Thread poster: Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 9, 2017

Hello,

I was just given the green light to work on a 19,000-word (according to analysis given by DVX3) project. I explained to the client that I will budget 20-40 hours (not based on wordcount) to deliver the final files.

Has anyone worked with .js and .xml files for a web-based application (eLearning) before? Based on my experience, I've dealt with different types of HTML and web files, but this is a first project of its type that I'll be working on DVX3.

... See more
Hello,

I was just given the green light to work on a 19,000-word (according to analysis given by DVX3) project. I explained to the client that I will budget 20-40 hours (not based on wordcount) to deliver the final files.

Has anyone worked with .js and .xml files for a web-based application (eLearning) before? Based on my experience, I've dealt with different types of HTML and web files, but this is a first project of its type that I'll be working on DVX3.

Your advise, suggestions and help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Mario/Lisbon
Collapse

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 14:05
Russian to English
+ ...
XML-files caused no problems in DVX3 May 9, 2017

Mario Chavez wrote:
Has anyone worked with .js and .xml files for a web-based application...

I have. With about 500 XML-files from Help&Manual application. It took me a little time to build an XML-filtre for import, but there were no problems upon that. What is your concern? If it is about the import-export, I think DVX works with these formats. See: https://atrilsolutions.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205383202-Supported-File-Formats

Good luck, Mario.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Slight issues with .js files May 10, 2017

Hi, VIP9N,

The xml files in the project yielded 0 words or text when I imported them into DVX3. Now, DVX3 has a .js (JavaScript) filter, so I had no trouble importing the .js files, but I get chunks like these:

K=X(T+j[3].width,F+B,Math.max(0,K-j[3].width),Math.max(0,W-j[2].width)).bottomLeft.subdivide(0.5);F=[];switch(n(b,"backgroundClip"))\{case "content-box":case "padding-box":m(F,o[0],o[1],s,q,i.left+j[3].width,i.top+j[0].width);m(F,o[1],o[2],q,r,i.left+i.width-j[1]
... See more
Hi, VIP9N,

The xml files in the project yielded 0 words or text when I imported them into DVX3. Now, DVX3 has a .js (JavaScript) filter, so I had no trouble importing the .js files, but I get chunks like these:

K=X(T+j[3].width,F+B,Math.max(0,K-j[3].width),Math.max(0,W-j[2].width)).bottomLeft.subdivide(0.5);F=[];switch(n(b,"backgroundClip"))\{case "content-box":case "padding-box":m(F,o[0],o[1],s,q,i.left+j[3].width,i.top+j[0].width);m(F,o[1],o[2],q,r,i.left+i.width-j[1].width,i.top+j[0].width);m(F,o[2],o[3],r,K,i.left+i.width-j[1].width,i.top+i.height-j[2].width);m(F,o[3],o[0],K,s,i.left+j[3].width,i.top+i.height-j[2].width);break;default:m(F,o[0],o[1],p,l,i.left,i.top),m(F,o[1],o[2],l,t,i.left+i.width,i.top), m(F,o[2],o[3],t,Q,i.left+i.width,i.top+i.height),m(F,o[3],o[0],Q,p,i.left,i.top+i.height)\}T=[];for(W=0;4>W;W++)if(0

That portion is part of the largest file I imported (about 19000 'words').

I wish I could manipulate the filter but a) I don't see how in the current DVX3 version and b) I don't know about regex or other strategies to finetune a filter.

Finally, the project, which involves about 63,000 words, crashes DVX3 whenever I try to do a pretranslate of the entire project. Not so if I work with each individual file. Maybe it's because DVX3 is still a 34-bit application.
Collapse

VIP9N
VIP9N
Russian to English
+ ...
Not so slight, as I see May 10, 2017

Considering discussions of previous years on Proz forum, I am to recognize that the issues regarding translation of that kind of files in CATs still exist. In spite of the formats declared by CAT-developers, by the way. Some of the discussions belo... See more
Considering discussions of previous years on Proz forum, I am to recognize that the issues regarding translation of that kind of files in CATs still exist. In spite of the formats declared by CAT-developers, by the way. Some of the discussions below:
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/59797-how_to_translate_js_files_using_cat_tools.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/248395-javascript_and_po_files.html
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/111104-java_script_files_*js.html

show that DVX is not a remedy for your task, but, probably, the Swordfish is the tool (free OmegaT also boasts to work with javascript files). If we are lucky, we would see some input from real DVX masters here, like Selcuk Akyuz, for example. As a rule, they know configuring filters, SQL language, etc. I am far from that.

In the Web, there are companies, which offer for sale their tools to deal with that kind of files. See http://www.preptags.com/ However, I am not sure whether those tools would work for you (or for me).

And even if you manage to get all translatable words out (and translate them successfully), it could happen that they fail to export into the files that the client considers acceptable.

Upon evaluation of all risks, I would either request help from a client’s programmer (who will assist you and provide you with translatable contents in a widespread format (like Excel), or drop the order. Sorry.

[Edited at 2017-05-10 18:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-05-10 18:18 GMT]
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
js files May 11, 2017

I did not translate, even did not see any js file, so I cannot comment on it. But DVX3 js filter was improved in one of the recent builds. Did you try using the jsp filter with "Ignore Strings in Scripts"?

Selcuk

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, good idea May 12, 2017

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I did not translate, even did not see any js file, so I cannot comment on it. But DVX3 js filter was improved in one of the recent builds. Did you try using the jsp filter with "Ignore Strings in Scripts"?

Selcuk

Hi, Selcuk,

I didn't choose that option but I will. Client needs to reconfirm the project now (loud groan).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with .js and .xml files for web-based application translation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »