Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:26
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, yeah, I got that far, but … Oct 27, 2016

What do I need to enter exactly, for say, "enz.", or "o.i.d.", so they don't break the sentence?

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
See here: Oct 27, 2016

https://atrilsolutions.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205533591

Look for 'Avoid splitting a German sentence at "z.B."' at the end.

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

What do I need to enter exactly, for say, "enz.", or "o.i.d.", so they don't break the sentence?

[Edited at 2016-10-27 13:40 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot! Oct 27, 2016

Alistair Gainey wrote:

https://atrilsolutions.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205533591

Look for 'Avoid splitting a German sentence at "z.B."' at the end.

[Edited at 2016-10-27 13:40 GMT]

That was exactly what I was looking for!

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK, next question: Oct 27, 2016

Is there any way to sort the hits in the "AutoSearch – Portions" windows alphabetically? This is usually one of the first things I do in a CAT tool, if it's supported. I find it impossible to find anything in a long list if it isn't alphabetically sorted.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no completion percentages in "File > Deliver" (like in the Project Explorer)? Oct 27, 2016

It would be very useful if completion percentages were also shown in File > Deliver, like in the Project Explorer. I have a multi-file project, where I have to deliver in 3 batches. So I've now finished five or six files and would like to export only what's already done. However, when I go to File > Deliver, I obviously can't see which ones are finished yet. I solved this by taking a screenshot of the Project Explorer window, sticking it on my second screen and then opening File... See more
It would be very useful if completion percentages were also shown in File > Deliver, like in the Project Explorer. I have a multi-file project, where I have to deliver in 3 batches. So I've now finished five or six files and would like to export only what's already done. However, when I go to File > Deliver, I obviously can't see which ones are finished yet. I solved this by taking a screenshot of the Project Explorer window, sticking it on my second screen and then opening File > DeliverCollapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:26
English to Turkish
+ ...
Thanks for pointing out this menu Oct 27, 2016

It would be very useful if completion percentages were also shown in File > Deliver, like in the Project Explorer. I have a multi-file project, where I have to deliver in 3 batches. So I've now finished five or six files and would like to export only what's already done. However, when I go to File > Deliver, I obviously can't see which ones are finished yet. I solved this by taking a screenshot of the Project Explorer window, sticking it on my second screen and then opening File > Deliver

I always use the Project Explorer (and sometimes the Advanced Project Explorer). I did not even notice that there was a Deliver menu.

Yes, there is some room for some cosmetic changes here; e.g. resizing, no. of words, segments, percentage. Even some other information can be displayed here, such as completion date, file status (exported/delivered or not), and filtering could be used as well.

On the other hand some people may like the current design of this page

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:26
English to Turkish
+ ...
No sorting Oct 27, 2016

Is there any way to sort the hits in the "AutoSearch – Portions" windows alphabetically? This is usually one of the first things I do in a CAT tool, if it's supported. I find it impossible to find anything in a long list if it isn't alphabetically sorted.

Michael

I am not lost in this window, even when there are 80-100 hits. But feel free to make feature requests at https://atrilsolutions.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Alistair Gainey
United Kingdom
Russian to English
Same here Oct 27, 2016

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

I always use the Project Explorer (and sometimes the Advanced Project Explorer). I did not even notice that there was a Deliver menu.

In fact, I can't see what the Deliver menu offers that you can't do simply by right-clicking the files in the Project Explorer window (the finished ones are marked 100%) and choosing Export.

Thank you for the suggestions link. I have made one (omitting shorter terms from the AutoSearch window if they are part of a longer term -i.e., so that if you have translations for "North", "America" and "North America" in your Termbase, the AutoSearch window won't show all three when "North America" appears in the source text).

Interestingly, though, when I was doing this I came across a link on how DVX3 deals with synonyms:

https://atrilsolutions.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205456171?input_string=autosearch

I was already aware of the first method, but the second was new to me.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 06:26
Is that what you need? Oct 28, 2016

Alistair Gainey wrote:

Interestingly, though, when I was doing this I came across a link on how DVX3 deals with synonyms:

https://atrilsolutions.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205456171?input_string=autosearch

The second method only shows any stored alternative translation of a recognized source term.

I think that Michael is looking for a way to store source-side synonyms (like in CT): multiple Dutch source terms that he'd like to translate with the same English target term:

poes;kat;dakhaas = cat

(This all probably to increase terminological consistency of the translation, whenever this is desired)

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
~ Oct 28, 2016

Alistair Gainey wrote:

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

In fact, I can't see what the Deliver menu offers that you can't do simply by right-clicking the files in the Project Explorer window (the finished ones are marked 100%) and choosing Export.

Thank you for the suggestions link. I have made one (omitting shorter terms from the AutoSearch window if they are part of a longer term -i.e., so that if you have translations for "North", "America" and "North America" in your Termbase, the AutoSearch window won't show all three when "North America" appears in the source text).

The difference, and a useful one for me, is the Deliver menu allows you to select multiple documents in a multi-document project. If I had used the Project Explorer yesterday, I'd have had to manually select and export seven different times.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
poes;poesje;kat;kater;dakhaas;Tom = cat Oct 28, 2016

CafeTran Training wrote:

Alistair Gainey wrote:

The second method only shows any stored alternative translation of a recognized source term.

I think that Michael is looking for a way to store source-side synonyms (like in CT): multiple Dutch source terms that he'd like to translate with the same English target term:

poes;kat;dakhaas = cat

(This all probably to increase terminological consistency of the translation, whenever this is desired)

Showing synonyms as an attribute might be useful in certain scenarios, but being able to actually use synonyms is much more useful in my daily work. Keeping my fingers crossed that that's one of the things Atril will add in the new release people are whispering about.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to select a number of segments and clear their contents? Oct 28, 2016

I pressed Enter (to go into selection mode), selected 6 segments, then did: Right-click > Clear > Current segment. However, only the first segment in my selection was cleared. So I clicked: Clear > All segments, thinking that only those that I had selected would be cleared. Ho ho ho, this obviously wasn't the case. Yes, you can stop laughing now. DVX3 cleared all the translations in my entire (20-document) project... See more
I pressed Enter (to go into selection mode), selected 6 segments, then did: Right-click > Clear > Current segment. However, only the first segment in my selection was cleared. So I clicked: Clear > All segments, thinking that only those that I had selected would be cleared. Ho ho ho, this obviously wasn't the case. Yes, you can stop laughing now. DVX3 cleared all the translations in my entire (20-document) project

So my question is: is there an easy way to select a number of segments and clear their contents?

By the way: THANK GOD FOR Windows 10's File History, as I was able to quickly restore my project.dvprj file back to before I did this.

[Edited at 2016-10-28 12:23 GMT]
Collapse

Alistair Gainey
United Kingdom
Russian to English
I don't think you can. Oct 28, 2016

I pressed Enter (to go into selection mode), selected 6 segments, then did: Right-click > Clear > Current segment. However, only the first segment in my selection was cleared. So I clicked: Clear > All segments, thinking that only those that I had selected would be cleared. Ho ho ho, this obviously wasn't the case. Yes, you can stop laughing now. DVX3 cleared all the translations in my entire (20-document) project

So my question is: is there an easy way to select a number of segments and clear their contents?

By the way: THANK GOD FOR Windows 10's File History, as I was able to quickly restore my project.dvprj file back to before I did this.

This looks like another "to-do" thing. But I don't understand why it cleared all the translations in every document. When I tried this, it cleared the translations in the open file, but left the others untouched.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Project > Open All Files Oct 28, 2016

Alistair Gainey wrote:

This looks like another "to-do" thing. But I don't understand why it cleared all the translations in every document. When I tried this, it cleared the translations in the open file, but left the others untouched.

I was working on all the files simultaneously, via Project > Open All Files.

Alistair Gainey
United Kingdom
Russian to English
Ah, I see Oct 28, 2016

The difference, and a useful one for me, is the Deliver menu allows you to select multiple documents in a multi-document project. If I had used the Project Explorer yesterday, I'd have had to manually select and export seven different times.

Ah yes. I see what you mean But you can do this with the Advanced Project Explorer. Admittedly, that window doesn't show the percentages either. But you can at least still see the files on the regular Project Explorer window, so you can see which ones you've finished.

[Edited at 2016-10-28 12:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-10-28 12:36 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to DVX3. How can I …

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »