Maria Stella Tupynambá
Maria Stella Tupynambá
Brazil
Local time: 04:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 14, 2012

Hello colleagues

I know that this CAT Tool is relatively new, but I have tried it and as I could see for myself it is worth purchasing. I wanted to know if there is anyone using it for most translations, and also if so, is it really good to work with Trados files and other file extensions such as those used with Wordfast. Is there anyone using Fluency who have already worked with MemoQ? I don't know which one to choose because this year I want to work with a new CAT Tool to b
... See more
Hello colleagues

I know that this CAT Tool is relatively new, but I have tried it and as I could see for myself it is worth purchasing. I wanted to know if there is anyone using it for most translations, and also if so, is it really good to work with Trados files and other file extensions such as those used with Wordfast. Is there anyone using Fluency who have already worked with MemoQ? I don't know which one to choose because this year I want to work with a new CAT Tool to broaden my possibility of delivering/taking different files. For example working with .pdf file extensions and others that are not supported by Trados.
Is there anyone that could help me comparing MemoQ to Fluency, I don't know which to choose but both are not really "cheap", probably Fluency is more affordable. What I really want is something that really adds efficiency, quality and also to be able to go faster. Yesterday I used my trial version of Fluency and the tags coming from my client, that were in the original text made Fluency saved the files, but when I tried to open the "rtf" file and save it to my Trados Workbench (the client requested the memory) it didn't save to my Workbench at all and I had to copy everything and paste it to the original file again!!!
So, which to choose MemoQ or Fluency, for a second Cat Tool?

[Edited at 2012-02-14 12:41 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-02-14 12:41 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:30
Finnish to French
memoQ has excellent integration for other CAT tools Feb 14, 2012

Stella(Brazil) wrote:
So, which to choose MemoQ or Fluency, for a second Cat Tool?

I would say: go with memoQ, because it integrates very well with other CAT tools: for instance, it supports the TTX format (TagEditor), the SDLXLIFF format (SDL Trados Studio), the TXML format (Wordfast Pro) as well as the Star Transit format (which very few tools support).

memoQ also has a much bigger user base than Fluency. Compare the number of subscribers and posts to their respective mailing lists: Fluency (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/fluencytranslation ) has 24 subscribers and 2 messages posted in 2011 (none in 2012); memoQ (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/memoQ ) has 918 subscribers and 305 messages posted in the first two weeks of February 2012 alone (almost 6000 messages posted in 2011). So I'd say memoQ stands better chances to be still around 5 years from now.

Andrew Anderson
Andrew Anderson
United States
Local time: 01:30
Thank you for your interest in Fluency Feb 14, 2012

Thank you for your interest and comments about Fluency.

I am sorry that you had some issues trying to open the "rft" file and save it to your Workbench. Typically, that is never an issue for our users. Please know that our technical support team is ready to help you with any issues. They are extremely responsive and helpful, so please contact them at [email protected] with any questions/concerns.
... See more

I am sorry that you had some issues trying to open the "rft" file and save it to your Workbench. Typically, that is never an issue for our users. Please know that our technical support team is ready to help you with any issues. They are extremely responsive and helpful, so please contact them at [email protected] with any questions/concerns.

You will find that Fluency is also very compatible with other CAT tools. Fluency also supports the TTX, SDLXLIFF, and TXML formats. At this time, we do not support the Star Transit format, however, support for that format may be available in the next version of Fluency.

While Fluency does not have the biggest user base, that is largely due to the newness of the product. While our parent company has been in business since 1997 (so there is little concern that we will not be around in five years), Fluency has only been on the market since February of 2011. However, we are rapidly developing a strong user base, due to the benefits and features of Fluency, as well as, the excellent pricing available. We are a fraction of the cost for similar quality products.

If there are any questions, you can visit our website at fluencytranslation.com or contact us at the email above.
Collapse

Maria Stella Tupynambá
Maria Stella Tupynambá
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fluency did not mark my translation as finished so I couldn't save the memory to Workbench Feb 15, 2012

[quote]Fluency Support wrote:

Actually my client had a document with his own tags and I decided to do it on Fluency to try it, what happened was that because of those tags the program interpreted the segments as untranslated and the segments were mostly in red so they were interpreted as untranslated by Fluency (all red sentences were not checked) even if I marked it as finished, when I saved the bilingual rtf file and opened, my Workbench did not interpret segments as translated either, so I could not save the memory like that, I had to copy and paste the total amount of sentences again in a clean source language file, and I tried everything even the Studio 2009 wouldn't read that as translated, I tried to check them again and again but no success. I don't have a clue about what happened but Trados 2007, after the copy and paste process, did all right with the client's tags and saved it normally.
But I must say that Fluency has a great Portuguese dictionary for IT and get terms directly from Microsoft, I was very happy with the Tool before this happened! I also set my preferred websites to check for terms in Portuguese and it was also speeding up my translation. I did not even have to open the Browser to search for terms or accessing Proz.com term search since I set it as one of my terminology websites.

Richard Tregaskis
Richard Tregaskis
United States
Local time: 01:30
Korean to English
+ ...
Untranslateables Feb 15, 2012

[quote]Stella(Brazil) wrote:

Fluency Support wrote:

Actually my client had a document with his own tags and I decided to do it on Fluency to try it, what happened was that because of those tags the program interpreted the segments as untranslated and the segments were mostly in red so they were interpreted as untranslated by Fluency (all red sentences were not checked) even if I marked it as finished, when I saved the bilingual rtf file and opened, my Workbench did not interpret segments as translated either, so I could not save the memory like that, I had to copy and paste the total amount of sentences again in a clean source language file, and I tried everything even the Studio 2009 wouldn't read that as translated, I tried to check them again and again but no success. I don't have a clue about what happened but Trados 2007, after the copy and paste process, did all right with the client's tags and saved it normally.
But I must say that Fluency has a great Portuguese dictionary for IT and get terms directly from Microsoft, I was very happy with the Tool before this happened! I also set my preferred websites to check for terms in Portuguese and it was also speeding up my translation. I did not even have to open the Browser to search for terms or accessing Proz.com term search since I set it as one of my terminology websites.

There are some fonts and colors that Trados and clients use to mark segments and untranslatable (not to be translated) and Fluency recognizes these too. Perhaps this is the reason for Fluency skipping over those segments? Not sure if it would have helped in this scenario, but you can always save out a translation memory for the document you are on by going to File > Save As and change the Type to Translation Memory Exchange (tmx) and then hit Save.

Maria Stella Tupynambá
Maria Stella Tupynambá
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the prompt support and reply Feb 15, 2012

Fluency Support wrote:

You will find that Fluency is also very compatible with other CAT tools. Fluency also supports the TTX, SDLXLIFF, and TXML formats. At this time, we do not support the Star Transit format, however, support for that format may be available in the next version of Fluency.

While Fluency does not have the biggest user base, that is largely due to the newness of the product. While our parent company has been in business since 1997 (so there is little concern that we will not be around in five years), Fluency has only been on the market since February of 2011. However, we are rapidly developing a strong user base, due to the benefits and features of Fluency, as well as, the excellent pricing available. We are a fraction of the cost for similar quality products.

If there are any questions, you can visit our website at fluencytranslation.com or contact us at the email above.

I also have to say here that the support was very good, nice relationship and thank you for providing me with more days to try Fluency!

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:30
English to French
+ ...
memoQ and SDLXLIFF (Trados Studio) : not 100% ok Feb 16, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I would say: go with memoQ, because it integrates very well with other CAT tools: for instance, it supports the TTX format (TagEditor), the SDLXLIFF format (SDL Trados Studio), the TXML format (Wordfast Pro) as well as the Star Transit format (which very few tools support).

I just took (Tuesday 14/02) a free webinar from Kilgray regarding integration with other Cat tools and they admit some issues with SDLXLIFF format at the moment.

I am a keen user of memoQ, and I don't see this as a big problem myself, as I work with clients who don't use SDL-Trados. I mainly deliver translated files in the source format (Indesign) and sometimes TMs in TMX format = no problem.

Maria Stella Tupynambá
Maria Stella Tupynambá
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDLXIFF and Fluency Feb 16, 2012

nordiste wrote:

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I just took (Tuesday 14/02) a free webinar from Kilgray regarding integration with other Cat tools and they admit some issues with SDLXLIFF format at the moment.

I am a keen user of memoQ, and I don't see this as a big problem myself, as I work with clients who don't use SDL-Trados. I mainly deliver translated files in the source format (Indesign) and sometimes TMs in TMX format = no problem.

Thanks for replying about sdlxliff files, I do use the Studio in many Projetcts and deliver sdlxliff files or return packages, as some of my clients are already working with Trados 2009 or 2011. I did not have any problems in saving one file that I've done in Fluency to my Studio, it opened normally and was saved correctly as sdlxliff. Mentioning that I already have Trados, so the second CAT would be a plus for me to be able to accelerate, work with pdfs and/or files that were converted somehow, etc.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Regarding new CAT Tool: Fluency

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »