the marker should be ";" line 8280, position 63. This would not be a problem if I could open the tmx file in a tool like Notepad++ and correct but I can' because the file is too big to be opened by Notepad++. BTW the error was generated inside the Fluency since the original fiel was imported from "clean" tmx free of any errors.

I would therefore need to locate the bad segment in the Fluency TM Editor and delete it. To do so I need:

(a) A column to the left showing units (segments) numbers like the one in MemoQ TM Editor.
(b) Ability to jump quickly to the desired unit number by simple typing in the unit number in some prompt window and pressing Enter.

3. Filter in the TM Editor by unit creation/change date does not work properly or probably does not exist. If I sort units by creation or change datу I have units created in 2008 followed by those created in 2005 which are followed by those created in 2007. Does this sorting/filter work at all? Filtering by alphabet in either source or target columns works fine.

4. I would like to filter all segments by date, cut the latest, say for last three days, and export only them into tmx but having the entire TM intact. Is that possible? The reason I am asking is that Fluency will be my "second car in the family" used to work with some specific documents whilst the main protion of my work will be done in some other CAT program.

5. Is it possible make Fluency to export TM not only in tmx but also as a tab delimited text like Deja Vu X offers?

More issues/questions will follow once I get stuck with them.

PS: My computer is a HP Elitebook 8460p machine with Intel i7 2.7 GHz CPU and 4 GB RAM, and Windows 7 x64 Pro on board.

Thanks in advance for your kind attention and comments
Collapse

Valery Afanasiev
Valery Afanasiev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:40
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update May 12, 2013

I have a PDF source file (would call it a "real" or "editable", or "quality" PDF) which, however, due to complicated internal (hidden) formatting could not be properly converted into MSWord using Adobe Acrobat or any other PDF to DOC converter. Fluency's integrated PDF editor lost this race as well but I wouldn't blame any software for that. The source file is an advertising brochure with dozens of different styles, fonts, lots of embedded graphics, you know this sort of stuff. Luckily, InFix P... See more
I have a PDF source file (would call it a "real" or "editable", or "quality" PDF) which, however, due to complicated internal (hidden) formatting could not be properly converted into MSWord using Adobe Acrobat or any other PDF to DOC converter. Fluency's integrated PDF editor lost this race as well but I wouldn't blame any software for that. The source file is an advertising brochure with dozens of different styles, fonts, lots of embedded graphics, you know this sort of stuff. Luckily, InFix PDF Editor Pro could deal with it with minor formatting errors easily corrected prior to delivery. Also, InFix has a very nice feature of exporting all content of such PDF into XML file which can further be downloaded into any CAT tool for translation and import it back resulting in a nice looking translated file with all (hmmm... almost all) formatting saved . And that was what I did. I have put the XML in Fluency and had in translated. To my surprise Fluency showed me all the XML codes making the source file at least 4 times bigger against the text it contained. If I untick in the XML import window I get a hassle in the source file. Anyway, the job was done and translated file was brought back to InFix for final touch ups. And at this point InFix refused to accept the file saying someting about wrong code "somewhere near the first line". I opened a 3rd party XML Editor in attempt to locate the one and kill it. But there were no wrong or extra codes. Nevertheless, InFix yet didn't want to accept the XML prepared by Fluency. I opened the same XML by MemoQ and put it through. And InFix did not say 'no' at this time.

All the above story means that Fluency does something else with XML apart from bare translation and that "something" may ruin the rest of the project. Bad news. Also, MemoQ hides all the formatting XML codes from my view leaving me clean "codeless" text for translation (some 200 units to translate instead of 800+ I saw in Fluency including all XML codes which normally should not care a translator).

If Fluency support wishes I can repeat this exercise for them to show the issue.
Collapse

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:40
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
same problem May 13, 2013

Valery Afanasiev wrote:
1. When you leave computer for a while and have some other "heavy" programs like MSWord, Adobe Acrobat, another CAT, etc. open the Fluency, after few minutes of being idle, gets "asleep" not to say "dead" and the only way to "wake it up" is to shut the program down through the Windows task manager and restart. All other applications work OK though. This never happens with CAT's like SDL Studio or MemoQ.

Dear Valery,

I sometimes have the exact same problem with Fluency and the only way I have found to solve it is by using Windows task manager like you do. I would be interested in coming up with some better solution.

Sarah

gkita_fluency
gkita_fluency
United States
Local time: 08:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Fluency Support May 15, 2013

Hello Valery,

My name is Greg with Fluency Support.

It was brought to my attention that you've been having some issues with Fluency.

We would love to help you with these issues.

Please email us at [email protected] and we will promptly help work through these issues with you.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Fluency functionality

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »