Thread poster: Matthias Brombach
Wojciech_ (X)
Wojciech_ (X)
Poland
Local time: 16:38
English to Polish
+ ...
For anyone interested Jan 22, 2017

If you're interested, this is an e-mail message I received from Etienne from Atril, in September 2015 (so quite a long time ago). I don't know if anything has changed since then, but still.
This wasn't an extremely confidential correspondence, so I hope they don't mind.
The bits of text in italics are the excerpts from my original mail to which Etienne was replying.
Here we go:

&&&&
Etienne (Atril Solutions)
Oct 1, 17:24
Hi Wojciech!
Sor
... See more
If you're interested, this is an e-mail message I received from Etienne from Atril, in September 2015 (so quite a long time ago). I don't know if anything has changed since then, but still.
This wasn't an extremely confidential correspondence, so I hope they don't mind.
The bits of text in italics are the excerpts from my original mail to which Etienne was replying.
Here we go:

&&&&
Hi Wojciech!
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, the last days were pretty busy (proz events and such).
Well, make no mistake: i'm reading the proz forum every week at least and i'm taking good notes of all the requests.
We added a good amount of them that were discussed in the "Bugs and aeras to improve" in previous builds of DVX3.
By the way, thank you for your feedback which is always interesting.
I cannot share toooooo much but I can tell you that the main features that have been discussed will be implemented in a near future. We want to do it in the best possible way so it will take some more time, but you can expect big news soon.
I especially look forward to the glossary highlighting
In the pipeline
quick glossary selection (for entering terms)
In the pipeline
Autowrite for numbers and proper names
In the pipeline
Regarding the "web search" feature - I was thinking about something that could replace the Intelliwebsearch solution that I'm using now. Namely, a built-in browser where a user could pre-define search engines (Linguee, glosbe, proz.com terminology etc) and use them during the translation process. You could, for example, highlight a term or a phrase in the source text, then hit a key shortcut for DVX to produce a window (preferably auto-hiding one) to see the result in Linguee etc. It would also be great if then in the browser window you could highlight the found translation and hit a key shortcut to paste the translated text directly to your target segment.
Yes, we would like that as well (with a link tothe IATB termmbase as wel) but we have to make sure that it would not slow DVX3 down.
Also - probably it's more difficult to implement, but would it be possible to set separate font size for the active segment and the ones already translated and not translated yet? I like to have large font sizes (16 or even 18) for the active segment, but presently this must also apply to other segments and in consequence there’s little text you can see around the active segment (because all the other segments also have large fonts).
We are thinking about this for quite a while.
I’m presently trying such a plug-in with a demo of Trados 2015 and it’s frankly very useful. I can, for example make a rule to convert all English numbering (e.g. 1,000 or decimal 1.5) into continental one (1000 or 1 000 or even Polish 1 tys. and decimal 1,5 ), and all of this is fed to me via Autosuggest. A great feature, in my humble opinion.
Well you can also do this in DVX3 right now using RexExs in the search & replace module. What is missing is the automization of such things.
This, also, will come
Thank you for getting back to me.
Please understand that i cannot share too much on Proz - there is no date yet.
Have a great day,
Etienne
Kind regards,
Etienne

[Edited at 2017-01-22 00:13 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-01-22 15:35 GMT]
Collapse

Rob Edwards
Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:38
Member (2008)
German to English
Interesting... Jan 23, 2017

Wojciech Matyszkiewicz wrote:

Here we go:

&&&&
Hi Wojciech!
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, the last days were pretty busy (proz events and such).
Well, make no mistake: i'm reading the proz forum every week at least and i'm taking good notes of all the requests.
We added a good amount of them that were discussed in the "Bugs and aeras to improve" in previous builds of DVX3.
By the way, thank you for your feedback which is always interesting.
I cannot share toooooo much but I can tell you that the main features that have been discussed will be implemented in a near future. We want to do it in the best possible way so it will take some more time, but you can expect big news soon.
I especially look forward to the glossary highlighting
In the pipeline
quick glossary selection (for entering terms)
In the pipeline
Autowrite for numbers and proper names
In the pipeline
Regarding the "web search" feature - I was thinking about something that could replace the Intelliwebsearch solution that I'm using now. Namely, a built-in browser where a user could pre-define search engines (Linguee, glosbe, proz.com terminology etc) and use them during the translation process. You could, for example, highlight a term or a phrase in the source text, then hit a key shortcut for DVX to produce a window (preferably auto-hiding one) to see the result in Linguee etc. It would also be great if then in the browser window you could highlight the found translation and hit a key shortcut to paste the translated text directly to your target segment.
Yes, we would like that as well (with a link tothe IATB termmbase as wel) but we have to make sure that it would not slow DVX3 down.
Also - probably it's more difficult to implement, but would it be possible to set separate font size for the active segment and the ones already translated and not translated yet? I like to have large font sizes (16 or even 18) for the active segment, but presently this must also apply to other segments and in consequence there’s little text you can see around the active segment (because all the other segments also have large fonts).
We are thinking about this for quite a while.
I’m presently trying such a plug-in with a demo of Trados 2015 and it’s frankly very useful. I can, for example make a rule to convert all English numbering (e.g. 1,000 or decimal 1.5) into continental one (1000 or 1 000 or even Polish 1 tys. and decimal 1,5 ), and all of this is fed to me via Autosuggest. A great feature, in my humble opinion.
Well you can also do this in DVX3 right now using RexExs in the search & replace module. What is missing is the automization of such things.
This, also, will come
Thank you for getting back to me.
Please understand that i cannot share too much on Proz - there is no date yet.
Have a great day,
Etienne
Kind regards,
Etienne

Thanks Wojciech! That is quite interesting. Hopefully much of that is covered in the final and upcoming update to DVX3. I guess web search will probably come in DVX4.

Atril_TEAM
Atril_TEAM
France
Sorry for the silence... Jan 23, 2017

...we really need a community manager, right?!

So, some news:

• New website almost finished

• New build being tested - with one long awaited request that has been implemented

• Mind blowing new features for the next version to be unleashed in 2017 (yes, I said it)

• Happy new year to you all, and do not bury us just yet.
    Cheers,
    Etienne

Matthias Brombach
    Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
    Germany
    Member (2007)
    Dutch to German
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    Thanks, Etienne! Jan 23, 2017

Atril_TEAM wrote:

... perhaps a more efficient marketing management would do in (still) one of the top forums for professional translators. Our fellow translators have been swallowing imperfect products for years now just because of the clever marketing strategies of your competitors.

Rob Edwards
    Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
    Member (2008)
    German to English
    Great news! Jan 23, 2017

Atril_TEAM wrote:

So, some news:

• New website almost finished

• New build being tested - with one long awaited request that has been implemented

• Mind blowing new features for the next version to be unleashed in 2017 (yes, I said it)

• Happy new year to you all, and do not bury us just yet.
    Cheers,
    Etienne

Thanks Etienne. Good to know that things are still happening and there is much to look forward to...

Wojciech_ (X)
    Wojciech_ (X)
    Poland
    English to Polish
    + ...
    Good to know Jan 24, 2017

Thanks, Etienne, it's really a good thing to know that you're working on the new builds.
    Since our correspondence I've bought Trados, but I'm eager to put my hands on the new improved Deja Vu, as well.

So far, Trados has slightly let me down with its slowness and mediocre termbase handling, as well as, unfortunately its upLift feature, which was supposed to be a breakthrough, but turned out to be an improved version of their Autosuggest Dictionaries...
    See more
    Thanks, Etienne, it's really a good thing to know that you're working on the new builds.
    Since our correspondence I've bought Trados, but I'm eager to put my hands on the new improved Deja Vu, as well.

So far, Trados has slightly let me down with its slowness and mediocre termbase handling, as well as, unfortunately its upLift feature, which was supposed to be a breakthrough, but turned out to be an improved version of their Autosuggest Dictionaries

There is, however, one area, where it stands above Deja Vu - namely the autosuggest feature. The suggestions are quite clever, e.g. they automatically adjust the case to your needs, and I find them really helpful.
    I do hope that Atril will be able to come up with something equally intuitive.
    Collapse

Michael Beijer
    Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
    United Kingdom
    Member (2009)
    Dutch to English
    + ...
    why not just use Omni-Lookup (formerly "Multifultor") or IntelliWeSearch? Jan 24, 2017

Rob Edwards wrote:

Here we go:

[…]

Thanks Wojciech! That is quite interesting. Hopefully much of that is covered in the final and upcoming update to DVX3. I guess web search will probably come in DVX4.

I don't really see much point in integrating a web search into a CAT tool when we already have:

https://omni-lookup.de/ + http://www.intelliwebsearch.com/

I don't mind it being added, but, as Etienne said, as long as it doesn't slow DVX4 down at all or add any unnecessary bloat. I have come to very much appreciate just how basic and simple the DVX UI is compared to its competitors (memoQ and especially Studio, which is just a mess really, interface-wise).

Michael

Olav Karlsen
    Olav Karlsen
    Norway
    English to Norwegian
    + ...
    Autosuggest Jan 25, 2017

So far, Trados has slightly let me down with its slowness and mediocre termbase handling, as well as, unfortunately its upLift feature, which was supposed to be a breakthrough, but turned out to be an improved version of their Autosuggest Dictionaries

There is, however, one area, where it stands above Deja Vu - namely the autosuggest feature. The suggestions are quite clever, e.g. they automatically adjust the case to your needs, and I find them really helpful.
    I do hope that Atril will be able to come up with something equally intuitive.

Hopefully such a feature will keep DVX4 searching in the background, not slowing down the active work window, so that the operator is free to enter the translations he/she is sure of. Any findings suggesting a translation is wrong could then be looked into and corrections entered during the final proofreading process,

Wojciech_ (X)
    Wojciech_ (X)
    Poland
    English to Polish
    + ...
    Interesting... Jan 25, 2017

I would really like to know what this "mindblowing" stuff means...

Pavel Tsvetkov
    Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
    Bulgaria
    Local time: 17:38
    Member (2008)
    English to Bulgarian
    + ...

Moderator of this forum
    Term marking in source Jan 28, 2017

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to chime in a say that the next build of Déjà vu X3 will most probably include the much requested feature to mark recognized terms in the source segment.

Best regards,
    Pavel Tsvetkov

Wojciech_ (X)
    Wojciech_ (X)
    Poland
    English to Polish
    + ...
    Nice Jan 28, 2017

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to chime in a say that the next build of Déjà vu X3 will most probably include the much requested feature to mark recognized terms in the source segment.

Best regards,
    Pavel Tsvetkov

That's a great news. Hope they will include most of the requested ones in DVX4.

mikhailo
    mikhailo
    Local time: 18:38
    English to Russian
    + ...
    re Jan 29, 2017

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

Hi Everyone!

Best regards,
    Pavel Tsvetkov

That's a great news. Hope they will include most of the requested ones in DVX4.

Just a question. How will this feature deal with flexion languages? For now filter in DVX does not support search of all wordforms.
    Most of langs has a limited flexion (different sing.-pl. forms) but DVX does not support even them.

How could such defective function be very useful?

Features to request

1. Filter of segs with spelling errors.
    2. once again ------ Possibility to GO TO NEXT EMPTY at CTRL DOWN.
    3. Colorizing ---- segs from different project docs, segs with different type of QA errors, diff types of segs (instead of checkmarks)
    4. Easy way to join part of project files in Views (with saving such veiws in project - for project with multiple documents, divided in chaps)
    5. Possibility of moving documents in project (for sets of xml pages or elements from different programs),
    6. Supporting the new trados-type segment joining for SDLXLIFF - just copying all joining segments to first segment and emptying and locking following - for segments that now DVX can't join.

Wojciech_ (X)
    Wojciech_ (X)
    Poland
    English to Polish
    + ...
    It's there Jan 29, 2017

mikhailo wrote:

Just a question. How will this feature deal with flexion languages? For now filter in DVX does not support search of all wordforms.
    Most of langs has a limited flexion (different sing.-pl. forms) but DVX does not support even them.

How could such defective function be very useful?

But it's already there. Set the minimum score to about 70% and enable fuzzy terminology match and voila.
    There might be some false positives, but as far as I know, no CAT tool does better here. Fuzzy matches is the only choice to deal with terminology in inflected languages.

Epameinondas Soufleros
    Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
    Greece
    Local time: 17:38
    Member (2008)
    English to Greek
    + ...
    Other choices exist Jan 30, 2017

Fuzzy matches is the only choice to deal with terminology in inflected languages.

This is not the only choice. You can do it like Kilgray with pipes and asterisks to separate the fixed beginning from the variable ending, or you can offer a full RegEx solution like this:

(άνθρωπος|ανθρώπου|άνθρωπο|άνθρωποι|ανθρώπων|ανθρώπους)

or like this:

(άνθρωπ(ος|ο|οι)|ανθρώπ(ου|ων|ους))

The first is what an inexperienced user would prefer, the second is for more advanced users. They both work on the basis of the same ‘mechanism’, so there's no need for the software manufacturer to select either one or the other solution.

mikhailo
    mikhailo
    Local time: 18:38
    English to Russian
    + ...
    re Feb 3, 2017

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

Fuzzy matches is the only choice to deal with terminology in inflected languages.

This is not the only choice. You can do it like Kilgray with pipes and asterisks to separate the fixed beginning from the variable ending, or you can offer a full RegEx solution like this:

(άνθρωπος|ανθρώπου|άνθρωπο|άνθρωποι|ανθρώπων|ανθρώπους)

or like this:

(άνθρωπ(ος|ο|οι)|ανθρώπ(ου|ων|ους))

The first is what an inexperienced user would prefer, the second is for more advanced users. They both work on the basis of the same ‘mechanism’, so there's no need for the software manufacturer to select either one or the other solution.

There are Hunspell dicts and engine that can generate all wordforms without any additional regexes. So I propose to work into this direction.

Another thing that can be implemented right now - Filter for part of word - bed and beds can be filtered with bed, but now filter by default use word boundaries (WB) and do not filter beds. For saving the way existing filter working - just add submenu Filter exactly (default), filter+1symbol+WB (bed for beds), Filter+2symbols+WB (Toss->Tosses), Filter-1 last symbol -W/O WB, Filter -2 last symbols -w/O WB

WITH HUNSPELL only 2 submenu are needed - Filter Exactly and Filter all Wordforms

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there anybody out there?

Protemos translation business management system
    Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
    CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »